Back to Version Control with Git

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Version Control with Git by Atlassian

The Version Control with Git course provides you with a solid, hands-on foundation for understanding the Git version control system. Git is open source software originally created by Linus Torvalds. Git manages team files for large and small projects. This allows the team to continuously improve its product. It is used by most major technology companies, and is assumed knowledge for many modern programming and IT jobs. It is a core component of DevOps, continuous delivery pipelines and cloud-native computing. You could also use Git to manage the many continuously improving revisions of that book that you are writing. In this course, you will not learn everything there is to know about Git, but you will build a strong conceptual understanding of the technology, and afterward will be able to confidently dig deeper on any topic that interests you. This course assumes no previous knowledge of Git, but if you do have experience with it, you may find this course to be both useful and challenging. This is especially true if you currently "know just enough Git to be dangerous". There are two paths in this course. Both rely heavily on hands-on labs. One path assumes that you have experience using a command line interface, and the other path uses the Sourcetree graphical client. If you are not experienced with a command line, we highly suggest that you go through the Sourcetree path. Eventually, you might want to go through both paths, so that you can decide which tool to use for specific tasks. Besides, repetition is good for learning :) You can watch the videos and take the quizzes from your phone if you want, but the hands-on labs require you to have a Windows or Mac computer. If you use the command line path through the course, you can also use Linux. This course uses Bitbucket (bitbucket.org) as the hosted provider for remote Git repositories. Bitbucket is free for teams of up to 5 people, including private repositories. However, most of the knowledge that you gain in this course applies to Git itself, and you can apply this knowledge to other hosted Git providers (such as GitHub). This course tries to be as concise as possible. It will probably take you about 5-10 hours to go through one of the two paths, but your mileage may vary....

ML

Mar 28, 2018

Great course, should be a pre-requisite or additional reading to any intro data science course using Git. Straight-forward, not overly taxing to your time, and full of practical application exercises.

RB

Nov 26, 2019

This is a great course, i.e. very pedagogical, a nice structure, a lot of practise material and gives a very solid base for working with git. I highly recomend to anyone wanting to pickup git/github

1 - 25 of 474 Reviews for Version Control with Git

By Nicolas S V

Apr 08, 2018

This course it wasn't challenging for me and if you already have experience using GIT I don't recommend you to take it. I finished the whole course in one hour or so. If you are experienced on GIT you can just go directly to the assignments and take them, they are quite easy. They say that "Developers and members of IT (Information Technology) are the primary audience", they should clarify that this course is for beginners.

By Chunhui G

Jun 16, 2019

The course is well-organized. There are a few suggestions: 1. provide download link for the slides used in this course because the hands-on instruction didn't cover all the knowledge in the lecture. 2. more knowledge about revert and reset should be included. There should be a higher-level course after this one talking more about a real-world project. Again, great course!

By VEERA V

Sep 17, 2019

This course gave me a clear understanding of version control system, Their types, Usage in the industry and many hands on exercises to understand the core concepts behind the git. I would recommend any beginner in the field to tackle this course for a solid understanding of the underlying concepts of git.

By Sowmya V

Oct 21, 2019

Verify informative on Git. clear explanation. course content is good. But regarding difference between master and develop repository could have added more information practically, so the new Git user can make out. i learnt lot from the course. The links provided and Readme contents are clear and useful.

By Matthew P L

Mar 28, 2018

By Andre O

Aug 21, 2019

This was certainly a very well constructed course. It challenged my perceptions, my ideas and my knowledge. I would certainly recommend for anyone looking to get a good understanding of Git.

By Andrew S

Feb 03, 2019

An excellent intro course to git, Bitbucket and Sourcetree. I did both the Sourcetree and CLI version. Was really good to see things done both ways. Helped to make the material stick.

By Ilya R

May 09, 2018

I liked the 'Version Control with Git' course from Atlassian because I had long wanted to master software version control via Git technology. Until the course was completed, I gained information about Git only scrappy, sometimes reading articles and questions on StackOverflow.

The course gave me an insight into Git's basic concepts and how I can organize my work in the software development team and opensource projects. Before I taken the course, the term "pull request" remained mysterious to me. The course helped to understand how "pull request merge" can be integrated into Feature Branching Workflow or Gitflow workflow.

Also, I had a barrier in trying Github alternatives. I examined Bitbucket and liked it very much for private projects.

I recommend a course for all beginners.

By Gregory H

Apr 08, 2020

A very, very good course!

This course places importance on understanding concepts behind the use of git commands rather than just describing git commands and their effects on files as too many other lesser tutorials do. All important basic concepts are presented in a clear, step-by-step manner allowing a complete beginner to use git commands with confidence. This confidence arises from the understanding of why git commands work instead of just knowing what they do.

Knowing these basic concepts will allow me to teach myself more about git just by reading the standard manual pages rather than having to resort to tutorials.

