Back to Introduction to User Experience Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to User Experience Design by Georgia Institute of Technology

The focus of this course is to introduce the learner to User Experience (UX) Design User Experience design is design that is user centered. The goal is to design artifacts that allow the users to meet their needs in the most effective efficient and satisfying manner. The course introduces the novice to a cycle of discovery and evaluation and a set of techniques that meet the user's needs. This course is geared toward the novice. It is for learners that have heard about "user experience" or "user interface" design but don't really know much about these disciplines. The course mantra is that “Design is a systematic and data driven process.” Design is systematic because it is based on a set of techniques and also on a cycle of discovery. In this course the learner is introduced to the four step user interface design cycle. Along the way learners are exposed to a set of techniques to gather information about a) what the user needs b)how to design and model interfaces based on these and then how to evaluate the design to ascertain that the user's goals are met. These techniques are tools that are used in a standardized manner and give us the data we use in our design. This means that anyone (regardless of their current training) that is willing to learn these techniques and follow the proposed cycle can be a UX designer!...

AO

Oct 23, 2017

The best introduction classes, gives an overall idea about UI/UX. Grateful for the efforts taken by the Georgia Tech and Coursera. Looking forward to see more courses related to my career. Thank you.

RT

Jul 05, 2020

For an introductory course, this is very efficient and effective in learning terminologies and get a good high-level understanding of Process, types and common techniques used in Design process :)

1 - 25 of 672 Reviews for Introduction to User Experience Design

By Catherine M

Aug 22, 2019

This was really underwhelming. It's very clinical and it's hard to stay engaged watching so many videos of just one person talking. For a course about User Experience taught by a person with a background in psychology, the course design is a joke and very user-unfriendly.

There are no practical elements to this course. Any UX person should know that they should offer opportunities for self-discovery of material via hands-on tasks.

The quizzes pretty much just ask you to regurgitate material via rote learning. I put up with it for a while but I got to Week 3 and got too bored. I have no idea why this course has such high ratings.

By Sama K

Apr 03, 2019

The professor introduces the concepts of user experience in a very structured, practical way that I'm able to immediately apply as I conduct user research in my role as a product manager. The course was quick, and I was able to get through most of the content in less than two days, which was perfect for my purposes.

As a note of caution, the value you get out of this course will be highly dependent on your goal. If you are looking for a quick way to learn fundamentals about user experience, this course is perfect. If you're looking for an in-depth course teach you to be a designer and give you hands-on assignments to practice these concepts, this is not the course for you.

By AARON M O

Oct 23, 2017

By Laura M

Apr 08, 2018

The course would benefit from more storytelling, using real examples from the industry. It was very dry. Touched upon the important terms of User Experience, but not as engaging as the UVA Design Thinking course.

By N A

Feb 01, 2019

The course is very informative, however there are issues with some of the quizzes. Some questions are worded poorly. Others give a list of answers labeled "a", "b", "c", or "d" in the question, but the options are labelled differently in the answer. Lastly, if a question is answered incorrectly, no feedback is given.

By Saloni Y

Sep 21, 2019

The questionnaires were not very effective or challenging, had ambiguous options and not much scope for a case study project with this much knowledge.

By Rami A

Jul 21, 2019

The language is so sophisticated and the teacher of the course don't explain some terms very well and she assume that the student know them. hope to support the text blocks with photos or summaries that help us to learn and get the big picture. Sorry no offence but the teacher made so many mistakes and not prepared well to do it. but I understand at least 60% of the course thanks to google.

By Robin M T

Jul 05, 2020

By Mukul C

Sep 26, 2016

This is an insightful introductory course to User Experience Design. While it is just an introduction, the lessons and the examples provided were comprehensive, leaving you with a thirst for more.

By Hannah B

Jun 28, 2018

I really enjoyed this course! The professor was clear, concise, and offered lots of visual support for the material. My only critique is that the quizzes often asked very specific questions about vocabulary which varies from practice to practice in real world application.

By Shikhar C

Oct 19, 2018

The teacher speaks beautifully. But, her eye movements are too evident and it gives away that she is reading it all. That reduces some interest. But none the less, this course has helped me a lot. I have gained surely. Thanks Coursera.

By Steven H

Dec 09, 2019

Very very basic but gave a good overview of UX Design. Since I took this course to prepare for an interview, it was exactly what I needed. However, I'm not sure it's worth the cost for a certificate because it's so basic.

By Tamás Z

Dec 01, 2019

The course provides a great base knowledge but is not practical enough. I would recommend including some small projects or home works to the course.

