Back to The Business of Product Management I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Business of Product Management I by Advancing Women in Product

Sponsored by AMAZON WEB SERVICES (AWS). Learn real-world PM lessons from Amazon, Intuit, Procter and Gamble, Barnes and Noble, Whole Foods, Google, Mint Mobile, Juicero, Twitter, Tesla, Dropbox, Eventbrite, Blue, Samson, Coffee Meets Bagel, Mixpanel, and more! Featuring NANCY WANG, Head of Data Protection Services, Amazon Web Services; Founder and CEO, Advancing Women in Product; WAYNE DUSO, Vice President for Edge Computing, File Services, and Data Services, Amazon Web Services; ARUM KANG, Co-Founder & CEO, Coffee Meets Bagel; and AMIR MOVAFAGHI, CEO, Mixpanel; former Global Head of Business of Operations, Twitter....

RR
Dec 2, 2020

Fantastic course. I really enjoyed the interviews with industry experts. They were extremely insightful. The exercises and assignments were super useful and the templates made it easy to get started.

BJ
Nov 2, 2020

Incredibly great course with a lot of learnings and examples. I highly recommend it to everyone! I can't wait to start Product Management II tomorrow :) Great job Nancy on the topics and examples

1 - 25 of 71 Reviews for The Business of Product Management I

By Naveen K S

Oct 7, 2020

To me personally, this specialization is a life changer. Nancy Wang is an awesome instructor and she teaches the best practices, tools, and skillsets to be a successful product manager. I suggest anybody who wants to get into product management must go with this course. As an icing on the cake, there is also an awesome community called AWIP. Which facilitates product aspirants to network with the best product minds.

Good Luck!

By RN

Dec 3, 2020

Enjoyed the course and learned a lot. The peer grade exercises were thoughtfully constructed and helped to solidify concepts taught in the lectures. Continuing to Course 2 and look forward to completing the entire specialization.

By Bahadir K

Sep 20, 2020

Nancy, you amazed me with your very clear explanation of PM and very well structured course. Looking forward to learn more from you.

By Carina O

Oct 13, 2020

I loved the emphasis on getting more women in technology. We need more leaders like Nancy!

By Fi D

Oct 13, 2020

This course is miles above the other product management courses on Coursera!

By Gordon

Sep 15, 2020

This is the greatest, most relevant product management course out there!

By Vera T

Jan 29, 2021

I got Product Management certification by finishing Real-World Product Management Specialization that was prepared and lead by Nancy Wang, a Head of Product at Amazon (AWS), who also was a Product Manager at Google and is a CEO and Founder of Advancing Women in Product (AWIP). Nancy shares her knowledge gained throughout her career in those extremely successful companies.

The specialization is a combo of 4 courses to learn product management from different perspectives: customer obsession, market sizing, competitive analyses, success metrics (like KPIs, OKRs, North Stars, A/B/n tests, NPS, CSAT, CES, cohort analyses, LTV, pricing, and financials), etc.

The big advantage of this course is it helps you to create your own portfolio through studying all 4 courses by developing your own product using real-life PM tasks during product management lifecycle from inception till launch. Each task takes about an hour. This work is peer-reviewed and you get real feedback. Even though it is quite time-consuming to do those practical assignments and peer review assignments of other students, it helps to get practical knowledge and learn things by doing, which is especially extremely important for folks who want a transition to a PM role and have no real experience yet.

Another advantage is that you get trained using real PM interview questions. Nancy shares questions from giants like Amazon, Google, Facebook, and Microsoft and helps to master their Behavioral, Product Design, Strategy, Estimation, and Technical interview questions.

Also, it was super useful to listen to interviews and panels that Nancy did with successful senior Product Managers and Leaders in Product where they shared their experience, insights, and tips for PM career, things they are looking for in PM candidates.

On top of that Nancy shares great sources for networking to advance your career as a Product Manager.

I highly recommend every Product Manager to take this up!!

Thank you to Nancy Wang and the rest of #AWIP for putting this course together!

I learned so much that I am excited to take into my current and future roles.

By Siddharth

Jan 8, 2021

This course provides a rudimentary introduction to different areas of work that an early-career product manager might need to become familiar with in order to succeed on the job. The course is engaging, light and offers useful exercises to learn by doing. The only areas that could be improved are (1) the rigor with which various topics are dealt with and (2) it might help to integrate all the topics with a section/exercise that walks the student with all the activities that need to be done from start to finish. For instance, take an idea, perform competitive analysis, define an MVP, come up with a PRD, PR/FAQ and GTM. All in all, this course has the makings of the best course on the topic. I'd love to see the content evolve before recommennding to my PM mentees.

By Cheikh S N

Nov 11, 2020

Great course, with great insight really practical. I felt overall confident into pursuing the course but I felt lt also a bit overwhelmed by the characteristics of a good PM.

On the plus side : a lot of down to earth template that focus on the essential and are practical, a good overview of PM role in real life situation, a step by step approach to product management with competence and skills and advice from potential recruiter that is a plus.

