Back to Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology by University of Alberta

Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology is a 12-lesson course teaching a comprehensive overview of non-avian dinosaurs. Topics covered: anatomy, eating, locomotion, growth, environmental and behavioral adaptations, origins and extinction. Lessons are delivered from museums, fossil-preparation labs and dig sites. Estimated workload: 3-5 hrs/week....

JH

Apr 06, 2017

Thank you for this excellent course! I really enjoyed the short videos, the concise notes, and quick quizzes (both at the end of each lesson, as well as the main point quizzes throughout the videos).

PM

Oct 18, 2020

Even as a dinosaur nerd, I still learned a lot. Instructional videos with embedded quizzes were very well constructed. I'm just a bit bummed that I couldn't access the fossil viewer for some reason.

126 - 150 of 778 Reviews for Dino 101: Dinosaur Paleobiology

By MARK M

Jun 28, 2020

I loved this course. It reignited a passion I had for this topic as a young person and I have since read several more books and commenced the "Ancient Marine Reptiles" course. I thought the presentation and format was highly engaging and thank the presenters for the great experience I've had with the course.

By Keshav G

May 05, 2020

Dinosaurs are fascinating creatures and this course was very amazing in all ways. I love dinosaurs and by doing this course I had the chance to look at them with a greater understanding. Miss Betsy and Professor Currie are my new favourite teachers. Thank you so much, Coursera and the University of Alberta...

By Abderrahmane K

Aug 07, 2020

This course is really important for any biologist to understand basic evolutive principles through a bunch of so important information. You will learn about Geological eras and the rise of non-avian dinosaurs, and their relationship to modern birds. I would recommend this course to everyone studying Biology.

By Christopher D

Jun 25, 2020

Very informational and interactive. I came to this course thinking that I would already know everything, but after the first lesson I realized that there was so much more to learn about dinosaurs and ancient life in general. I highly recommend this course as supplementary to one's education and/or interests.

By Clare D

Great course! Well paced and a good level with some very technical data in amongst more basic information.

I've really enjoyed this and look forward to booking a visit to Alberta Museum and Dinosaur Provincial Park froom the UK sometime in the future to find my own dinosaur fossils.

Many, many thanks, Clare.

By Michelle P

Aug 04, 2020

An excellent introduction into prehistoric life for anyone who's ever been interested in dinosaurs and evolution. The range of topics covered made this course both enjoyable and deeply interesting. I looked forward to every lesson and am now keen to learn more. Thank you to the Dino 101 team and UAlberta.

By Trista

Feb 13, 2019

I enjoyed this course. My sons are fascinated with dinosaurs. I took this course to help me to answer their questions. The videos and reading assignments were fun and informative. I enjoyed the extra reading assignments and the videos as well. Thank you so much for making this course available online!

By Sarah G

Aug 31, 2020

I thought this course offered a lot of good info. Some of it is stuff that avid dinosaur enthusiasts would already know, but after all it is a "101" course. I think it's a great starting point for people who would like to become paleontologists, or people who just want to take a class about dinosaurs.

By Lindsey D

Jun 27, 2020

Very interesting and fun course -especially for those who don't know a lot about dinosaurs. the format-with mini quizzes- was great for retaining information. It was a wonderful opportunity for something to do during the Covid 19 shut down. The TA Betsy was a great teacher; I wonder where she is now?

By Parker T

May 06, 2020

This course is great for beginners! I'm not a beginner but this is my first online course. It was great to take what I already know and apply it to a platform I'm learning. The videos are very entertaining. The Fossil Viewer and Interactive Geologic Time Scale are amazing! Definitely a 5-Star course!

By Camila F F V

Sep 19, 2020

What a pitty, is already finished. This was an amazing oportunity to learn new things about dinosaurs. I really love how you managed to teach a lot of things in so little time. I can´t wait to share my new knoledge with friends as interested in dinosaurs as me. You deserve the 5 stars and much more!

By Cameron S

Aug 18, 2020

A great introduction to dinosaurs, paleontology, and geologic time. Students new to these topics will learn a lot, and those more familiar with them will enjoy the fun refresher. My only complaint is that the 3D fossil viewer did not work for me, but I won't let that detract from my 5-star rating.

By Eudald S

Oct 05, 2017

Excelent course, I had the opportunity to learn all about dinosaurs, and after finishing it, i want to continue with the other courses that the university of Alberta offers. Thank you all for this great way to learn and specially to Betsy, who gives the information in a great way to be understood.

By Kati U

May 07, 2020

This course was so incredible. Not only was it easy to follow and full of incredible knowledge, it may have just changed the course of my life. I am so excited to learn more, and this class is what has sparked the creative paleontology and geology curiosity inside of me. I am eternally grateful.

By LYNELLE T W Q

Jul 11, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this module! It was a great introduction to dinosaurs and the world before humans existed. The terminologies and names of dinosaurs might be hard to keep up with but the instructors explained them well and concisely. I recommend this to anyone who loves dinosaurs like I do!

By Isabella S

A fantastic, fun, and fascinating course that I enjoyed every step off. It was challenging but not overwhelming and the videos and notes were interesting to read, with brilliant instructors. This course allowed me to fulfil my childhood dream of studying dinosaurs and I am immensely grateful.

By Richard E

Oct 25, 2019

I was torn between 4 and 5 stars. The content is excellent as ar the provided references. The presenters clearly know their subject matter and are excellent communicators.

Work is needed to go back and debug all of the English transcripts which are loaded with miswordings and misspellings.

By Nicole L

Apr 09, 2020

Really enjoyed it and am very glad something like this is accessible to everyone. Thank you! Minor bug, please give more time on the interactive questions in the videos before switching to the screen with answer options. Some need you to be able to look at the picture longer. Thanks again!

By Giles S

Jun 11, 2018

This course was very educational, and I absolutely enjoyed it. I learned a lot about dinosaurs not only from the videos each week, but also from the handout PDFs. Looking forward to studying paleobiology in the future, possibly at the U of A! Thank you for providing this great online course!

By Om N V

Jun 25, 2020

i really like this course ,as a 13 year old i have a very inquisitive mindset and i really enjoyed the tutoring.This course has also been able to expand my career options and will anyways help me in zoology .the only bad part was that my 3D fossil viewer did not work the whole course:)LOL.

By Steve B

Oct 07, 2019

An excellent overview presented in a very accessible way by a very enthusiastic team.

Totally coincidentally I visited the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Alberta in the month before I started this course. To see the museum and its specimens used to present this course was just amazing.

Many thanks!

By Phillip W R

Aug 04, 2017

This was a fantastic course! It really opened my eyes about a lot of misconceptions I had about dinosaurs. I really liked how the course emphasized not only dinosaur behavior and anatomy, but they also focused on putting dinosaurs in an evolutionary, ecological, and geographical context.

By Zyanya M O

Sep 07, 2020

My childhood dream come true, at 30 years old. It was very entertaining, I learned more than I thought I would, and I was able to start in the way of Sciences (I'm from Humanities). I will definitely be seeing you soon (2021) for the other dino-courses in the series!

Thank you so much!

By Andres F

Oct 10, 2018

Excellent course! I liked the last reflexive thought: We, the society, should guide our efforts in protect and conserve species in danger and propose practical solutions to solve the contamination problem and the greenhouse effect, instead of trying to resurrect ancient extinct species.