Back to Python for Data Science, AI & Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Data Science, AI & Development by IBM

Kickstart your learning of Python for data science, as well as programming in general, with this beginner-friendly introduction to Python. Python is one of the world’s most popular programming languages, and there has never been greater demand for professionals with the ability to apply Python fundamentals to drive business solutions across industries. This course will take you from zero to programming in Python in a matter of hours—no prior programming experience necessary! You will learn Python fundamentals, including data structures and data analysis, complete hands-on exercises throughout the course modules, and create a final project to demonstrate your new skills. By the end of this course, you’ll feel comfortable creating basic programs, working with data, and solving real-world problems in Python. You’ll gain a strong foundation for more advanced learning in the field, and develop skills to help advance your career. This course can be applied to multiple Specialization or Professional Certificate programs. Completing this course will count towards your learning in any of the following programs: IBM Applied AI Professional Certificate Applied Data Science Specialization IBM Data Science Professional Certificate Upon completion of any of the above programs, in addition to earning a Specialization completion certificate from Coursera, you’ll also receive a digital badge from IBM recognizing your expertise in the field....

HM
Nov 17, 2019

it becomes easier wand clearer when one gets to complete the assignments as to how to utilize what has been learned. Practical work is a great way to learn, which was a fundamental part of the course.

MA
May 16, 2020

The syllabus of the course takes you in a roller-coaster ride.\n\nFrom basic level to advance level and you won't feel any trouble nor hesitate a bit.\n\nIt's easy, it's vast, and it's really usefull.

176 - 200 of 3,603 Reviews for Python for Data Science, AI & Development

By DANG D D

Apr 22, 2021

I was stuck in Week 4 and 5 as the exercises are far different from what I (and I believe other students as well) have been taught from the videos and labs. I do think you need to restructure the course to be easily understandable for all of students.

By Sreeja D

Dec 2, 2020

Not a beginner's course. Because I learnt some python I understood the concepts which I know but "objects and classes" concepts are not at all clear. I wanted IBM to improve and make it beginner's course.

By Omar G

Jan 11, 2019

The course content is good while the final assignment is not related to the content or even the labs and it will be quite difficult for practitioners with non-technical background

By Tiago D C

Mar 10, 2019

I was expecting more about Data Science, as mostly was a quick introduction to Python. It took one afternoon to do 5 "weeks" of work. Perhaps too easy to be connected with IBM.

By Lauren C

x

k

By Nicholas F

Nov 24, 2020

My goodness this was wrought with errors. There were a lot of incomplete concepts and poor examples.

By Omar O

Apr 3, 2021

It is not suitable for enrolled students with minimal knowledge on programming and Python

By Bernhard M

Mar 21, 2019

Failures in grammar, logic and wording.

By Shilpa K N

Dec 7, 2018

too easy

By Hakki K

Jul 9, 2020

Hi,

I completed entire program and received the Professional Certificate. On the Coursera link of my certificate "3 weeks of study, 2-3 hours/week average per course" is written. This information is not correct at all, it takes approximately 3 times of that time on average! I informed Coursera about it but no correction was made. It should be corrected with "it takes approximately 19 hours study per course" or "Approx. 10 months to complete Suggested 4 hours/week for the Professional Certificate".

Here is the approximate duration for each course can be found one by one clicking the webpages of the courses in the professional certificate webpage: (*)

Course 1: approximately 9 hours to complete

Course 6: approximately 16 hours to complete

Course 7: approximately 16 hours to complete

Course 8: approximately 20 hours to complete

Course 9: approximately 47 hours to complete

This makes in total approximately 169 hours to complete the Professional Certificate. As there are 9 courses, each course takes approximately 19 hours (=169/9) to complete.

(*): https://www.coursera.org/professional-certificates/ibm-data-science?utm_source=gg&utm_medium=sem&campaignid=1876641588&utm_content=10-IBM-Data-Science-US&adgroupid=70740725700&device=c&keyword=ibm%20data%20science%20professional%20certificate%20coursera&matchtype=b&network=g&devicemodel=&adpostion=&creativeid=347453133242&hide_mobile_promo&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0Mb3BRCaARIsAPSNGpWPrZDik6-Ne30To7vg20jGReHOKi4AbvstRfSbFxqA-6ZMrPn1gDAaAiMGEALw_wcB

By Ann-Katrin M

Jun 18, 2021

W​orst of the IBM Data Science Prof. Cert. so far. I disliked almost every part of it.

T​ypos throughout all slides and exercises, labs almost never worked online and had to be downloaded, transcripts are off, responses in the discussion forum were late and/or not always friendly (especially to some seemingly knowledgable participants who pointed out code flaws or such - just followed some of the threads and was irritated by some responses), but amongst all the flaw that makes me think about quitting this certificate this course is part of: absolutely no clear framework obvious. What are the main questions this course answers apart from just giving us a bunch of information? Where are we and which goal will we reach, i.e., what will we be able to do with the knowledge? As someone who has been teaching at big international universities, I would argue that the story of this course is lacking or absolutely unclear and there was not much though given in terms of pedagogy. I passed the final exam right away with 100% even I didn't feel like a learned a lot I could really apply. That being said: I don't want to participate in a course just to pass and get the badge. Instead, I would like to learn something that could help me right away. Unfortunately, for this course, this was in no way the case. I very much hope the next one will be better or I will quit and leave Coursera.

