Back to Photography Techniques: Light, Content, and Sharing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Photography Techniques: Light, Content, and Sharing by Michigan State University

Welcome to Course FOUR! In Modules 1-4 you will cover the final elements of the Specialization necessary to round out this introduction to the fundamentals of Photography, and prepare you for creating your own exciting project in the Capstone! You have come a long way since the beginning of this journey from Smartphone Basics to DSLR and Beyond. Just think of all the information you have absorbed and put to use in your assignments and quizzes, and the confidence you have gained that you CAN control the camera to make pictures you are proud to share. Here in Course Four you will start by gaining knowledge related to content in photography, from fact to fiction, documentary to purely expressive. Next you will learn principles, tips, and techniques for using the essential element of Light in Ambient/Natural settings. The flash/strobe unit, whether it is built-in to your camera or an add-on "hotshoe" model, will finally be something you, not the camera, controls! You will prove to yourself that those former mysteries of Controlled Continuous and Strobe lighting will no longer be mysterious, as you apply your knowledge to creation of assignment photographs in various situations. Sharing those pictures in Peer Review will give you the opportunity to learn from your fellow photographers' solutions to lighting challenges, and to gain insight into your own work and creative approaches too. There is an important word to share about Peer Review assignments for this course. As photographers who have accomplished the quiz and photography requirements of Courses One through Three, you have the knowledge and capability to create quality photographs at a much higher rate of success, and in a much shorter time, than when you began. You have also proven that you are a dedicated Learner, someone who has a passion for photography and is willing to put forth the extra effort necessary to accomplish your goals. This Course is the last before the Capstone Course, in which you will be tasked with creating a project over a 2-month period of dedicated photography. The Peer Review photography assignments have been structured with both your advanced capabilities and dedication in mind...in other words, they will require both! Be prepared to allocate more time than you have in previous Courses for the assignments, because they will take more time and because you will really enjoy them! Course Four ends with an overview of methods for finalizing your pictures in print form, including simple but effective matting techniques, and in web page designs as well. The pleasures and perils of sharing in social media sites are also yours to discover. Protecting your copyrights by understanding that concept and the ways that you can assert them, being careful about blogs and other outlets, and recognizing you are part of a community that respects the individual's creative effort, well that is important knowledge to have in preparation for the Capstone too! Let's get started with Module One!...

DR

Jan 11, 2018

This is an excellent course. I found the description rather intimidating but was very pleased with how it worked out. At least according to the peer reviews I submitted my best work in Course 4.

AT

Dec 02, 2017

Great course structure. Great Professors and Mentors. This course has really help me grow a lot as a photographer. I'm so thankful to Coursera & MSU for putting such a great course for learners.

1 - 25 of 109 Reviews for Photography Techniques: Light, Content, and Sharing

By Marcy W

Apr 30, 2018

Sometimes find it difficult to be judged by others, I wish that the professors would grade the photos.

By Leticia A N

Mar 19, 2018

As in overall comment for all this specialization, Professors have a very good didactics and you can progress on your rythim balancing theorical and practical. I definitly recommend this course for all photography lovers who want to get the basic knowladge and advance on their skills!

By Vavalios K

Jul 17, 2017

The content might me good but the presentation and the presenters mostly, are so boring! Dull speech in front of a green screen lost me at approximately 15 minutes.

By 赵兴

Oct 07, 2019

The sound is too low and comes with too much noise

By Elyasin S

Feb 03, 2019

Very helpful and useful course. It is a bit US focused, but that is ok for me.

By Karen W

Feb 04, 2019

a very very helpful class that delves deeper into lighting. the section on copyright and the internet was outstanding

By Shamily K

Feb 07, 2019

I like my professors teaching

By joanna d s

Nov 08, 2018

highly recommended

By Abdurrahman S

Jan 25, 2019

old but good

By Joshua H C D

Feb 26, 2019

One program that help me with the basic and that proves that this course has help me a lot and I am improving all days with this course.

By SURAJIT D

Mar 12, 2019

Excellent

By joy o

Mar 20, 2019

professors are amazing. learned so much about improving my photos with light and cnen, balance, etc.

By George B

Jan 13, 2019

Principles of Light is a nice course. It is merely an overview to the concept of light in photography.

By Bruce E

Aug 05, 2018

Another great course. I have learned an amazing amount in a short period of time. Thanks.

By Eiko S

Sep 07, 2018

The introduction of the course says that this is a basic photography course though, details are more beyond the basic. My knowledge becomes rather deeper for the photography and the technique of taking photos, which is great and I am very thrilled to dig the knowledge deeper more!!

By Enrico J

Jul 17, 2018

Very good course

By Neil B

Apr 27, 2017

Each specialization has been better than the previous one, and I have learned so much. The sad part for me is that with everything I learn I understand how much more I need to learn. But having said that, this course and the professors are wonderful, and their excitement about photography is conveyed in every class.

By Rossella D P

May 01, 2018

I like the course but the weeks are very dense and I did non like the tight deadline. It would be nice to have it divided in 6 weeks

By Julie L O I

Jun 27, 2016

I love it!

By rami h a

Jul 10, 2017

so valuable information , it helps me a lot to learn and improve my photography knowledge and skills.

By Alexandra L

Jul 06, 2017

I use Blurb to make photo books with my pics from holidays. When I opened my last book I had the impression that it was "too blue". After finishing this course I know why :).

By James L

Apr 07, 2017

Very comprehensive lessons, easy to understand professors & practical tasks that are very useful in applying the knowledge learned. I highly recommend these courses at the Michigan State University specially to the busy people who prefers practice than theories!

By Ygor G S

Jul 16, 2016

Nothing to say! I learnt many new interesting things!

By FERNANDO R

Mar 06, 2017

This course is a unique oportunity to learn photography, Professors Glendinning and Sullivan share all their knowledge whith us, thanks!

By 赵震波

Jan 02, 2017

It is a great class and teaches me a lot.