Back to Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology by University of Alberta

Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology is a 12-lesson course teaching a comprehensive overview of non-avian dinosaurs. Topics covered: anatomy, eating, locomotion, growth, environmental and behavioral adaptations, origins and extinction. Lessons are delivered from museums, fossil-preparation labs and dig sites. Estimated workload: 3-5 hrs/week....

JH

Apr 06, 2017

Thank you for this excellent course! I really enjoyed the short videos, the concise notes, and quick quizzes (both at the end of each lesson, as well as the main point quizzes throughout the videos).

FA

Aug 10, 2020

The instructors' explanation are very clear and easy to understand. Would definitely recommend this to anyone who is interested in Paleontology or dinosaurs in general. I really had fun learning.

26 - 50 of 750 Reviews for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

By Arturo M

May 18, 2017

Excellent course. All presentations, either of Betsy Kruky or Dr. Phil Curry were very straightforward. I am a biochemist but my undergraduate field is biology and one of my favourites field of biology is that related with fossil records in particular with all these magnificient animals, the dinosaurs. For a guy with scientific training (as one that is sharing this thoughts) is a pleasure to listen and to read material full of scientific evidence. This aspect makes, to me, a strong, serious and professional way to present this particular course. I want to congratulate all personnel involved in the development of this course, in particular to Betsy and Dr. Curry, and all personnel of University of Alberta. I encourege all of you to see more courses in this field with you guys soon. Congrats!

By Renato C V R

Sep 21, 2020

Muchas gracias por los conocimientos entregados de paleontología en este curso. Como profesional de las ciencias ambientales, pienso que este curso es de calidad, entregando al participante las herramientas para iniciar la comprensión de la ciencia de la paleo-biología. Me gustaría que docentes de la Universidad de Alberta se comunicaran conmigo, par saber si existen cursos similares. Saludos afectuosos desde Chile.

Thank you very much for the knowledge you put of paleontology in this course. As an environmental sciences professional, this course is of quality, delivering to it the tools to initiate understanding of the science of paleo-biology. I would like professors from the University of Alberta to contact me, to know if there are similar courses. Affectionate greetings from Chile.

By Ïan B

May 13, 2018

Excellent cours ! Betsy Kurk is a wonderful teacher. C'est passionnant, d'un high level, the questions in the middle of the course = excellent ! It is the better course I've ever heard on Internet. The first lesson is the hardiest with all the new names, and I had to listen several times some lessons to really get it ; I will miss you ! Je vous adore et je voudrais ne jamais vous quitter ! I hope you will discover more and more pieces of dinosauria in your Alberta Dinosaur Park ! Now I can say to everybody then Jurassic Park is stupid, it I "Cretace Park" in fact ! and I understood that theropod were less interesting that sauropods, solid species of jurassic ! Thank you so much ! Congratulations from and old art and literature blue-haired university professor from Paris, France !

By ELAINE M B

This Very Enjoyable yet informative course has been pitched so that the keen dabbler can learn details about dinosaurs that are usually the secrets of paleontologists and professional fossil hunters, and it would be a good base for learning before moving onto a more specialist dinosaur course! Most adult learners can easily do the work in an hour or two a week, but keen youngsters (12+, I'd estimate) might find the technical terms a bit challenging, and need a little longer to work through the films and reading. It is very well made and written, and my only quibble is that the assessments are somewhat basic and easy - I'd like something that tested the understanding at a deeper level, but others may not be pleased with that! All in all, an Excellent Educational Experience!

By Robin L

Nov 03, 2016

This is my first time trying out an online course and I must say I am extremely impressed with the detail.This had made me even more interested in Dinosaurs now! Firstly a great way to learn about Dinosaurs and palaeontology .This course was brilliantly detailed and extremely engaging. Everyone in the videos were clear and engaging to listen to,the way the information was presented in different locations simply excellent.The video lectures were wonderful with the way they make you think,especially putting questions within the video lectures were wonderfully done. The notes before hand were also well presented and put together.

So thank you Dino 101 team I have really enjoyed Dino 101 and will be looking into your other courses in the future.

By Geraldy K

Jul 15, 2020

I've loved dinosaurs since my childhood. I read books and watch movies or documentaries of these magnificent creatures. Thus, I am often called a 'dinosaur expert' by my peers. I even have a nickname 'Kiantasaurus' as of I myself am a dinosaur.

