Back to The Business of Product Management I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Business of Product Management I by Advancing Women in Tech

Sponsored by AMAZON WEB SERVICES (AWS). Learn real-world PM lessons from Amazon, Intuit, Procter and Gamble, Barnes and Noble, Whole Foods, Google, Mint Mobile, Juicero, Twitter, Tesla, Dropbox, Eventbrite, Blue, Samson, Coffee Meets Bagel, Mixpanel, and more! Featuring NANCY WANG, Head of Data Protection Services, Amazon Web Services; Founder and CEO, Advancing Women in Product; WAYNE DUSO, Vice President for Edge Computing, File Services, and Data Services, Amazon Web Services; ARUM KANG, Co-Founder & CEO, Coffee Meets Bagel; and AMIR MOVAFAGHI, CEO, Mixpanel; former Global Head of Business of Operations, Twitter....

RR
Dec 2, 2020

Fantastic course. I really enjoyed the interviews with industry experts. They were extremely insightful. The exercises and assignments were super useful and the templates made it easy to get started.

Apr 4, 2021

I really enjoyed this course because it was a good balance between the lectures and assignments. Doing the assignments not only helped me increase my confidence but also helped me expand my thinking.

126 - 150 of 165 Reviews for The Business of Product Management I

By Rebecca G

Oct 17, 2020

Thanks for a great course! I feel like this was a great overview of the many aspects of product management. In the beginning, I was a bit nervous as my current role is not defined as product management, but have come to learn that product management includes a lot of the foundational considerations that come with working towards a commercial strategy, so I'm not starting from zero.

It would be great to dive deeper into the technical requirements for product managers, including more focus on how to really analyse and understand user needs, identify roadblocks and opportunities to resolve user challenges, etc. I hope that's coming up in the next course!

By RITU A

May 13, 2021

My learning experience of 4 weeks for "The Business of Product Management-I" has been very interesting. It has helped me to connect with product management not only for the concepts but also understand the difference between project management vs product management in terms of vision and strategy. The biggest highlight of these 4 weeks was the assignment for "Market Segmentation of the product " using the theory of TAM,SAM, and SOM. I am looking forward to the next course in this specialization. Another highlight of the course was watching the videos by folks who have been game changers in their product management journey. Thank you!

By Alexa L

Dec 17, 2020

I've really enjoyed taking this course. It's been a great jumpstart into Product Management. However, I'd like more information on the concepts we're learning. There are a handful of concepts and vocabulary that is introduced, but not defined clearly. They're defined more in terms of examples than actual definitions to reference when completing the assignments. This would help me and I'm sure others understand these principles better. Otherwise, this course has given me more confidence going down this career path.

By Chaitanya P

Mar 14, 2021

Pros:

I feel more confident and excited about Product management. Confident when I got to know that I will learn everything from scrum to agile etc and also where I found out while making customer personas and other tasks that it is not that difficult.

cons:

I would really like to have some notes or slides after every week because taking notes on Coursera is actually a tedious process and leads to loss of motivation, also, writing notes yourself in also makes it slower and excitement and motivation brushes off.

By Anastasia T

Aug 18, 2021

Great basic course. I really enjoyed doing exercises. What could be better: lector could speak more instead of reading the material and it could make a course more vivid. Also there is a bug with viewing assignments of other students: when they post a link it's not clicable and it's impossible to copy to put in a browser so it's impossible to open though and rate then. I've left few reports on it but I don't think somebody fixed it.

By Daman D

Nov 11, 2020

The course was pretty insightful and engaging. Thanks for being a great instructor, Nancy.

It would however be great if we could have a summary video/pdf at the end of each course which the applicants could use as a reference. For example we learnt about TAM, SAM & SOM and to be able to use it in our day to day lives, maybe a reference doc we could refer to would be great. Just a thought. Thanks.

By Leonie A M

Dec 27, 2020

Great intro for newbies. I would have liked to see more tipps on how to make sure your crucial assumptions are reasonable and on how to identify the crucial assumptions that you make. Also, it would have been very good to see more of a full product journey from beginning to end -- which techniques do you use in which stage, what typically happens at a company, small or big, at each stage?

