Back to Introduction to Sustainability

Introduction to Sustainability, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

About this Course

This course introduces the academic approach of Sustainability and explores how today’s human societies can endure in the face of global change, ecosystem degradation and resource limitations. The course focuses on key knowledge areas of sustainability theory and practice, including population, ecosystems, global change, energy, agriculture, water, environmental economics and policy, ethics, and cultural history. This subject is of vital importance, seeking as it does to uncover the principles of the long-term welfare of all the peoples of the planet. As sustainability is a cross-disciplinary field of study, this foundation requires intellectual breadth: as I describe it in the class text, understanding our motivations requires the humanities, measuring the challenges of sustainability requires knowledge of the sciences (both natural and social), and building solutions requires technical insight into systems (such as provided by engineering, planning, and management)....

By KF

Dec 19, 2016

It is a well prepared course. Contents are carefully organized and plenty of concepts and examples are included and analyzed. Overall, it is a excellent course to get an overview of sustainability.

By JW

Nov 29, 2015

This was my first Coursera course, and I wasn't sure what to expect; but was very pleased with the organization, timescale things were run on, and overall neutrality of the course. Very well done!

163 Reviews

By Hadis Salehi Gahrizsangi

Feb 17, 2019

Great course

By Muhammad Zubair Siddiq

Jan 20, 2019

I highly recommend this course to ones who are working on sustainable energy this course is much worthy to clear your concepts about sustainability and sustainable future.

By Talles Gaspar Guedes

Jan 15, 2019

Excelente curso!

By Raphaël Hubert Elie SEBIRE

Jan 15, 2019

Un poco repetitivo en el formato pero muy completo, te ayuda a tener una visión más clara sobre la sustentabilidad

By Rawya Z. Alejel

Jan 14, 2019

One of the courses that benefited me and expanded my perceptions and knowledge

By Denique Loren Goncalves

Jan 09, 2019

Absolutely loved the course. Learnt so much and its helped me understand what i as an individual can do as well to live a more sustainable life as well as ease my worry about us as humanity being doomed.I found the way the questions were asked got me confused at times and that is where i struggled my only critic.I am so grateful for this opportunity to learn this course and being allowed to extend my course deadlines a bit further due to work commitments and still be able to pass I am really happy.Thank you.I will most certainly be looking for more courses to start soon and continue to follow my passion.The videos were great and so informative. Thank you Mr. Tomkin

By Myriam Vanessa Salas Alarcón

Jan 07, 2019

Excelente desde todo punto de vista. Muy didáctico, entretenido. Me ayudó a comprender muchos conceptos que ahora uso frecuentemente en mi cargo.

By Catharine

Nov 20, 2018

Nice explaination about current and future earth condition

By Mim Prasad Poudel

Nov 11, 2018

very very amazing courses . Really loved it.

By ivan javier cuesta sierra

Nov 07, 2018