Thanks to this course, at least now I can say "Hey, I have a certificate to proof my loving of dinosaur." However, this course has given much more beyond that. Though short, I've learned a ton of new things that I had never heard or read before joining this course. Also, with the pandemic still running around, for the least, Dino 101 has given one cheerful color in my quarantine story.

Thank you Dino 101 Team. Best luck for your future dinosaur research.

Best regards from Indonesia,

Geraldy Kianta

By Kylee S

Aug 24, 2020

This course was very educational and got me extremely interested in paleontology. I went in thinking it would just be a fun way to spend my quarantine, but because of this class, I'm considering a career path in paleontology. The class setup was well designed, with lesson notes at the beginning of each module, and then videos after the notes. I liked that this setup allowed me to take notes and then follow along and add new things if something was added in the videos. You can tell that the instructors are passionate about paleontology, but explain everything in a way that makes sense to beginners. I highly recommend this course to anyone wanting to know more about prehistoric life.

By Stephen J A

Mar 31, 2017

Great course, so interesting, I learned so much. It is presented well and helps you to be methodical and taught me to analyse with a new perspective. I find I am now able to understand better the scientific papers that are published. It is such a shame that it is over, but Intend to continue with my studies. The additional material at the end of each lesson is a great idea which causes you to research even more. If you have an interest in these fantastic creatures, how they came to be and why they disappeared, apart from the birds of course, then this is the course for you and you don't have to have a degree to complete this course, just an enquiring mind. S. ATKINS

By Daniel A

Mar 02, 2020

I thought this was an incredible course to do as it was very well done by the Dino 101 team. I got a lot of joy and pleasure whilst doing this course as i have always had a great interest and fascination with dinosaurs, ever since i watched the 1999 documentary 'Walking with Dinosaurs' and of course 'Jurassic Park. Whilst doing this course i also gained and learned a lot of skills and information, such as the processes of digging up and studying the fossils, along with learning how to distinguish and group fossils from extinct species etc. I also just want to thank the Dino 101 team for making this course as it has been a lot of fun.

By Colin R

Feb 03, 2019

Excellent course, easy to navigate ( around the on line course) for an old fuddy duddy like me; pitched at right level ( even though it is beginner level it wasn’t patronising or overly simplified I felt.), thankyou very much. I’m definitely going to undertake further courses through Coursera and especially at Alberta University-I thought Phillip and Betsy were great-enthusiastic and knowledgable ofcourse and grabbed my attention for the start.

On another note I’m struggling to be able to download a certificate ( I only want it for my own personal record) -can you advise please? Diolch yn fawr ( Thanks - in Welsh)

By Viv B

Aug 26, 2020

Great course. Great videos and expllanations for beginners. I have purchased some books on the back of this and have started watching Walking with Dinosaurs DVDs. One small criticism. The questions for the quizzes which often include drawings disappear too quickly for me before you see the options for answers. A very minor quibble. I will do some of the other dinosaur courses with the University of Alberta. Would also recommend the Great Extinctions course on the Futurelearn website which led me to the Dino 101 course. Thanks |University of Alberta. I have told my friends about this exciting way to learn !

By Maxwell P

Feb 21, 2018

I'm an amateur fossil hunter and paleontology enthusiast. This was a fun and engaging course. I only wish it were longer, and I'm looking forward to watching other courses from the U of Alberta paleontology folks. My 10 yo also watched and enjoyed some sections with me. That he was able to understand and extrapolate information well enough to critically answer some of the quiz questions speaks to the excellent way the material was presented- both simply and thoroughly. Thank you for providing such high quality free science education materials. I just wish there were a way I could join y'all in the field!

By Max C

Apr 23, 2019

I loved this course a lot! It teaches a lot about not just dinosaurs but also other creatures that lived before and after dinosaurs; it also reviews many things I'd learned before from school-level geology, books, and scientific media, but it still adds more detail and explains them again. If you're unsure of something said, it almost always explains it either right when the topic is introduced or somewhere else in the course. Overall, I loved this course and it taught me a lot. I love telling the people I know neat facts and trivia from the lessons. Thank you for making this course :]

By JOSÉ P

May 15, 2020

I thank the University of Alberta, Canada for this opportunity that I greatly value. The Scientists in charge of the course, of the lessons and videos were very didactic, pleasant and facilitated the understanding of the topics for which, as a biology teacher in Venezuela, I congratulate them. I will use what I have learned in my high school classes. The PDF materials are very good and the links they have are very illustrative and informative. Thanks again and many successes. P.S. I would very much like to get a good quality didactic matrial like yours in Spanish.

