Back to Probabilistic Deep Learning with TensorFlow 2

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Probabilistic Deep Learning with TensorFlow 2 by Imperial College London

Welcome to this course on Probabilistic Deep Learning with TensorFlow! This course builds on the foundational concepts and skills for TensorFlow taught in the first two courses in this specialisation, and focuses on the probabilistic approach to deep learning. This is an increasingly important area of deep learning that aims to quantify the noise and uncertainty that is often present in real world datasets. This is a crucial aspect when using deep learning models in applications such as autonomous vehicles or medical diagnoses; we need the model to know what it doesn't know. You will learn how to develop probabilistic models with TensorFlow, making particular use of the TensorFlow Probability library, which is designed to make it easy to combine probabilistic models with deep learning. As such, this course can also be viewed as an introduction to the TensorFlow Probability library. You will learn how probability distributions can be represented and incorporated into deep learning models in TensorFlow, including Bayesian neural networks, normalising flows and variational autoencoders. You will learn how to develop models for uncertainty quantification, as well as generative models that can create new samples similar to those in the dataset, such as images of celebrity faces. You will put concepts that you learn about into practice straight away in practical, hands-on coding tutorials, which you will be guided through by a graduate teaching assistant. In addition there is a series of automatically graded programming assignments for you to consolidate your skills. At the end of the course, you will bring many of the concepts together in a Capstone Project, where you will develop a variational autoencoder algorithm to produce a generative model of a synthetic image dataset that you will create yourself. This course follows on from the previous two courses in the specialisation, Getting Started with TensorFlow 2 and Customising Your Models with TensorFlow 2. The additional prerequisite knowledge required in order to be successful in this course is a solid foundation in probability and statistics. In particular, it is assumed that you are familiar with standard probability distributions, probability density functions, and concepts such as maximum likelihood estimation, change of variables formula for random variables, and the evidence lower bound (ELBO) used in variational inference....

MD
Jul 26, 2021

A really valuable learning experience. With these courses, I now feel confident that I can apply the skills from the Deep Learning Specialization in a practical setting.

FK
Dec 28, 2020

Very good. Liked this course a lot, even though I recognize I should have had a better a background before taking it.

1 - 20 of 20 Reviews for Probabilistic Deep Learning with TensorFlow 2

By Asad K

Dec 10, 2020

This was a wonderful introduction, not only to TensorFlow probability but also to the basic fundamentals of probabilistic deep learning. This is also, to the best of my knowledge, the only MOOC that gives a somewhat holistic overview of this domain. I'd totally recommend this course to any beginner looking to quickly pick up tf probability.

By Carl T

Oct 26, 2020

Taught concepts were highly interesting and the video lectures were really great. They were very clear and pedagogical. Most TAs had pretty good walkthroughs too.

Why I cannot rate a perfect 5/5 is because many of the lab assignments contained warts and/or misleading instructions that need polish. However, as the course organizer has been frequenting the discussion forum and been very quick to adjust instructions when pointed out by participants, I'm sure the course has already improved greatly. My experience was a bit confused at times however, and I wasn't sure if I had done mistakes or if the automatic judge has bugs, at times.

Overall, I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in learning a modern API for generative modelling. I'm sure I'll come back to the more difficult concepts like the autoregressive trick in normalizing flows, and the change of variable formula, and hopefully having done this course will make those concepts a bit more familiar next time around for me.

Thanks for providing this course material! The future is truly now for online education. :D

By Nathan W

Apr 16, 2021

I really wanted to like this class. I got a lot out of the first two, but very little from this one. As others have hinted, this class is really not like the first two, it is much less general.. it does not just require stats knowledge, but is framed for stats people by stats people, using a library written by someone who does not seem to be clear on python or OOP libraries. There is very little discussion about what you are doing or why, instead treating it like an extension of a stats course where you are learning the function names for various combinations of techniques, but is not really an introduction to the mechanics of the library or of the techniques, with lots of links to 'go read this research paper'. Great for academics studying stats, but the utility to a more general deep learning audience (like the other 2 classes) is limited.

it would probably do well as a stand alone class, but feels out of place in this specialization. The actual topics are really fascinating and worth learning, but the framing is a real barrier to that.

but others got a lot out of it, so take my review with a grain of salt.

By Fabio K

Dec 29, 2020

By Omkar K

Mar 9, 2021

Only reason I gave 3 stars is it is definitely NOT a 5 week course. It took me a good 2 months (with a week or so of being pulled off to work commitments). It covers a lot of concepts which need a ton of background. It is dependent on the previous two TF2.0 specialization courses but this specialization is sorely missing one more 5 week course in between the 2nd and 3rd course and that is the Statistics Concepts. Without this I felt that I could not take advantage of the great introduction to all the tools in the Prob deep learning with TF2.0 course.

By Marcelo B

May 19, 2021

Interesting course, full of information to implement interesting basic statistical models. I would suggest adding the mathematical background to better explain the interfaces. The course requires previous knowledge in VAE, ELBO derivation, and strong statistic theory. Recommended!

By Marios K

Nov 20, 2020

Really good course touching some really recent research in deep learning.

By Lu C I

Apr 1, 2021

While the content is good in terms of the lecture videos and most parts of the coding tutorials, there are a number of bugs in the coding tutorials and assignments. Unfortunately, from what I have seen in the discussion forums, there is no support from the course providers to either fix it or reply to feedback. This is unlike the Deeplearning.AI courses which have much better support

By Max K

Jan 31, 2021

Never recieved my grade. Contacted coursera support. They demanded another motnh of payment for the course or else I will not get my grade. Terrible practice and this is used to punish people that finish their course early since coursera will simply wait until you pay another month before the start grading your paper!

By Maxim V

Apr 7, 2021

Initially I wanted to do only Probabilistic DL (3rd course) because this material is not taught anywhere else as far as I am aware, but I learned quite a bit from other two courses as well even though I thought I knew the material. The entire specialisation is highly recommended, very good quality and very relevant content. The best of 2020 on Coursera, in my estimation.

By Anubhav T

Aug 21, 2021

Excellent course on tensorflow 2.0. Along with tensorflow 2.0, it also introduces and explains other algorithms in ML, including RealNVP, autoregressive flow, variational autoencoder, bayes by backprop to name a few. The assignments do actually test your skills learned during the week.

By Rajendra A

Jul 16, 2021

Excellent course material, contents, videos, assignments and capstone project. Thanks Imperial College London course team and coursera team for this course and specialisation on advance topics. Highly recommended.

By Michael D

Jul 27, 2021

By fan c

Mar 28, 2021

I learned to reproduce the paper with code.

By Jeffrey B

Mar 6, 2021

Great course! Challenging yet rewarding.

By Pathirage D

May 17, 2021

well structured course content.

By Matthieu R

Feb 25, 2021

Great course :)

By Kanji O

Apr 9, 2021

Excellent materials, videos, assignments, and the capstone project but all the great things are ruined by absence of instructors. There is literally no support from the course staff and Coursera Help Center even for system-related technical problems.

By Rafael O

Feb 28, 2021

The course content is really good and the overall idea of mixing theory, coding tutorials, readings and links to articles is genuinely good. Regretfully, mentors will not answer any of your questions. You are on your own. It is a shame.

By Selva K R

Apr 8, 2021

Good Course on Tensor Probability. However, I see a couple of opportunities to improve. During the course, mentors are not available, only students are exchanging. Some of the Models explanation is given as Reading material, instead of Teaching.