Back to Photography Techniques: Light, Content, and Sharing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Photography Techniques: Light, Content, and Sharing by Michigan State University

Welcome to Course FOUR! In Modules 1-4 you will cover the final elements of the Specialization necessary to round out this introduction to the fundamentals of Photography, and prepare you for creating your own exciting project in the Capstone! You have come a long way since the beginning of this journey from Smartphone Basics to DSLR and Beyond. Just think of all the information you have absorbed and put to use in your assignments and quizzes, and the confidence you have gained that you CAN control the camera to make pictures you are proud to share. Here in Course Four you will start by gaining knowledge related to content in photography, from fact to fiction, documentary to purely expressive. Next you will learn principles, tips, and techniques for using the essential element of Light in Ambient/Natural settings. The flash/strobe unit, whether it is built-in to your camera or an add-on "hotshoe" model, will finally be something you, not the camera, controls! You will prove to yourself that those former mysteries of Controlled Continuous and Strobe lighting will no longer be mysterious, as you apply your knowledge to creation of assignment photographs in various situations. Sharing those pictures in Peer Review will give you the opportunity to learn from your fellow photographers' solutions to lighting challenges, and to gain insight into your own work and creative approaches too. There is an important word to share about Peer Review assignments for this course. As photographers who have accomplished the quiz and photography requirements of Courses One through Three, you have the knowledge and capability to create quality photographs at a much higher rate of success, and in a much shorter time, than when you began. You have also proven that you are a dedicated Learner, someone who has a passion for photography and is willing to put forth the extra effort necessary to accomplish your goals. This Course is the last before the Capstone Course, in which you will be tasked with creating a project over a 2-month period of dedicated photography. The Peer Review photography assignments have been structured with both your advanced capabilities and dedication in mind...in other words, they will require both! Be prepared to allocate more time than you have in previous Courses for the assignments, because they will take more time and because you will really enjoy them! Course Four ends with an overview of methods for finalizing your pictures in print form, including simple but effective matting techniques, and in web page designs as well. The pleasures and perils of sharing in social media sites are also yours to discover. Protecting your copyrights by understanding that concept and the ways that you can assert them, being careful about blogs and other outlets, and recognizing you are part of a community that respects the individual's creative effort, well that is important knowledge to have in preparation for the Capstone too! Let's get started with Module One!...

DR

Jan 11, 2018

This is an excellent course. I found the description rather intimidating but was very pleased with how it worked out. At least according to the peer reviews I submitted my best work in Course 4.

AT

Dec 02, 2017

Great course structure. Great Professors and Mentors. This course has really help me grow a lot as a photographer. I'm so thankful to Coursera & MSU for putting such a great course for learners.

1 - 25 of 121 Reviews for Photography Techniques: Light, Content, and Sharing

By Leticia A N

Mar 19, 2018

As in overall comment for all this specialization, Professors have a very good didactics and you can progress on your rythim balancing theorical and practical. I definitly recommend this course for all photography lovers who want to get the basic knowladge and advance on their skills!

By Marcy W

Apr 30, 2018

Sometimes find it difficult to be judged by others, I wish that the professors would grade the photos.

By Vavalios K

Jul 17, 2017

The content might me good but the presentation and the presenters mostly, are so boring! Dull speech in front of a green screen lost me at approximately 15 minutes.

By 赵兴

Oct 07, 2019

The sound is too low and comes with too much noise

By Pamela F

Oct 17, 2016

This was a fantastic course that help fill technical gaps in my knowledge of my camera and DIIY studios. There were days that were easy and then there were those that challenged me tremendously. The math was always tough. As a young student deciding on what university I would attend, for my degree in design I had to choose a school that did not have math in my curriculum. Visual arts are my strength. Peter's teaching style of descriptive definitions and instruction, made this class something I look forward to everyday. Students in your real world, Peter, are very lucky to have you as a mentor and a teacher. Those of us, in your virtual world will just have to settle for the lectures that we have on our screen.

