Back to Cryptography I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Cryptography I by Stanford University

Cryptography is an indispensable tool for protecting information in computer systems. In this course you will learn the inner workings of cryptographic systems and how to correctly use them in real-world applications. The course begins with a detailed discussion of how two parties who have a shared secret key can communicate securely when a powerful adversary eavesdrops and tampers with traffic. We will examine many deployed protocols and analyze mistakes in existing systems. The second half of the course discusses public-key techniques that let two parties generate a shared secret key. Throughout the course participants will be exposed to many exciting open problems in the field and work on fun (optional) programming projects. In a second course (Crypto II) we will cover more advanced cryptographic tasks such as zero-knowledge, privacy mechanisms, and other forms of encryption....

LG

Dec 16, 2017

This course gives is perfect to start learning cryptography, explanations are detailed, topics carefully selected combining theory with real world examples and making emphasis in important details.

BC

Mar 11, 2017

Cutting edge cryptography topics. Good explanations and slides, but pause button is highly recommended. Can be a bit too mathematical for the general public, and not very formal for mathematicians.

251 - 275 of 527 Reviews for Cryptography I

By Mark P

May 05, 2017

Excellent in-depth introduction to the field of Cryptography! Absolutely rigorous treatment of the subject, down to every last mathematical detail. I feel like I sat in on a real university course at Stanford, and I believe this experience will help my work, my employer's products and will allow me to look critically at cryptographic code that comes across my desk. Thanks Prof. Boneh!

By Srinivas I

Oct 08, 2016

Very informative beginner course. Perfect for someone who needs to understand the basics. Prof Boneh's instructions were excellent and the quizzes were tough but valuable.

By Marco G

Feb 08, 2017

Recommended!

By Thein T T L

May 31, 2017

This is a really exciting and enjoyable course. I've learnt a lot. The segments are structured very well, and the assessment questions and exercises are very helpful.

By Kenneth H

Apr 09, 2017

This course is the real deal. You will have to work hard to pass it. It gives a solid overview of the main cryptographic concepts like pseudo random generators, functions and permutations, block and stream ciphers, public key encryption, and key exchange. If you haven't studied number theory, plan to spend some extra time getting up to speed.

By George M

Dec 23, 2016

Great Instructor, really enjoyed his style of expanding the math "sentences" into lay English EVERY SINGLE TIME! That really helped this learner "go with the flow" as my background is CS.

By James N

Jun 24, 2017

I learned a tremendous amount from this course and it provided the grounding for an array of different areas of infosec studies I am pursuing. I highly recommend it. Many of the ideas were easy and intuitive to grasp, but there is also enough depth that I will likely take the course again at a later date.

The quizzes and projects were thoughtful and challenging, and effectively tested that the student understands the key ideas of material.

By Guthmann L

Apr 06, 2018

Great content, very challenging and incredible teaching. Amazing course

By Joseph A D

Oct 22, 2017

I liked it so much I took it twice.

By Prabhakaran K

Mar 24, 2016

Simply amazing! A great social service in the history of Education.

By Feiyu L

Apr 03, 2018

Very comprehensive overview of Cryptography. Though a bit too mathematical for me, the gist of it is very helpful to understand cryptocurrency protocol design of Bitcoin, Ethereum, Monero...

By Lucio C G

Dec 16, 2017

By Javier L

Mar 02, 2018

Learning Cryptograpy is not a walk in the park as it requires a good understanding of the theoretical foundations and it is so easy to get wrong, yet it is essential for an IT professional to get a good grasp of the subject. This course is invaluable in that respect, the instructor presents the material in a clear, concise fashion without overwhelming with the math involved, giving the overview you need as a professional.

By Liang

Mar 17, 2016

I have already finished this course in 2014. This is my second time. Five-star recommendation!

By Gustavo S

Mar 08, 2016

When someone explains concepts and ideas in such an easy way, it means he/she understands fully what he talks about; this is the case of Professor Dan Boneh; I widely recommend this course for anyone interested in Cryptography topics.

By José d J G R

Aug 04, 2016

This is just a great course. The subject was new to me, and while it was difficult, I learned a lot and actually got a good grade.

Prof. Boneh is engaging and very clear in his explanations.

By Alfred L

Jan 14, 2017

Great introduction to the concepts. I really enjoyed learning everything in this course. My only regret is that I was too busy to take time to do the optional programming assignments.

By Julien C

May 31, 2017

Excellent material to learn what "security" means, and what algorithms have been built to improve it.

By Abdur R R K

Aug 25, 2017

This course has taught me crypto basics in the best possible way. I am eagerly waiting for the second part to enhance my knowledge about this interesting field. The Lectures and they way questions were formed in quizzes made the learning interesting and benefiting. Best wishes to the instructor and Organizer who arranged and compiled the course material.

By janeqiu

Jun 03, 2017

Great introduction to cryptography. I have learned a lot from it, but still, there is much to study in this field. Surely I would come back again.

By Vijai K S

Jun 14, 2016

This time it will be finished. I have such a craze on cryptography and network security. i want to finish the course perfectly this time :)

By Paulo E d V

Sep 04, 2017

A great introduction to cryptography!

Jul 04, 2017

very good course about cryptography

By kaarthik s

Sep 18, 2017

This is an amazing course and taught the basics of cryptography, including all the math required to understand it. For someone who graduated almost 20 years ago, going through this course provided an amazing and easy to understand intro to cryptography and the associated math. I look forward to the second part of this course.

By Anthony H

May 06, 2017

Very clear yet challenging introduction to basic cryptography concepts. Be sure to take notes and practice as much as possible with the modular arithmetic presented.