Back to Applied Social Network Analysis in Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Applied Social Network Analysis in Python by University of Michigan

This course will introduce the learner to network analysis through tutorials using the NetworkX library. The course begins with an understanding of what network analysis is and motivations for why we might model phenomena as networks. The second week introduces the concept of connectivity and network robustness. The third week will explore ways of measuring the importance or centrality of a node in a network. The final week will explore the evolution of networks over time and cover models of network generation and the link prediction problem. This course should be taken after: Introduction to Data Science in Python, Applied Plotting, Charting & Data Representation in Python, and Applied Machine Learning in Python....

NK

May 03, 2019

This course is a excellent introduction to social network analysis. Learnt a lot about how social network works. Anyone learning Machine Learning and AI should definitely take this course. It's good.

JL

Sep 24, 2018

It was an easy introductory course that is well structured and well explained. Took me roughly a weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope the professor follows up with more advanced material.

1 - 25 of 285 Reviews for Applied Social Network Analysis in Python

By Aziz J

Dec 28, 2017

Going into this course, I was really disappointed that I had to take this course for a Data Science Specialization because at a skin-deep level it seemed very irrelevant, and frankly I was at that state of mind until week 4 of this course.

There are several reasons why I'm rating this course 2 out of 5 stars:

1) The content of the first three weeks were just informational and should have been covered in one or two weeks.

2) Homework assignments were not challenging at all. 90% of the questions were one-liners and required simply calling the methods of networkx that was discussed. This course would benefit by homework assignments that had 1-2 problems that required us to solve real-life problems from scratch, rather than ONLY calling networkx methods.

3) There was no discussion on how to get network data. We were just given all this magical data about how relationship scores between employees and future connections between employees... How am I supposed to get that in real life?? Some problems asking us to make a network would've been valuable.

4) More time should have been spent on prediction and other advanced topics, at least another week to bring the "Applied" into "Applied Social Network Analysis."

5) I really enjoyed the professor's teaching style. He explained concepts well and had great examples during lectures.

By Oliverio J S J

Feb 25, 2018

This course is a good introduction to graph theory. Its contents are interesting and the lecturer did a great job explaining them. So, what is the problem? The problem is that the course is not called "Applied Graph Analysis in Python" but "Applied Social Network Analysis in Python". This incongruity in the title of the course (intentional or not) will generate erroneous expectations in the students, especially if we consider that they have to take the course to finish the specialization. Regarding the assignments, they are divided into two groups: trivial tasks that are solved with a single line of code extracted from the NetworkX manual and more complex tasks related to Machine Learning that do not involve putting into practice the concepts of this course but those of the third course of the specialization. I regret being so tough, but my impression on this course is that it is filler content designed just to have a five course specialization instead of four.

By Luis d l O

Mar 02, 2018

The lectures are good. However, the assignments are poor: very simple exercises with toy examples, but far away from real applications. Moreover, I spent most of the time (particularly in the last assignment) trying to deal with the autograder.

By Ryan D

Aug 10, 2019

The specialization for Applied Data science started strong, with engaging exercises, good instruction, and good recommendations for additional reading and resources. As the specialization continued, the courses seemed to get "lazy", and the course topics became more abstract and less applied.

After going through this specialization, I would not recommend this to someone if I could find a better program through edX or another coursera offering.

By Mark G

Apr 19, 2020

If you are following Dr. Severance's Python course series, expecting a similar experience, be ready for disappointment. Where Dr. Chuck's series is well-taught in-depth information with great examples and explanations, this course series is basically a summary and the instruction to go out and learn everything yourself from the web. That's an abysmal way to teach, because for beginners to data science programming, there is no basis to determine which is bad or good information you pick up from a blog or Youtube.

This class is a perfect example of just that, but worse, because there's an implicit trust in a professor from a university the caliber of Michigan.

The lessons are old, and they won't update them. The forums are full of bug reports and information about code that works when tested outside the class environment, because the class is taught on networkx version 1.11, which was released in 2016. I'm writing this in April of 2020, and networkx 2 was released almost 4 years ago, and this class is teaching techniques that no longer work because the code is deprecated.

In every course in this series, I wasted long hours trying to debug what I was doing wrong in my assignments, only to find out that my code was perfect - today, and the grader was testing my work with functions that are no longer valid.

I know reviews can be biased, especially negative reviews, so please read the forums before enrolling in this course and wasting your money. The quality of education from this series is very poor, and you are better suited to learning from Youtube (sadly) if you want actual information you can use in your work.

Unless you are looking for an education so that you can go back in time and find a job in 2015, this course is a waste of time and money.

By David M

Nov 15, 2018

This is hands down the best taught course in the speciality. The instructor explains concepts in the videos clearly and the assignment questions are structured and interesting. Do note that the assignment in week 4 does pull together the whole specialisation in a real world problem, so if you aren't taking the whole speciality you will need a knowledge of Pandas and SKLearn. Personally I thought it was pitched at just the right level because the ML work is just enough to have to go through the process, without any complicated feature optimisation.

Only wish the other courses worked as well as this one.

By Wei W

Dec 09, 2018

This is by far my favorite Coursera course - well organized contents and intuitive example!

By Daniel W

Feb 19, 2019

Great course, maybe even the best on this great specialization!

