Back to Databases and SQL for Data Science

Databases and SQL for Data Science, IBM

About this Course

Much of the world's data resides in databases. SQL (or Structured Query Language) is a powerful language which is used for communicating with and extracting data from databases. A working knowledge of databases and SQL is a must if you want to become a data scientist. The purpose of this course is to introduce relational database concepts and help you learn and apply knowledge of the SQL language. It is also intended to get you started with performing SQL access in a data science environment. The emphasis in this course is on hands-on and practical learning . As such, you will work with real databases, real data science tools, and real-world datasets. You will create a database instance in the cloud. Through a series of hands-on labs you will practice building and running SQL queries. You will also learn how to access databases from Jupyter notebooks using SQL and Python. No prior knowledge of databases, SQL, Python, or programming is required. Anyone can audit this course at no-charge. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you can also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

By TP

Oct 25, 2018

Practice lab assignments were excellent in reinforcing my learning, they were just the right kind of challenging. This course has been the best one in the Data Science Professional series by far.

By MC

Jun 18, 2018

I really liked this class! The curriculum was well-organized, and I really liked the integration of IBM tools into assignments from the IBM Cloud Lite Suite

127 Reviews

By Haley Tatum

Jan 16, 2019

Great content! Highly recommend for those needed a DB refresher or beginning a journey in the field of Data Science.

By Shivali Dutta

Had a great learning!

By Леонов Никита Алексеевич

Nice course!

By Maria Bruevich

Jan 16, 2019

I actually liked this course. It introduces you to all the basic SQL commands (select, aggregate functions (min, max, sum, avg), joins etc). The labs enable you to create tables in the DB2 database (=the IBM database) and query them from a Jupyter Notebook. I have my own Jupyter Notebook installed , however, you can run and practice queries on the IBM environment as well. Then I liked that in the final assignment in week 5, the last problem 7 was a bit challenging ( I spent some 2 hours on this problem alone! searching the internet and the course forum. As a result, I did memorise how the INNER JOIN command works!!). The rest of the problems really had the same simple commands as in the labs. Finally, I received a helpful response from Rav Ahuja, the tutor of this course, the following day after I posted my question. I liked that rather than giving me a ready command, he pointed me to a general solution to this problem (in case I encounter the same problem again). Overall, I'm impressed with this course.

Hint: please save your log in credentials and the link to Dashboard-IBM Cloud from Lab1/week 1, you'll need to use them many times in other labs and the final assignment!

By Chris Green

Jan 16, 2019

Provided excellent real-world examples for SQL query practice.

By Alberto Rusconi

Jan 14, 2019

The course provides an introduction to SQL but some arguments - such as basic syntax - are only presented and not explained in-depth.

On the other hand, the second part of this course features very interesting labs.

By Alena Novikova

Jan 12, 2019

Great course. All what you need to understand DB concept (if you are new there) + real life data analysis with Python. Very useful.

By Hamza ali

Jan 11, 2019

Excellent course for those who has some basic knowledge of SQL and the last module is the plus of this course.

By Naveen Kumar

Jan 10, 2019

Good content.

By José Rosas

Jan 09, 2019

It was challenging, I haven't found the right solution for the last problem in the exam.