Back to What is Social?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Social? by Northwestern University

The “What Is Social?" MOOC is for business owners, executives, and marketing professionals who want to significantly improve their abilities to grow their social strategy using effective, proven methodologies. This hands on, "how to" program won’t just tell you how to grow your professional persona using social – you will actually do it! This course is the first in the six-course specialization, Social Media Marketing: How to Profit in a Digital World. While the course can be audited for free, paid learners will receive additional content beyond the course basics. For MOOC 1, the toolkit includes a special video from Alessandro Acquisti on Big Data and a set of studies done by IBM on engagement and social marketing strategies with bottom-line profits. This course has been designed to give you the tools, insights, knowledge, and skills to immediately impact your organization. In addition, we will help you network with thought leaders in social. After completing this course, you and your organization’s staff will be able to position, engage, and grow relationships with the consumers of highest value to you. Today, we are living in a period of massive disruption. New technologies are changing the way people engage with each other and with the organizations that interest them. This course will start you on the path to growing your own social strategy using effective, proven methodologies. Additional MOOC 1 faculty include: * Judy Ungar Franks (President, The Marketing Democracy, Ltd. & Lecturer, Medill Integrated Marketing Communications, Northwestern)...

CQ

May 13, 2016

A really great introduction to Social Media Marketing and an opportunity to gain access to really useful tools that make me competitive in the job market. Very excited to begin MOOC 2 of this program.

FF

Oct 07, 2016

Great course. Looking forward completing whole specialization.\n\nAdditionally, the course shares and recommends tools which are helpful if you are doing social media marketing or eager to become one.

176 - 200 of 666 Reviews for What is Social?

By Karim D S

Dec 01, 2017

Randy is a great professor and I enjoyed being one of his students, he provided useful information and was really helpful. Thanks Randy!

By MohamedRamadanMohamedAbdelrahman

Feb 04, 2018

it is great course

By Donnelle M

Sep 17, 2017

This course is the best.

By Hanady E M

Sep 22, 2017

great course, very well planned out and gave me social marketing tools that i never knew existed, highly recommended.

By Rohit K

Dec 04, 2017

all about social what you need to know

By Kelly B S

Jun 13, 2018

Very helpful and educational!

By Cathy P

Feb 09, 2018

For a beginner learning about the dynamics to define what exactly is social, this course is eye opening. I wished I would have taken this course earlier. There is still more to learn but this first step sets the foundation on which you can continue to build your knowledge and expertise. Gives you the background on what is social and then ends with the start of directly engaging with the social networks on a professional level. I look forward to the next set of courses.

By Lance B

Jul 17, 2017

Great introductory course, gave me great insight on the topic of social media. There's a great shift taking place in marketing!

By Tirtha K N

Jun 29, 2018

A very relevant and helpful course. The instructor, Prof.Randy Hlavac, explains the concepts behind social media activities in a simple and easy to understand way. I enjoyed learning from this course. Highly recommended.

By Rabeeah N A

Sep 25, 2017

Thank you for this helpful course.

By Jay T

Oct 09, 2017

Very good course!

Nov 30, 2017

Very informative overview of various forms of social and how they each fit in the larger world of social media marketing.

By mohammad

Jan 22, 2018

Very in-lighting for beginners and informative for starting up.

By soufiane a

Feb 01, 2018

worth five stars

Aug 03, 2017

I enjoyed this course especially how it forced me to tweet and socially interact, which is something I hate doing. I also appreciated some of the course requirements that asked me to sign up for social metrics like Hootsuite and Klout. I knew about them but would have never signed up if not asked to in this course. Thanks!

By Jonathan R

Sep 30, 2017

Great course!!!! Thank you

By Sandeep s

Jun 04, 2017

Its a awesome course for beginners like me.

By Shannon R

Jun 21, 2017

A very good overview of social media, marketing strategy, and a great introduction to both for beginners!

By Andres H

Jul 13, 2017

Very good

By Toby W

Jul 25, 2017

Exciting that such an esteemed US marketing university - Northwestern University -- has offered this social media marketing specialization. This opening module -- What is Social -- does an excellent job of defining social media marketing and the accelerated rate of change, trends, available technologiesthat is happening here. I love the conceptual work paired up with practical applications and examples to maximize learning. Randy Hlavac and the presenting team of experts do a great job. As a late-deafened marketer, I am particularly happy that a transcript and captions are offered with each video for me. Kudos to Northwestern and Coursera for making these necessary ADA accommodations. I want to call out Experts (1) Judy Frank presentation on "Media: Chaos to Clarity" and (2) Stan Smith's "Position as Authority Brand" as must-see. As the lead presenter, Randy does an excellent job guiding each student through the process. I would highly recommend this specialization and this specific "What is Social?" course. Well done.

By Luis S

Aug 28, 2017

Great course!!!

By Sohail B

Sep 23, 2017

Brief Profile: Sohail Butt

I am a man of 58 years old and having an experience of almost 30 years of Business Management of Pharmaceutical & Nutraceutical Industries of Pakistan. Presently I am having my own Consulting Company " AIMMS CONSULTING" and extending my services as Management Consultant to different companies of said sectors.

I am of the conviction that learning is never ending and have a habit of learning new ideas about my favorite subject about Social Media Marketing.

I really appreciate highly the efforts of my respected dynamic & highly competent Prof Randy Hlavac and enjoyed the course material and videos presentation of this course. Mind blowing conceptual approach was adopted especially in the areas of basic conceptual knowledge of Social Medial Overall it was my superb experience of learning.

SUGGESTION:

MY PERSONAL HUMBLE REQUEST, Please make also the important components of course material as a part of this Certificate with % AGGREGATE so that it has a much more worth & impact for the courses participated.

By Dwylett M

Aug 07, 2017

Very engaging and thoughtfully presented overview and introduction to the course offerings. Had my first big AHA moment which completely validated my decision to enroll/pay for the course.

By Sravanthi

Feb 12, 2018

This course helped to understand the real meaning of social. I came to know many new sites and technologies helping today to be social.

By Jessica A

Nov 01, 2017

This course taught me a great deal about the basics on social media, even as a low l