Back to Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills by University of Pennsylvania

Learn how to incorporate resilience interventions into your personal and professional life with Dr. Karen Reivich. In this course, you are exposed to the foundational research in resilience, including protective factors such as mental agility and optimism. Several types of resilience interventions are explored including cognitive strategies; strategies to manage anxiety and increase positive emotions such as gratitude; and a critical relationship enhancement skill. Throughout the course, you will hear examples of individuals using resilience skills in their personal and professional lives. Suggested prerequisites: Positive Psychology: Martin E. P. Seligman’s Visionary Science, Positive Psychology: Applications and Interventions and Positive Psychology: Character, Grit & Research Methods....

ZM

Sep 24, 2018

Excellent! There was some common sense here, but plenty of new data and tools anyone can use in both their personal and professional life. A must for every human who wants to get the most out of life.

NJ

Nov 03, 2018

Very useful course in building up resilience. Will take time to work on these skills but this course gives a good grounding by providing lots of helpful guidance and tips. So glad I did this course.

276 - 299 of 299 Reviews for Positive Psychology: Resilience Skills

By Jyosthna G

Aug 31, 2018

This course is really insightful. Dr Karen Reivich 's course delivery was very engaging and it was fun learning concepts in the field.

By Lieven C

Oct 27, 2018

I thought I am pretty resilient, including being knowledgable on the theory, but this course has really helped me seeing resilience from different perspectives and enables me to better help people around me.

By Elayne R

Sep 20, 2017

Really enjoyed the course!

By James J

Jun 07, 2017

I think this was one of the most worthwhile courses any person can take to better yourself. It is full of foundational skills that will help anyone for the rest of their lives.

I think the last two weeks of material sort of petered out. I wished there were more factual bullet points for each part. I also wished the assignments were more closed-ended instead of open-ended.

By Edwin P

Mar 02, 2018

Very good course with great practical applications that can be used in your day-to-day interactions/living.

By Jianhua H

Sep 03, 2017

More detail and practical course with some introducetion on the theories. It might be better if some implementation cases can be added as Module 5.

By Brian H

Jun 21, 2018

I found this helpful and Dr. Reivich explained things well.

By David K

Oct 09, 2017

Good course. Interesting. Only thing I would change is adding summary slides of the points the speaker makes. Other than than, I enjoyed it.

By Marco G

Feb 20, 2018

Maybe because I studied psychology I was expecting a little bit more detailed information for the topic. But the course overall was well structured, the videos had very good quality and the amount of scientific papers and the possibility to take surveys and tests are a nice variety. Go on with more courses, thanks alot!

By Justin P

May 22, 2018

Excellent presenter. More rigor needed in ‘assessments’ perhaps? Thoroughly enjoyed it

By David W

Oct 22, 2017

Learned very practical tools.

By Catalina P

Sep 28, 2017

Dr. Reivich is an amazing teacher and a warm and relatable human being. I would like to suggest the use of some slides, now and then, for the key concepts addressed in her videos.

By Judith C

Jun 04, 2017

I did like the course and did learn quite a few things. I would have been interested in a more in-dept look at each part of the course and found the quizzes rather easy in comparison to other MOOCS I did from other universities. But I liked it.

By Jennifer E

Jan 31, 2018

excellent course! I greatly enjoyed the perspective and strategies presented here.

By Halil O A

Nov 15, 2017

Highly recommend!

By Alessandra N

May 12, 2017

The course is good. Unfortunately several transcripts are missing. It would be nice to have them via email.

By Orlando C

Apr 13, 2018

Great course that is more heavily biased towards application(s) than research and findings which will likely serve most well. Specific techniques are laid-out in plain English.

This course is not as polished as some others. The instructor at times seems to simply be reading from her teleprompter. Other times she seems more engaging. I would have preferred a more consistent feeling of connection to Dr. Reivich. This can be challenging in this format but having seen it successfully done by other instructors it is unquestionably possible.

For some, the material will be powerful enough to overlook "roughness around the edges". It certainly was for me. Of the courses offered in this series, this one deeply resonates.

By Sacbe A I E

Jun 08, 2019

Great course, I would love to have more visual material to organize the concepts. But overall it was very good.

By Eleanor D A

Aug 14, 2019

This is another great course by the Penn State team - I loved Karen's presentation style, she gets you thinking and analysing rather than simply passively absorbing. It was a very practical course, relevant and interesting. The *only* down side for me is that the reading material was not provided in direct links, making it more time consuming and complex to seek out the relevant references. Otherwise, another fantastic course. Thank you!

By June O

Feb 22, 2019

It was quite useful in the beginning, but towards week 4 or week 5, my interest drifted because there was not much solid content being shared.

By Costantino S

Apr 01, 2018

I appreciated this course, but I believe it repeats many concepts already given in Martin Seligman's first course in this specialisation; I expected more focus on the actual topic of resilience.

By Bob R

Aug 06, 2017

I took this course because of Dr Reivetch (and her expertise was clear throughout), but overall I was disappointed in the course because

(a) There was ZERO use of media other than talking heads by Dr Reivetch..... not even one bullet-pointed slide, much less any illustration or animation of her points. She simply stood in one place, looked into the camera, and spoke for the entire duration of the course.

(b) As a practitioner, I was hoping for more help in teaching / training / supporting the development of Resilience skills in others. This couse was almost entirely Self-Helpy.

By Jamie L K

Aug 18, 2019

Pros:

1) Specific, actionable strategies to increase resilience.

2) It's an introduction to resilience.

Cons:

1) There is a blatant lack of diversity in the examples and scenarios where we applied resilience skills. This is especially important since my particular interest was how people from severely disadvantaged backgrounds use resilience to mitigate the socioeconomic effects of their background.

2) The optional readings on content not covered in this course require some kind of purchase.

3) This course is not rigorous (quizzes had questions with obvious answers), and lacks breath/scope (only goes in-depth with some, not all variables that affect resilience)

By Andrew K

Jan 15, 2018

Maybe I lost patience with this course by now as I didn't study much of this one