By Abhishek S

Jan 13, 2020

This is a brilliant course for beginners as well as for people who are using GIT but want to clearly understand that how it is working under the hood. The instructor is super awesome. The content , pace at which things are explained, explanations are all very clear and accurate. Indeed, A GREAT COURSE!

By Tamanna A

May 06, 2020

i Loved the course so much. I had a great desire about learning version control in software management.

this course give me a proper knowledge about version control. i think the knowledge i gather from this course will put a great effect on my future job sector . Thanks a lot

By Rok B

Nov 26, 2019

By Marijan B

Jul 10, 2020

Probably more time should have been dedicated to Changing History topic. In addition, it would be nice if a summary of all git commands discussed was provided as a cheat sheet for easier review.

By Maria M

Excellent course, very good mixture of theory and excersises, providing a solid understanding of the material. I would only wish for more anvanced topics and real world scenarios.

By Vijai K S

Apr 11, 2020

Unlike other courses on Git, this course from Atlassian gets a little deeper into Git. I definitely recommend it for any developer.

By Mariia V

Aug 08, 2020

The course is for complete beginners, it greatly helped me to get started. Definitely, it's not enough for real commercial work.

By Lyle S

Mar 25, 2020

I got a lot out of this course. The material was well organized and presented well. I knew very little about git, and now I'm interacting well with the others in my company on this topic.

Suggestions for the future:

I would force people to use both the command line and the desktop git client. Both are worth knowing; the command line is more arcane and drives a lot of people to the desktop clients (like me). However, it is worth knowing. And, its a big jump from the weekly homework to the final exam. I would provide more information to the GitHub workflow.

But, very good. I've recommended the class to others at my company.

By SUBHADYUTI S

Jun 04, 2020

"Version Control with Git" course has helped me immensely in clearing most of the doubts I had when I started working with Git in general. Steve explains each and every concept related to Git in a pretty comprehensible manner, which allowed me to gain in-depth knowledge about Git. Although I needed help from internet during the final project, it was still worth the effort as I could visualize such a neat and clean commit graph after completing the tasks for the final project. Thank you, Steve, for such a brilliant course on Git.

By Marianna G

Oct 15, 2018

Great course! Despite my previous experience with Git/GitHUB I have learned a lot. This course clarified a few confusing points for me. Many thanks to instructors and organizers!

One suggestion for future sessions.

When working with multiple branches, it is sometimes necessary to check the differences between local branches as well as local and remote branches. So, I think adding one more module to address the use of git diff/difftool would be very helpful.

Thanks again for a wonderful course!

By falu

May 01, 2020

This course is well organized and describes the working of commands with ample detail. I found it interesting and informative. Though I had previous knowledge about Git/GitHub, I got to learn many new concepts like Pull requests, Rebasing, Rewriting Histories etc. However, I suggest, This course can include more hands-on work or talk regarding any real-world project to give broad idea to participants regrading the application of concepts learned. It is a valuable course though.

By Paige M

Jun 25, 2018

Learning both tools, Sourcetree and Command Line, were extremely helpful and relevant to my work flow with my remote team. In fact in the middle of this course, our team was given additional training on rebasing, and it was so gratifying that I understood how it worked. Videos and lessons here concise, pertinent and well-produced. Repeating the material, from SourceTree to CLI, with its nuances made the work -- and my progress -- more indelible. This will last.

By Kristian L J

Feb 07, 2019

I have used Git at work for a couple of years now. Despite this, I found some things in this course that I did not know like different Git work flows, a better understanding of the internal workings of Git, as well as other ways of merging (like squash merge). Can highly recommend this course to people who are new to Git as well as people with Git experience who never got the full Git tour. Very good lectures and assignments.

By Soufiane C

Sep 15, 2020

Git from A to Z, this course explains it all. There's a thousand course online that claim to teach Git in 10 minutes, but when you take this one, you understand that they just show the surface. I was using Git at work but I always felt that there are many aspects that I don't fully grasp. After taking this course, I'm now aware of everything that should or can be done, why it's done, and how to do it right.

By Каморзин Б Б

Sep 14, 2020

Great course!

Very helpful indeed. I was a complete noob, when my boss asked me to start our repo for the project, and now I can use Git very efficiently.

The good thing about this course is not only that it gives you all you need to start fresh, but it does it in an UNDERSTANDABLE and clear way, supported by some nice presentations.

I want to thank the course creator(s) for this lovely and mindful experience.

By Himanshu A

Apr 25, 2018

This was an amazing course. I have taken many MOOC, but after a very long (last I would say was CS50 - from Harvard, by David J. Malan) I found a course so interesting and informative. I have also watched the GIT YouTube videos and other stuff so I can confidently say that if someone is looking to build a solid foundation on GIT VCS then I think there is no better course to take than this.

High recommended.