By Jungmin C

Feb 12, 2019

Good quality of lectures and easy to understand them. However, there are some spelling errors and repetitive questions in the quiz.

By Kayley B

Apr 05, 2019

Too many links under "Reading"

By Jean-Francois C

Mar 23, 2017

This course is a useful if superficial introduction. The concepts presented are pretty basic, but foundational. The quizzes are very easy.

The instructor covers the topic in a pleasant and clear way. I would, however, have liked examples of a more visual nature (show don't tell).

Ironically, the course materials show disappointingly little concern for user experience or design. The slides look like they were thrown together in a rush and without much care for design or even spell-checking. The quiz multiple choice answers are laid out in an awful, confusing, anti-UX way. Someone should spend a few minutes fixing all of this.

By Daniel L

t

t

s

comment form.

I started the course so I decided to finish it as I hate to leave things half complete, but the course itself was hard work. Not the subject matter, that was fine. It was the way in which it was taught, it was not a pleasure at all. Felt like my brain was melting trying to watch those videos and became a chore just trying to keep my attention. Also found some spelling errors in the transcripts of the videos and the instructor made some mistakes. One that comes to mind is her referring to 'Storyboards' as 'Studyboards' in week 4's first video. These little details are a little distracting.

I appreciate that this course was offered free so I am sorry to return negative feedback but I trust it will be accepted objectively to help you improve in the future. I have to say that this was not a great advertisement for some of your other courses. I think I would prefer more proactive, problem based learning.

By Aya S

Apr 29, 2020

I was incredibly disappointed with both the course materials and the way they were presented. Videos were hard to follow, the presentation was boring, the quiz questions were annoyingly phrased and often centered around random terms which were mentioned in passing. Having completed the course, I don't feel as if I have gained anything besides a list of terms I could have easily searched for elsewhere.

By Claudia P

Nov 20, 2016

This course was way too basic. The instructor basically just gave us links to existing web content. Very disappointed in the course. It felt like the instructor was lazy to develop a real curriculum.

By Bianca G

Jul 05, 2018

Very little information shared through videos, and just a bunch of books/links thrown to the listener. I

By Divyanga G

Feb 26, 2019

I am in the creative field, an architect and an urban planner. User interface design did not just help me understand the importance in a computer enhanced user interface but also in developing better solutions in every interface that a user come across. I personally loved this beginner course and the reading materials that was shared through this course. I look forward to learn more in the upcoming advanced sessions. Professor Dr. Rosa I. Arriaga did an excellent job in explaining UX design terms in the most simplest way to understand.

Designing cannot be ignored as a separate field, while it is a part of even the tiniest task we carry out. Every small task involves a user experience to it. Hence, I would definitely recommend this course anyone who has an eye for design.

By William C

Feb 28, 2019

This course was exactly as described. It provided a good overview of an approach to User Experience Design and helped to familiarize the student with relevant terminology. The time commitment was minimal (I think the estimates provided are on the high-end for time required), however, there was a lot of information provided for someone new to the area of study. After taking this course, I would an expect an individual would have a good idea as to whether they wished to pursue a more in depth study of the topics presented. Key points were reiterated throughout, the video presentations were well done and the quizzes were just challenging enough to ensure you paid attention.

By Yana V

Aug 29, 2017

Dr. Rosa Arriaga is super arcitulate teacher!! (And super stylish:) Thank you so much! Especially for repeating key points several times - that was very useful teaching technique. I was a complete novice in the UX field and I understood everything from the course easily! Maybe it was because I have a degree in Psychology and some phases of UX are very similar to concepts of experimental Psychology.

The amount of information is rather small so it is indeed only an introduction to the field so that you can understand what UX design is all about in general.

By Shivani B

It is a good course for anybody starting with UX Design or wants to brush up their knowledge after having worked on it ( as an involvement).

For somebody seeking a base(strong concepts hold) value from this course, will reap tremendous benefits from the quizzes as well. As they are designed to be, both to brain exercising and encourages an ability to develop a greater understanding of UX Design.

Best Part: It embeds nicely and firmly into your heads if you grab the basic concept of her teachings.

By Anastasiia K

Jul 14, 2020

That was my first course on Coursera, and I must say that was a very good start that gave me the motivation to continue studying online.

The program of the course is well structured and gives a clear understanding of what UX-design is. You can't land your first job in the field right after completing the course but you'll get the directions in which you can develop your skills and knowledge.

I highly recommend this introductory course for everyone who is thinking about a career change.