By Robert M

Feb 22, 2021

I struggled to learn with this course. I have some experience coding with Python already and feel like the Python beginners course from University of Michigan (Python for everyone) was much better at learning Python for data analytics even though the course objective was more to learn about Python rather than data analytics. I didn't like the clunky and cluttered feel of programming in Jutyper. Previous courses I've taken in Python, the video or lecturer would usually code in the shell or an IDE and you'd see the code being done, you'd go practice in an uncluttered IDE where you could debug things easily and I felt like I learned quite easily. This course kind of just lectures through the code and uses visuals to represent the program which I feel is not a good way to teach coding/programming. The beginning weeks were easy because I knew all the content, but I could see it was taught using poor methods in my opinion. When it got to the material at the end which I'd never learned before, I could really feel how slow and difficult it was to retain the information being presented in the videos. I think it would help a lot by doing videos in an IDE and provide a textbook to easily refer back to the content instead of having to click through a video to do so.

By Daniel V

Feb 10, 2021

The worst course I've taken so far. I used to learn on udemy before switching to Coursera because of more well-known providers. This entire IBM Data Analyst Professional Certificate has been mostly way too easy. Explanations don't seem to be technically accurate and simplify concepts a lot. Especially the in the Python module, the basics of programming are skimmed through while the exercises are designed at a significantly more difficult level. A lot of students seem to be frustrated with this part and apparently, nothing is being done to improve this course. Why people are still taking it? To have some certificate from a reknown company on their LinkedIn profile. Do people actually learn in this course? Yes, but only because nothing is being taught here and students are forced to do their own research to solve the exercises.

By Thomas

Sep 15, 2019

Basically just an interactive advertisement for IBM's new product. Videos aren't very helpful as they show snippets of code without the context in which they would be applied in an actual program. Labs are okay but they use the aforementioned IBM product, and it honestly isn't that great and it isn't something someone using python to do data science would use in a professional setting. The information given about Pandas and Numpy is embarrassingly lacking so the point where doing the final lab is nearly impossible unless you already know what you're doing or you search for information elsewhere. Not why I pay money for Coursera. Wish I could have my money and time back honestly.

By Lluvia Z

May 5, 2019

I'm not sure which parts of the lessons are advertisement and which parts are actual exercises that need to be completed. You are instructed in each segment (so hundreds of times) to not forget to press Shift-Enter for your instructions to be run which is annoying for something so simple. Then the lesson throws you into the deep end by telling you to get an account of gethub using gist to save your jupyter thing and you end up completely lost after clicking on too many links. I might have two accounts of gethub or none--I have no idea.

By Francisco J C G

Jun 12, 2019

I had been taken several courses with Coursera but this data science specialization lacks good planning and clear directions to complete. I asked many times the same question. I was stuck in the last assignment of week 5 and requested help but the responses were not adequate, I contacted the teacher assistants and even the instructor and just received an email to contact Coursera services. They just ignored me; I'm not sure how many students they have but several others have the same issue with Week 5.

By Claudia S

Mar 13, 2020

The third party tool is completely unreliable and it makes this course dissapointing and frustrating.

I wasted too much time trying to make it work, since it was either under maintenance or issuing bad gateway errors.

From the discussion boards, I saw that I was not the only one getting this type of errors, so it would be nice if a better tool could be used or maybe provide alternate instructions to use those Jupiter pages in Watson.

By Glen v U

Dec 3, 2020

There's no way this should be considered a "Beginners" course. Exercises in labs for week 3 and 4 are very hard. The videos are very understandable but the lab excercises are too difficult. There are way too many gaps in information. The labs seem to introduce everything nice and simply, but then hit you with an exercise that is way to difficult and often uses techniques that have not been explained at all!

By Nicholas P L

Oct 12, 2020

This course is not beginner friendly. It jumped right into the meat of things without proper explanation of terminologies, logic, and reasoning. Other than that, the videos are so hard to follow because the narrator talks so fast and the slides go by so quick. If you have expereince with Python, then this is recommended, but this is far from the "Beginner level" that this course is advertised as.

By Andrea M

Sep 6, 2019

Lot's of good content. But the labs are very superficial and they just repeat what shown in the videos. The quizzes are too easy and they do not push you to actually apply what you learned. The final assignment was ridiculous. Just using Pandas to import some data, nothing more, no loops, no if statements, no analysis of the data. Continuing being quite dissatisfied with this certificate.

By Yuval S

Aug 1, 2019

This course was not well designed. It needs intensive editing and rewriting.

The author emphasize the use of IBM cloud products, but the course needs to elaborate in this area if this is the desired target.

Not enough explanations were dedicated to the Python language itself. To succeed you must know some Python before you learn the course, or learn during the course from other sources.

By Ahmed A

Jul 28, 2020

Bad videos.. Many methods and functions in the lab are not explained in the videos

To complete this course I spent most of my time reading documentations and searching to understand what is said as there is no enough explanation or even resources to read from.

(Maybe this method suits you but I didn't like it)

By Facundo L

Jan 27, 2021

All I can say is that I passed this course knowing nothing about Python. Is too basic, and nothing is clear probably I'd have learned more in a $9.99 Udemy course. The half of it IBM try to sell you it's tools.

I hope next courses of the "IBM Data Analyst" certificate are better

By Jacob M

Jun 9, 2019

This course is awful. The information is pretty basic and really doesn't teach you python at all. At the end of the course they hand you an assignment with coding that is way over your head and when it error's out you don't know how to solve the issue.

By Shamoon T

Apr 28, 2019

so many issues with Watson STudio and IBM storage. No help from the instructors or Coursera! wasted so much time on finding solutions . Please go to threads and you would get to know every student was facing the same issue