Back to Building Your Career in Music: Developing A Brand and Funding Your Music

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Building Your Career in Music: Developing A Brand and Funding Your Music by Berklee College of Music

4.4

This course shares practical tips and strategies to help you take your first step into launching your career as a musical artist. We’ll cover everything from developing your unique identity as an artist and how to lead a band all the way to planning and recording your first independent record with the help of crowdfunding. The course curriculum is modeled from the real-world experience of Leah Waldo (also known as the emerging country artist, Elisa Smith) and features interviews with industry executives, artists, producers, and engineers — all designed to help you navigate the music industry....

AA
Oct 3, 2020

This course has helped me a lot in finding put the driving forces to accomplish my career goal as a musician. Moreover it helped me to identify the various music brand partnership around the globe.

JM
May 4, 2021

This course contained some information I already knew, but it taught me valuable lessons about artist brand, producer hunting, building a recording budget, and managing a crowdfunding campaign.

51 - 75 of 84 Reviews for Building Your Career in Music: Developing A Brand and Funding Your Music

By Mauricio G Z

Sep 3, 2020

great

By Nagappan R

Aug 27, 2020

Good

By Brett M H

Aug 14, 2018

I really love this course and think Leah Waldo's perspective as a musician is vital to understanding how to navigate the music business. I feel like this is part of Course 4 mixed with an actual musician's experience and guidance. It was really nice to feel like Leah understood that everything she was teaching was just a reflection of herself and her own experiences. I really appreciated this course even though she is a country music performer and I create beats - I felt like she cut through a lot of the crap that I might face as just a random student/musician in this course. As a producer, I felt like I was able to learn so much valuable information about how I need to navigate the music business even though I might be unaccustomed to that point of view. It made me think differently, and also allowed me to connect with a different genre of music. Leah was really good at emphasizing that the IVI is important to an artist and I think that translates to anyone trying to do something creative so it was one lesson that I pulled out of the whole course and can apply to almost anything creative. Learning about networking was also vital in teaching me about how I can extend my social sphere and try to reach out to my audience on a small and larger level.

By Andrew A

Apr 9, 2020

It was ok. Good to get some practice to help students I teach. The final project asks you to pick one component in the initial description, then expects you have done all components after you have submitted the project... so that was less good. This course is done from the perspective of an artist, with only industry people the artist has worked with being brought in. If you want the industry insider (producer, marketer, social media expert) experience, this is not it.

By James N

This is useful for those who need guidance on artist identity and vision and is new to the process of recording, collaborating, producers, setting article goals and the business side of working as an artist. This doesn't go massively into the detail one would want from a more experienced angle, but I enjoyed this reliably less-intensive Berklee course.

By Olga L

Dec 23, 2020

It was a good course, but gets too deep into subjects that aren't suitable for beginners. There are so many things to consider before thinking about crowdfunding for example. However, it was good to learn.

By Elena T

Aug 26, 2020

As a Marketing student, I have to admit that I really liked this course.

It gave me a clearer idea of the music industry and suggestions from a Marketing perspective on how to promote an artist!

By Jeffrey T N

Jul 9, 2020

Very good material for singer/songwriter with a small band wanting to make their first recording, or a budding artist planning to put something together.

By LeAttol ( E L

Jan 8, 2018

This course seems silly at first But it's an eye opener, Especially to the idea that the business seems a bit off kilter and over enthusiastic

By Dan C

Jul 27, 2018

This is a good course. I really appreciated used her personal experience as a living case study to teach and demonstrate the material.

By jan c w

Mar 16, 2021

Very informative and easy to follow, learned great tips that i was not aware of, so as to make my career to the next level

By Abu S M F

Jun 15, 2020

You get to know a lot about crowdfunding, would like more in-depth methods and mechanics

By James c

Jul 30, 2020

Informative and good advice. Thanks alot

By AADIL K

Jul 1, 2020

Great course

By Stephanie A

Sep 28, 2020

I took this course as part of the Music Business Specialization and am not a musical artist myself. This course was geared towards musical artists and although I learned a lot of valuable information, some of the assignments were unnecessary for someone in my position including the final project. They should consider making it so non-artists can just do the peer-review portion and not the submission.

By Rohit V R

Jul 29, 2020

Instead of making me sit through Q&A sessions, I felt that these sessions could be used as research for the instructor and put forward to me as a more comprehensive maybe point wise instructions on what I need to do so I can make better note of things.

By Karel P

Aug 30, 2020

Creo que el curso tiene algunos conceptos desactualizados y otros muy personales. Por ejemplo, existen muchos casos de éxito de artistas cuyos ingresos dependen solo del streaming.

By Adam G

Mar 10, 2021

This Course gave you a good base of knowledge, but some of it is outdated for today. Also, many of the topics are common sense with a few good pieces of info thrown in.

By Elihú R M

Jan 22, 2019

Esta bueno el curso; sin embargo, tiene algunos errores como la entrega final.

By Andrés F G

Jul 8, 2020

Its cool, but I would like that the instructor already have more trayectory

By Leonardo R

Oct 22, 2020

Good... but basic, not updated and not deep