By Ahmad H S

Aug 05, 2019

it is good but we are looking for more real practices

By Kevin c

Aug 14, 2019

For a coding heavy course, why doesn't the instructor just upload the code used in slides as a Jupyter Notebook? This would save A LOT OF TIME and frustration. Right now, I have to pause the video to copy the code AND write my own notes and it wastes so much time. Not to mention, you can easily be prone to writing wrong syntax when you're trying to keep up so fast, and then you run the code chunk and it doesn't work and you have to go back to that point in the video. It's a simple staple that I would have expected in a UMich course. Also, they don't show how to create networks from pre-existing data, which is how you will usually work in the real-world

By XU D

Oct 13, 2017

The assignment auto grader was horribly designed.

By Eric S

Oct 28, 2018

They need to change the 4th assignment is almost impossible to run on jupyter

By Emil K

Mar 01, 2018

So, I passed all modules in the whole specialization and received the certificate. This is by far the best course, and the reason for this is the instructor. Daniel Romero is great at explaining the concepts, expresses himself clearly and uses lots of examples which help immensely. The programming assignments are actually fun to solve - the instructions are clear and well-formulated. I know what is expected and can focus on doing data science. For the first time I didn't have to spend hours reading the Discussion Group posts in despair, in order to figure out how to pass the assignments (tricks, hacks, etc). This can't be said about assignments in other modules. I think the assignments were not too easy - to me the difficulty was just right. It's an introductory course to this matter and the worst you can do is daunt learners with unrealistic assignments (as in Week 4 of Text Mining). I think my appreciation for this course is intensified by the irritation with other courses. But at any rate, great job Daniel.

By Tamas B

Mar 11, 2020

Daniel Romero is easily the best instructor in this specialization, beating all his more senior colleagues in communicating knowledge to learners. I especially liked his methodical approach to telling the whole story: big picture intuition, formal definitions, Python examples and practical applications.

The course sets you up with a solid enough baseline in networks to be able to continue learning on your own. It is a big plus that the final assignment is really pulling together your knowledge from most courses in this specialization (there is no visualization required in the final assignment).

My only complaint is that the course seems like somewhat of an afterthought to bring the course count to 5 in the specialization. The content in week 4 is particularly short. I would rate this course 4 stars on its own, but given how it lines up in the specialization it is an easy 5-star.

By James M

May 30, 2018

This is the last course of the Applied Data Sci in Python certificate. It effectively ties together all the introduced concepts from the previous courses (except Natural Language Processing). Daniel Romero was an extremely effective lecturer and many of the concepts and know-how were introduced, taught, and assessed appropriately. I'm also impressed that I was able to learn a new python library I (or my coworkers) had not heard of before.

By Jiunjiun M

Apr 14, 2018

I learned many interesting new concepts in social network analysis and a bunch of new graph algorithms, which are rarely taught in the "traditional" algorithm course. Now I know how companies like Cambridge Analytics can use the Facebook's social network data to derive useful information. (It's actually quite easy.) A class like this is more important than ever. I just wish we could have more time to explore a few topics more deeply.

By Ajit P

Everything in this course was new to me. I was always curious about social media products and how companies like Twitter and Facebook come with certain features in their offerings. This course is very introductory but it provides a good platform to develop interest and pursue more knowledge in social network analysis. I highly recommend this course to learn to decode social network analysis.

By Frank L

Oct 14, 2017

This course was very interesting and well taught, finally after all other courses I have managed to complete the assignments for this one in the recommended amount of time. Maybe the questions were structured better than past modules, or maybe my level of understanding of programming in python was at its best. Either way the assignments were very enjoyable, thank you!

By Rahul S

Oct 08, 2018

Remarkably good explanations, and interesting selection of subtopics. Interestingly , it does not delve into Facebook or any other social media applications, and is still just as valuable as it covers Graphs in some depth. Uses Python and its NetworkX library. Knowledge of classification models and scikit-learn is needed for the 4th assignment.

By Abu S

I started this course with certain amount of nervousness since I did not have a lot of idea about network analysis. With time I really become interested in this subject and by the week 4 I was really fell in love with this subject. The teacher was very engaging and clearly explained the ideas. Looking forward to finishing the specialization.

By Yusuf E

Sep 24, 2018

Coming into this course, I didn't expect much but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the material. The quizzes were especially designed well and the final assignment was really challenging and instructive. I wish there was more of predictive modeling using network features but the rest of the course easily makes up for that.

By CMC

Feb 14, 2019

This is a great course for 2 reasons. The earlier assignments were just difficulty enough to reinforce the lectures. The last assignment was challenging enough to bring the entire specialization to to satisfying close. After finishing assignment 4, I really feel that I can apply the learning from this specialization to real work.

By Keary P

Apr 21, 2019

Nice way to end the 5 course specialization. Brought together several machine learning and python skills that I learned in the previous courses. Instructor does a great job introducing new concepts with high level theory and intuitive examples. Course slides were superb and can serve as future reference material.

By Víctor L

Mar 23, 2018

Excellent Course, very interesting, no idea that so many tools existed for network study and analysis. Excellent job both from the professor Daniel, and from Coursera/University of Michigan State. The QUIZES were very challenging, sometimes more than the Assignments. I'm really satisfied.

By Niranjan H

Nov 14, 2018

As a course by itself or as part of the specialization, either way (it helps to have completed the first two in the set), it is a great course.

It provides a very good high level picture of what is needed in ones toolbox.

Essentials: networkx, matplotlib and to a lesser extent pandas.