By Barbara K

Jan 26, 2021

Strengths in this course are Nancy's knowledge, examples and interviews with other industry leaders on their PM path and what they look for in PM hires. I would have liked a bit more clarity, maybe in written form, on some of the definitions such as Customer Persona vs Market Segmentation to reduce my time spent researching these terms outside of the course

By Tory G

Jan 10, 2021

Nancy did a thorough job of going through the fundamental responsibilities of Product Managers. I loved the ability to see one, do one, and review one! I am a hands-on learner and this certainly helped me learn the content Nancy was teaching. One suggestion is to review and edit the quiz multiple choice answers, not all of them are written clearly enough.

By Laura M

Oct 16, 2020

This was a great course and I learned a lot, however the reliance on google docs for assignments and the inability to just copy and paste google doc urls for peer-reviews was frustrating. I think it would be better for all students to post assignments into the assignment text-area so that no one has to go back and forth between different websites.

By prachi p

Jun 24, 2021

Very detailed, led by real life examples. Particularly loved the last part where there was one-on-one interview with product managers-turned-entrepreneurs. Also loved all the exercises as they forced us to think and create documents that would come handy when we actually work as product managers.

Would like to start the part 2 of this course soon!

By Andrew D

Nov 23, 2020

Overall the content is there and I appreciate the pragmatic style of the course and real world examples. The videos need to edited though... they feel like a rough draft or they were rushed to get published. Not a show stopper, but it was annoying. It also heavily focuses on the tech industry; particularly in the bay area so be ready for that.

By Neha A

Jun 12, 2021

This course has helped me know a lot more than I did. Honestly, there is a depth and good amount of work required to be done at each stage. I felt anxious as I felt like I needed more resources to go into the details. But it was very helpful and I cannot ne more thankful for the opportunity. It's great, thanks.

By Stacey W L

Sep 22, 2020

I loved this class. It helped me learn a few new things but also remember the thing that I did not think were important, but really are. I had a hard time with some of the language syntax in the questions, but loved the class over all and really want to continue and expand my career in product!!!!

By Zehra M

Oct 1, 2020

I've learned so many new things through this course that I was not really aware of. I felt confident as I completed each lesson and was excited to take on the next one. There were a few inconsistencies in the quizzes and some links were broken but the overall experience has been valuable!

By Vera Y

Jan 24, 2021

I really like the written assignments. This helped me to apply what I learned in the course to a real-world project. I feel like some of the video contents are a little bit too simple and too introductory. I wish the instructor could provide some materials that go deep into the topics.

By Gustavo C

Apr 12, 2021

The course is great, very well presented and the content is super relevant. My only pain was finding good in-depth examples to help with the assignments. For most of those, the example presented during class was somewhat superficial, whereas the necessary depth of the task was unclear.

By Iva B

May 4, 2021

The course is interesting and it gives a lot of insights from Google & AWS but what would be very helpful is some literature on topic to be shared as well as some topics are covered in 5-6 minutes videos and it doesnt give them justice.

By Wendy

Jan 2, 2021

Overall, great PM class to take for beginners. Learned a lot from watching the videos and doing the assignments. Would love to learn and hear more about how people from a non-tech background transitioned into PM roles.

By Adete T

Sep 17, 2021

Great content, The platform delivery was not seamless with in-video quizzes popping up before the quiz topics were discussed. Also the assignment submission can be much easier if attachments can be submitted. Thanks.

By Guil E

Mar 4, 2021

In general a good course for basic concepts. I'd put a little more time in explaining some of the terminology throughout the course. Overall good context and good real world examples.

By Frederik R

Sep 17, 2021

The workflow of the docs does not work well with coursera maybe add a feature where one can submit a link "optional".

By Bharatha G

Jun 23, 2021

This course content is highly valuable for Product specialists who are targeting to be Product owners in a day.

By Molly D

Jun 17, 2021

Great overview, but looking forward to part II. I would like to learn more nuts and bolts of how to be a PM.

By Chavan D

Sep 14, 2021

This course is very insight full for a early product manager or for the one who wants to become one.