Back to Business Writing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Business Writing by University of Colorado Boulder

Writing well is one of the most important skills you can develop to be successful in the business world. Over seventy companies and thirty thousand students--from professional writers to new employees to non-native English speakers to seasoned executives--have used the techniques in Business Writing to power their ability to communicate and launch their ideas. This course will teach you how to apply the top ten principles of good business writing to your work, how to deploy simple tools to dramatically improve your writing, and how to execute organization, structure, and revision to communicate more masterfully than ever. From the very first lesson, you'll be able to apply your new learning immediately to your work and improve your writing today. Your ideas are powerful. Learn how to deliver them with the clarity and impact they deserve. "Thank you for giving me the knowledge I need in life. [Business Writing] was helpful, life changing, and has made a huge impact in my writing." -- Message from a Business Writing student The principles you'll learn in this course enable you to become a great business writer. They also provide the foundation for moving into Graphic Design and Successful Presentation, so that you can unleash your best professional self whenever--and however--you present your ideas in the workplace....

YS
Jun 11, 2017

It was an exceptional course with lots to take away from. It taught basic building blocks of business writing and then built upon it which provided a great way to self learn the content of the course.

JS
Jan 9, 2018

Even if English is your first language, this course was a great refresher of how to apply writing skills to email and business documents. I would recommend to anyone looking to sharpen their skills.

776 - 800 of 893 Reviews for Business Writing

By Amy

Feb 17, 2020

Good techniques and tips. Weeks 1 and 4 helped me the most.

Videos needed more editing. Some lessons, especially the round table conversations, were too long and spent too much time advertising the other specialization courses. Watching at 1.25x/1.5x speed helped.

Would recommend - many people would benefit from following the course lessons.

By Joyce S

Oct 16, 2018

This course helped provide important, timeless principles for business writing. Quentin's teaching methods are so enjoyable, it felt like a breeze going through the material, until you come across the difficult assignments! Has just the nice amount of pre-quiz lessons and homework at appropriate difficulty levels.

By Nicole C

Nov 15, 2020

The course format made the lessons easy to comprehend and complete on time. The content is clear and actionable encouraging improvement in your writing immediately. The rubric training in the honors course was useful not just in the application of peer-review but also in improving editing skills.

By Sumit R K

May 14, 2020

This courses helped me to improve my formal writing to a great extent. This helped me to write and revise my own writing to the finest extent and spend my time to save my reader's time. I will be able to convey my thoughts to my reader with more clarity with the knowledge from this course.

By Megan C

May 28, 2017

Professor McAndrew is fantastic! She is very clear and informative as an instructor, but it wasn't a particularly challenging course for me personally. Needless to say, I appreciated being reintroduced to the fundamentals and learning a few things about the craft of business writing.

By Irangie N

Nov 19, 2019

It's a good course. I learnt quite a few techniques as well as relearned some areas of writing long forgotten. However if you are British educated you will notice in order to pass the tests/quiz within the course material you will have to follow the American english style.

By Juliane S

Jul 15, 2017

It was a good course. Very clear explanations and simple to follow. Many of the techniques taught were obvious, but once you actually consistently apply them to your writing they will undoubtedly make a big difference. It is a good foundation course for effective writing.

By sparsh j

Apr 19, 2020

the course provides every rule to write better. One thing I don't like was that the answer sentences we write in quizzes were not evaluated but were marked right and left for students to compare. This confuses the learner regarding the corrective-ness of their sentences.

By Aimie K

Oct 14, 2019

Finding a system to replicate when writing both business and academic papers was my greatest challenge. But through this course, that is a challenge I no longer have to deal with. Many thinks for all the great lessons herein, Dr. McAndrew!

By icsantanap

Jul 23, 2020

I enjoyed making this course. I consider that the activities helped me to improve my writing. Now I can understand the structure of my texts. I continue learning each day and this type of courses, is very rewarding. Thanks very much.

By Lauren B

Feb 28, 2018

It was really helpful how simply Quentin broke it all down. It was not at all challenging, however. I also found it to be overly scripted. It was a good refresher course that could use some actual writing practice opportunities.

By Sandeepthi G

May 6, 2020

It's a really great course to learn how to write a professional memo. The teaching is excellent. The only problem is with the tests. It would've been even better with more difficult questions.

Overall, wonderful experience!

By Namrata S

Apr 3, 2017

This course on Business Writing is very helpful. It has helped me to gain basic knowledge on Business writing. This has also made a good impact on my work and produce better results with positive outcomes.

By Yasaman D

Dec 8, 2019

The course is a great outline of business writing and more importantly communication in general. It would have been nice to have some additional tips on emails as they are a big part of communication.

By Alwaleed K M D

Aug 2, 2017

A very interesting course that has changed my way of writing in general to more concise, easy-to-read and organized texts. Where writing is all about Quality not Quantity.

Big thanks to Dr. McAndrew,

By Omkar T

Oct 16, 2017

This is very good specialization course on effective business writing got to know many insights on how important is the business writing is our day-to-day life.Enroll for it...worth learning

By Antonio L N

Aug 8, 2017

Very useful business writing techniques. I would have wanted the course to provide more specific advice on how to effectively translate complex ideas into clean, simple paragraphs.

By Casheera B

Jun 4, 2019

It was a great and interactive course. I love how the tutor made the concepts concise and comprehensive. I started the course a bit wary and intimidated but now I am confident.

By Sahanya V M

Oct 8, 2020

This course was really useful. Everyone should participate in this course to develop writing skills. you will need those skills, especially when you are working at a place.

By Akkari W

Sep 5, 2019

I liked the course, it contain a lot of usefull tips, and it makes me aware of mistakes that I used to do, it helped me to be more effective and to write more clearly.

By Jake Z

Aug 29, 2018

I really liked the course but after completing week three and the "honor" part of the course I received no peer reviews (I did not wait until the last day).

By Abegail T

Aug 25, 2019

Has definitely changed my presence in work environment. Has improved my confidence in writing . There has been a noticeable change in my work contribution

By Benjamin P

Dec 17, 2019

I found the course very clear, punctual and beneficial. Explanations and examples were interesting and provided great insight into better writing.

By Pavan S

Apr 3, 2020

A must do training for the business professional. It helped to highlight the lower focused errors from the emails, proposals and collateral.

By aditya

Feb 14, 2020

that was a best course i have came across coursera, truly very helpful for my writing skills. looking forward for more courses like this.