By Renee N

May 24, 2018

Absolutely LOVED it!! I went into this course thinking I'd be able to name random dinosaurs and accumulate random facts but it was so much more. This course has taught me so much beyond just dinosaurs itself but really gave a glimpse of what the world was like when dinosaurs walked on this very planet. It also broke down a lot of topics like evolution theory and the history of earth, providing a very wholesome view. For someone who does not possess a very scientific mind I actually enjoyed this course very much. I highly recommend this for EVERYONE.

By Nickolas T B

Feb 02, 2017

Wow, what an awesome course. I can't find anything to complain about. The notes were useful and well-formatted, the video lectures were concise and full of clear language and examples to demonstrate ideas, and the quizzes were a lovely balance between easy and impossible, they gave just enough challenge to make me rack my brain for some detail I'd almost forgotten. Awesome course, I am walking away with what was once just a passion for dinosaurs is now a concrete starting point for an academic intrigue in the entire field of paleobiology.

By Rokaiya S

Jul 13, 2020

This was my very first course in coursera and I absolutely love this course! I have been fascinated by dinosaurs always and through this course I learnt so many things! The teachers are so good at teaching and they were absolutely perfect. Their style of explanation, giving example, letting me to think and guess, everything seemed to me a very good game! The whole environment made me think that I was there in the field working with some fossils. I wish to visit that place one day in my life so much!

By Edwin R

Jul 19, 2019

This was truly an amazing and thrilling learning experience. If you are taking this course you can be completely sure you are going to learn a lot about this amazing field. The professors are very welcoming and kind in the way they talk and teach throughout the videos, so you always feel the need to learn more. I completely recommend this course if you are willing to know more about dinosaurs in a deeper approach for beginners. I learnt a lot and I am very thankful with the University of Alberta for that. Thank you so much

By Krisana S

Jun 17, 2020

This course is so amazing. You will not only learn about dinosaurs but also get deep into it. There are many great 3D samples that you can see along with the studying. Moreover, there are so many quizzes challenging your knowledge all the time, surely, it will make you more understanding. Trust me, this course is really worthy to learn. Come in if you love dinosaurs and you will never be bored. At last, Thank you very much for all teacher in Dino 101 team who make the one of the great course in this Coursera. Thanks.

By Pythor ( A

Dec 17, 2017

This is everything I've ever wanted from education. I was interested in this topic ever since middle school. My core education did not offer me such. So I had to seek out the education I want. As luck would have it. This class exists.

If anyone wishes to hone their paleontology skills or want to get into paleontology or just like dinosaurs. This is the course for you. This is a super easy class with super interesting lessons. I hopefully plan on coming to the University of Alberta to fulfill my paleontology dreams.

By Fran S

Sep 22, 2019

Although I've been fascinated by dinosaurs for years, this course offered me the chance to learn so much more about them than I had ever considered before. I especially appreciated the chance to interact with bone and skull 3D reproductions, and the lesson notes at the beginning of each section will serve as an ongoing resource, since I was able to export them as PDFs. I truly appreciate all the work that went into producing Dino 101. By the way -- I'm 72 years old. It's never too late to learn something new!

By Emil

Apr 26, 2020

Very nice course. A little bit long maybe. The girl leading the lectures was definitively customer friendly. (She looks very similar with the male lecturer. At one point I thought, that they were relatives. Now at the end of the course, when I see, that their family names are different, I understand it is not true) I took the course because of the topic. I wanted to hear an university point of view about dinosaurs. The other reason is that subtitles of an European language were available.

By Munawar J

Jun 18, 2017

This was a Great Learning Experience for me and my 5 year old son, Muaziz H Jatoi.

At the age 2, he been telling us that he wants to become and for a year he been claiming of being a Paleontologist, even he claimed, of being A Paleontologist, to the Researchers at Carthage Institute of Paleontology in Kenosha, WI.

Thanks a lot for such a resource & the opportunity to learn in the comfort of home. We would love to talk with Dr Philip Currie and his team of Graduate Students.

By Antonia T B

Sep 10, 2018

A really fascinating course.

I wish there would have been more drawings or skeletons when talking about a dinosaur (sometimes it was hard to follow and the pace was too fast. Also, it's always more interesting seeing pictures or maps than the face of the lecturer all the time). Also, I missed professor Philip John Currie. When he lectured the level went really high. But overall it was an excellent course.

Thanks a lot and many greetings from Spain / Antonia Tejeda Barros