Back to Python for Data Science and AI

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Data Science and AI by IBM

This introduction to Python will kickstart your learning of Python for data science, as well as programming in general. This beginner-friendly Python course will take you from zero to programming in Python in a matter of hours. Module 1 - Python Basics o Your first program o Types o Expressions and Variables o String Operations Module 2 - Python Data Structures o Lists and Tuples o Sets o Dictionaries Module 3 - Python Programming Fundamentals o Conditions and Branching o Loops o Functions o Objects and Classes Module 4 - Working with Data in Python o Reading files with open o Writing files with open o Loading data with Pandas o Numpy Finally, you will create a project to test your skills....

HM

Nov 18, 2019

it becomes easier wand clearer when one gets to complete the assignments as to how to utilize what has been learned. Practical work is a great way to learn, which was a fundamental part of the course.

WL

Mar 14, 2019

Every course has offered something interesting, challenging, and surprising. I am glad I have spent the time with this class. I would strongly recommend it to others with an interest in data science.

126 - 150 of 1,813 Reviews for Python for Data Science and AI

By Taras P

Sep 18, 2018

Maybe it's a good introductory course for Python, however, I got an impression that the authors gave up three quarters into the course. The labs become more of a reading material rather than a place where you can practice a hands-on approach. The final assessment - omg, I fail to see any relevance between the course material and what is expected in the final assignment! The only lesson I have learnt from it is that I shouldn't trust online courses to learn a subject.

I would not recommend this course to other people.

By Daniel S

Dec 04, 2018

It has some errors between the narrator and what's shown on the course.

I had to rewatch the videos a few times to understand that what was being shown wasn't the same thing the narrator was explaining.

Also, the submission of the assignment wasn't working and nobody from Coursera would step in to answer/fix the issue.

By Omar G

Jan 11, 2019

The course content is good while the final assignment is not related to the content or even the labs and it will be quite difficult for practitioners with non-technical background

By Tiago D C

Mar 10, 2019

I was expecting more about Data Science, as mostly was a quick introduction to Python. It took one afternoon to do 5 "weeks" of work. Perhaps too easy to be connected with IBM.

By Lauren C

x

k

By Bernhard M

Mar 21, 2019

Failures in grammar, logic and wording.

By Shilpa K N

Dec 07, 2018

too easy

By Lluvia Z

May 05, 2019

I'm not sure which parts of the lessons are advertisement and which parts are actual exercises that need to be completed. You are instructed in each segment (so hundreds of times) to not forget to press Shift-Enter for your instructions to be run which is annoying for something so simple. Then the lesson throws you into the deep end by telling you to get an account of gethub using gist to save your jupyter thing and you end up completely lost after clicking on too many links. I might have two accounts of gethub or none--I have no idea.

By Thinh N

Oct 04, 2018

The course is kinda helpful. But please, stop using peer-review assignment. I always get deducted by some stupid or careless guys for NO SINGLE REASON! When you ask some naive students to grade another, they never give the full marks even there is no flaw in the assignment, just because they are not sure at all about any thing! Tbh, I'm kinda perfectionist. I tried my best to target 100% on every thing then finally got stuck because of others' stupidity. That made me pissed off about the whole thing that I am working on. :(

By Jacob M

Jun 09, 2019

This course is awful. The information is pretty basic and really doesn't teach you python at all. At the end of the course they hand you an assignment with coding that is way over your head and when it error's out you don't know how to solve the issue.

By Ahmed N

May 19, 2019

The course content is very good until you get to the final peer graded assignment which is very unclear what to do and how to tackle and you're left alone to tackle a ton of errors that are mostly irrelevant to what you're learning

By Shamoon T

Apr 28, 2019

so many issues with Watson STudio and IBM storage. No help from the instructors or Coursera! wasted so much time on finding solutions . Please go to threads and you would get to know every student was facing the same issue

By Jan D

Oct 05, 2018

Don't take it. No Course Instructors, no help. Not worth the money...

Even the Working Platform is always timing out or has a gateway error.

By Alessandra C

Apr 21, 2019

Too fast paced, not very in-depth. Final project is full of spelling mistakes and not coherent with the course. Terrible.

By Sean G

Apr 24, 2019

This course is terrible - multiple typos, no support. Final project makes no sense. A total waste of time and money

By Brendan J M

Nov 05, 2018

The final project should have had more guidance and instructions in order to complete in a timely manner.

By Mark C

Feb 04, 2020

The final assignment is impossible to do due to lack of information. Where is the database?

By Charles O

Apr 23, 2019

Not very good, course materials do not match final project deliverables.

By piyush g

Dec 17, 2018

lacks rigor and the assignments were way tooo easy....!! thumbs down!!

By Raaj M

Nov 05, 2018

the last test to pass course nothing is taught about it

By Harshit D

Jan 26, 2019

Vague assignments- almost everyone gets stuck.

By Ines H R

Apr 27, 2019

The last assignment is very bad explain

By rje

May 09, 2019

Final Assignment is very confusing

By Anthony N G

Oct 04, 2019

This course was a perfect introduction to python for data science. I already have a B.S. in political science which required a few semesters of statistics. We mainly used Excel and SPSS. I wish I had taken a course like this because I’ll say that I much prefer Python to SPSS and Excel. I find Python more functional but far less user friendly. What helped a lot here was that I have a background in windows and pc hardware. I also have a little experience with Linux and .bash scripting. I’ll admit, this course would have been much more difficult without the computer knowledge I already had.

I’m currently working full-time trouble shooting large 3D printers 40 hours a week. I’ve been pondering what to go to graduate school for. This course has helped with that decision. I’m leaning toward a masters in the applied data science.

I plan on taking the other data science and applied data science courses on Coursera as well. Any and all continued learning I can get will be valuable.

What was most challenging? Learning the syntax and structure of the python language. I’m still learning it and it’s going to take quite a lot of effort to master it. Attention to detail is an absolute must in programming or coding—albeit a short script or manipulating a data set.

Also, I found that the Anaconda suite was the best choice to complete the course. It was a little more user friendly than the bare-bones IDLE/Python combination.

By Courtney B

Dec 04, 2018

I was a complete newbie to Python, and coding in general, and this course made it easy for even a beginner like me to understand. I would honestly love to take an extended version of this course. That said, I have recommendations for improvement:

1) the labs didn't really make you think terribly hard about how to solve the questions, and I would have loved more complex lab work, especially because of the next point...

2) The complexity of the final project basically skyrockets from the rest of the course work. I feel like an extra week or two of going over the additional knowledge necessary to really succeed in the final project without major struggle would help tremendously. Conceptually, it seemed like it should be REALLY easy... if only I had a little more applicable practice work under my belt before hand. (I finished it successfully, but it was a bigger struggle than it perhaps should have been. I think many other people are in the same boat.)