Back to The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World by Tel Aviv University

The Holocaust was an inconceivable historical event, which forever robbed Western culture of its innocence. As civilized human beings, we fail to understand how events of such horror could have taken place, and how an idea so inhumanly warped could have spread like wildfire through an entire continent, instigating the systematic annihilation of millions of Jews. This free online course was produced jointly by Tel Aviv University and Yad Vashem – the World Holocaust Remembrance Center. The course tracks the history of the Holocaust and has two parts. "The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World" is the first of the two courses and covers the following themes in its three weeks: Week 1: From Hatred to Core Ideology We will try to delve into Nazi ideology and the special place of Jews and Judaism in it. We will also discuss how the National Socialist Party converted the German Democracy of the Weimar Republic into a totalitarian regime within a short period of time, and its meaning for Jews and non-Jewish citizens. Week 2: The World and the Jews in World War II We will try to examine the broader contexts of the Holocaust and to place it, as part of World War 2. In this meeting we will also refer to the vital Jewish world to be found under various Nazi occupations and influences. Week 3: The Isolation Abyss - the Perspective of the Individual We will try to reveal different aspects of Jewish life in the face of the badge of shame, ghettos and segregation, as well as the formation of individual, societies’ and leader’s reactions in the face of a consistent policy of dispossession and discrimination. Once you’ve completed this course, you can continue your learning with The Holocaust - An Introduction (II): The Final Solution (https://www.coursera.org/learn/holocaust-introduction-2/home/welcome) This online course is offered in an innovative, multi-level format, comprising: * Comprehensive lectures by leading researchers from Tel Aviv University and Yad Vashem. * A wealth of voices and viewpoints presented by guest lecturers. * Numerous documents, photos, testimonies and works of art from the time of the Holocaust. * Novel learning experience: Crowd sourcing – involving the learners themselves in the act of collecting and shaping information, via unique, exciting online assignments. REQUIREMENTS: This course is designed for anyone with an interest in the Holocaust, including students, teachers, academics and policy-makers....

D

Mar 28, 2016

A fascinating personal account of the atrocity while the world watched! This class is for everyone there is so much more to learn, thank you for everything you went out of you way to help, God Bless

MM

Feb 27, 2016

Insightful and In-depth introductory of the events leading to the catastrophic events of holocausts coupled with engaging quiz. Additional reading supplements were great as well. Recommended

1 - 25 of 146 Reviews for The Holocaust - An Introduction (I): Nazi Germany: Ideology, The Jews and the World

By JOSENCLEVES D A M

Jun 30, 2019

The course provided me with information on the places I consider relevant to write my book.

By Michel V C

Jun 28, 2019

Deseo un mayor conocimiento respecto a este tema y este curso me viene súper, lo mejor es que están en ESPAÑOL.

Muchas gracias.

By IndraniSharma

Jun 22, 2019

I have since a long time now been keen on studying about the Holocaust and the Nazi Ideology that led to it. Up until now i had been self educating myself by reading various books, publications, watching videos etc. However the system did not look very cohesively. The information i was getting was in a disorganised fashion. Then i came across this course and knew i had to take it. And for the first time since i have strived to know more about this subject was i able to get information in a well-integrated and structured format. The course starts exactly from a point and time in history which is relevant to studying the holocaust. The course was immensely eye opening and the content truly compelling. I can't wait to start the 2nd part of the course.

By Laura G

Jun 11, 2019

Este curso estuvo excelente, de verdad lo recomiendo a quienes tengan algun interes por este tema.

By Jerónimo G O

Jun 07, 2019

Ameno, instructivo, y anima a seguir profundizando en éste tema.

By LeRoy G

Jun 05, 2019

This is a great course to take to get a small look into the bigger picture of the Holocaust. I like very much what I study here and ready to learn more along with American History. Anyone that is looking to study what had happened in WW2 between 1938 to 1945 this is a start. Videos like this one also help to better understand the question of WHY it started https://youtu.be/zUW9RsZwgAE

LaRoy Graham

By Mitali S

Jun 02, 2019

Very good , definitely recommended

By Manu S

May 28, 2019

A very good course to understand Nazi Germany, Jews lives under Hitler rule and the outlook of the Europian world towards the Jews. I absolutely loved the professor's teaching style, the course content was good and concise and very informative. Reading session further helped me in understanding the whole scenario better, quizzes between the lessons helped me in retaining most of the lesson.

By Sam C

May 15, 2019

gagagagag

By Leo C

May 11, 2019

WOW! Content is upsetting but delivered in an engaging and challenging way! Changes the way you think and see things.

By Beatriz A D A Q

May 07, 2019

Amazing

By Liam h

Apr 27, 2019

really intresting and importanat

By Rishabh J

Apr 22, 2019

This is an excellent course with good content and structure.

By Pascal L S

Apr 20, 2019

An excellent introduction to the with lots of new information for those of you who have already studied the history of the Holocaust before.

By Elizabeth N C

Mar 27, 2019

Excellent and in depth introduction to the Holocaust, explaining much of the background, history, and events of the first part of WWII for European Jews and the years just prior to it. If you have ever asked yourself "How could this horrific event have happened? What were people doing that it wasn't stopped?" then this course is for you. This is a course I think everyone should take so that we truly learn from history.

By Phillip H

Mar 16, 2019

This is an excellent class. Professor Dreifuss' lectures were well organized and presented. Being able to hear the lecture and then read the transcript is an excellent learning approach, especially for a poor note taker like me. The topic sequence was logical and led me from the rise of Hitler to the preparation for his final solution. I have read a small number of books on the Holocaust but I found much information that I didn't know I didn't know. I am enrolled in Part II and looking forward to the class. I must also mention the mentor Lilian Zihni. Her critiques of our writing assignments were in many cases detailed additional relevant information.

Most Sincerely, Phil Hawkes Ph.D

Jan 30, 2019

Excelent!!!

By Michelle M

Jan 01, 2019

Fairly good course, but lacked in style, approach and content. Did not meet my expectations.

By Lourdes N M

Nov 18, 2018

A life changing experience

By Thiago d A M

Nov 06, 2018

Faltou uma legendas em outros idiomas.

By Wong P Y

Nov 06, 2018

Passionate professor and lecturer.

By Jean-Christophe H

Oct 04, 2018

Une excellente première introduction à la Shoah. C'est une occasion de reprendre ce que l'on croyait savoir sur le sujet, connaissances souvent passablement partielles en raison de la masse de ce que l'on est supposé étudier en première/terminale. Les vidéos sont courtes, chaque sujet abordé en profondeur, des compléments sont fournis. Les mentors sont très réactifs ce qui se comprend étant donné le sujet et les individus qui pourraient profiter de failles pour se lancer dans une surenchère dans l'abject. Là, rien de tel.