On the room for improvement : the go to market part is very light.

I can't wait to go to part 2 of this class.

Thank you very much.

By evi k

Dec 9, 2020

I love the pace of the course, the examples and real-life flavor it brings. Things that could improve: for our see one, do one, teach one, I would prefer if Nancy picked a single product and use as an example to all exercises. I think it would improve the story telling and it would make some PM aspects more clear. Also, regarding some topics like competitive analysis or TAM/SAM/SOM I would love some ideas and examples on how to use these artifacts apart from drafting them. All in all I enjoyed the course and I'm looking forward to part II!

By Elena D

Jan 28, 2021

I really-really enjoyed this course and found myself being so excited that I wanted to learn faster than I had time for. The course covered a lot of material that I already knew, but I really liked that it walked us through the scope of product management step by step, introducing some techniques I wasn't aware of and building on top of the previous material. I also quite enjoyed the assignments. They were detailed enough to require actual work and time, which made the results very fulfilling.

By Erica H

Jan 30, 2021

I really enjoyed and learned a lot from this course. The videos were filled with a lot of interesting information and there was good guidance on completing the assignments. It was rewarding to feel like I was improving my skills as we went and it made me more confident that I can become a product manager in the future. My one suggestion would be some additional guidance on how to choose a product at the beginning to focus on throughout the course.

By Maria A M

Feb 2, 2021

Nancy is an amazing teacher, and the tasks and tests are fun and useful to really apprehend the content of the course.

Maybe the course could be even better if we could receive at least one qualitative feedback on our performance from Nancy or her team. Anyways I can understand how difficult this could be to implement, but It would really add a lot of value to the course

Can´t wait to see what is coming in the next module

By robin

Dec 31, 2020

A very good introduction to product management which covers the basics and some nice exercises. My only criticism is that some of the multiple-choice questions felt more like wordplay rather than testing our knowledge. Also, they ofter referred to companies or websites that might be popular in the US but I had never heard of, meaning I had to google the company in order to try and answer the question.

By Hilary C

Dec 25, 2020

Thank you Nancy for designing this course and it's a very helpful one with real-life experience from the practitioners in the industry. Working for an MNC surrounded by teams with no product background, it is very challenging to work on and excel new products. Have learned and solidified some of my product knowledge at work and will try applying these knowledge and frameworks to my daily job.

By Irina P

Feb 1, 2021

I'm happy I took this course.

Nancy provides information in a well-structured and easy to digest form.

Templates and examples shared in this course help to seamlessly transition from theory to practice.

Interviews with Product Management leaders and entrepreneurs helped me to understand core principles and values that leaders in technology companies rely on.

By Olga F

Dec 12, 2020

It was so interesting and new for me!

At the beginning I thought that course will be very easy, but then I understood that I was wrong.

Tasks where we describe our customer persona and competitive analysis were very interesting and helpful for my current job.

And the final part was so inspirational! Thank you for this course. I'll registrate to second part.

By Erick A

Dec 7, 2020

One of the best introductory PM courses available in Coursera, the contents are clear and well structured, definitely liked the see done, do one, tech one.

I've been working on Product for 2 years now and I took the course to strengthen my skills, I definitely feel more exited to continue on this path and willing to dig deeper on the topics we covered.

By JT

Nov 2, 2020

This course provides hands on experience about real life product management. The tools provided by Nancy have been particularly useful for me. I like the combination of multiple choice questions and "see one, teach one, do one" exercise. Hope I can get the product manager job of the product I have been working on.

By Nuala M

Feb 22, 2021

Genreal Points

Content was great - challenging and engaging - I was totally addicted to finishing out each section and getting 100% on every appraisal

Loved learning about the different companies / different founders / great diverse representation

Helping me build my confidence as a marketer comme tech founder

By Kierra A

Jan 27, 2021

This is the second product management course I've taken on Coursera, and I found it so helpful. You finish the course with a product portfolio that you develop in peer-reviewed assignments, and the "lectures" are very informative. The whole class is helpful and has a great balance of learning and doing.

By skurella

Dec 16, 2020

The course is very engaging and in my view well structured. The videos were not too long and each topic is very clearly introduced. The interviews with industry leaders and their experience keeps the student engaged and helps them get the perspective of experienced leaders.

By Pierfrancesco M

Dec 17, 2020

This course offers good examples of real world cases with excellent testimonials by key industry profiles. At the beginning, proposed assignments seem challenging but after few tries you feel more confident, eager to put your own effort and eventually you feel inspired.

By Vedrana M

Dec 2, 2020

I loved this course. My favorite parts were the exercises. I appreciated the templates (e.g. competitive analysis) that AWIP provided as they differed from the ones that I have seen used in my sector. Overall, I think the course was worth the money and time. Thank you.

By Leticia F

Nov 19, 2020

The course taught by Nancy Wang has been very helpful to understand Product Management in the real world. The quizzes and assignments have been very meaningful and comprehensive. I am looking forward to the next course, The Business of Product Management II.