By Ilona P

Nov 19, 2016

Thank you very much for this great specialization! I joined Part 1-4 and learned so much about Photography. I always was interested in Photography. This course helped me to find out, which camera suits me best, conducted me with my first steps in advanced Photography and helped me to increase my photographic skills to the point i am now.

Thank you for this great journey you took me in the last months!

The Journey has just begun!

By Neil B

Apr 27, 2017

Each specialization has been better than the previous one, and I have learned so much. The sad part for me is that with everything I learn I understand how much more I need to learn. But having said that, this course and the professors are wonderful, and their excitement about photography is conveyed in every class.

By Eiko S

Sep 07, 2018

The introduction of the course says that this is a basic photography course though, details are more beyond the basic. My knowledge becomes rather deeper for the photography and the technique of taking photos, which is great and I am very thrilled to dig the knowledge deeper more!!

By JEANNIE S

Sep 01, 2017

Now I know how to use my camera! I have changed from a point-and-clicker to a budding photographer. I am not yet a pro but I am on my way. Thank you to Peter Glendinning and Mark Valentine Sullivan, who have both helped me learn and also inspired with their own work.

By James L

Apr 07, 2017

Very comprehensive lessons, easy to understand professors & practical tasks that are very useful in applying the knowledge learned. I highly recommend these courses at the Michigan State University specially to the busy people who prefers practice than theories!

By crystal j l

Jul 25, 2016

This was great It made me think of the Social media aspect of the Photography buisness in a different light. I was really blown away the way they helped me with lighting in this course. I can't wait for the capstone project next. Don't miss this course.

By Julie I R

Jun 29, 2016

I have greatly enjoyed this lessons and learned a lot about light, ambient and controlled. Thank you, professors Peter and mark for sharing your knowledge with us and for making all of this concepts easy to understand.

By Bethany M

Sep 08, 2019

I adore Professor Glendinning. I like that the classes aren't dry and easy to follow. It truly feels like you have your own professor sitting on your screen in front of you. The classes are very informative.

By Roberto B

Jul 21, 2019

Did not expected. The information in this course was the click I was waiting for... get you to get money from your passion (if you want to). And Do´s and dont´s of sharing online... 100% Satisfied

By David R

Jan 11, 2018

By Avinash T

Dec 02, 2017

By Jannice P

Oct 22, 2019

Love these courses, I can not wait to start the Capstone course. I love how the professors want to help you improve, and that they try to keep it light ( as not boring) , and knowledgeable.

By Partyk Ł

Dec 21, 2017

This is my 4th course in this series. I am going to to finally stage The Capsture Project. But now straight away. I need to practice and have some beak then I am taking the last one

By Maria F H F

Feb 04, 2018

I think is an amazing course where you can learn and actually make sense of some tools in your camera, also as how to protect your work. I am very happy with this specialization

By Alexandra L

Jul 06, 2017

I use Blurb to make photo books with my pics from holidays. When I opened my last book I had the impression that it was "too blue". After finishing this course I know why :).

By Owen M

May 23, 2019

I really enjoyed the course content and the delivery. Prof Glendinning is very encouraging and does a great delivery. Definitely recommended. Thank you for all I've learnt.

By jamilamostafa

Jan 12, 2018

at the first course after a while i wanted to go and try to take a picture then i took at and my family liked it coursera is a great opportunity to help you learn or creat

By Sheilah S

Jul 03, 2018

This was the course out of the first 4 that was the most challenging and the one where I learned the most. Good thing that videos can be rewatched and rewatched.

By Larry B

Mar 06, 2020

Great course. I really learned more than I could have imagined about protecting my photos. A must for all photographers sharing their photos.

By Ricardo V F

Feb 02, 2017

Now I know how to use basic lighting to make it seem like I have a very complex photography study... Thanks for all the tips and information.