Back to Algorithms, Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithms, Part I by Princeton University

This course covers the essential information that every serious programmer needs to know about algorithms and data structures, with emphasis on applications and scientific performance analysis of Java implementations. Part I covers elementary data structures, sorting, and searching algorithms. Part II focuses on graph- and string-processing algorithms. All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

RM
May 31, 2017

This is a great class. I learned / re-learned a ton. The assignments were challenge and left a definite feel of accomplishment. The programming environment and automated grading system were excellent.

RP
Jun 10, 2017

Incredible learning experience. Every programmer in industry should take this course if only to dispel the idea that with the advent of cloud computing exponential algorithms can still ruin your day!

251 - 275 of 1,688 Reviews for Algorithms, Part I

By Maksym B

Oct 2, 2016

It was an amazing experience. Many thanks for such a good theoretical information and challenging practice. Every single time I had one question - can I do better. Knowledge obtained from this course is outstanding. Thank you again

By Cherubim

Apr 14, 2020

Brilliant course. Enrolling in this course was the best thing I have done as an undergrad. The teaching is brilliant, assignments were really well put together and overall a really fun, challenging and enlightening experience!

By Uzma R

Jun 4, 2018

The lectures and problem sets are well explained and well documented. The auto-grading is great and gives very good feedback in debugging one's assignment. The problem sets are challenging, and it feels great to complete them.

By Gitesh C

Aug 28, 2017

One of the few online courses that gives Java implementation as well with the algorithm. It is so good to learn from. Professor Sedgewick is just too good I must say ! Wish I could study Dynamic Programming from Dr Sedgewick !

By Mateusz K

Mar 17, 2019

Very good quality course with an option to explore more details about algorithms using online resources prepared by the authors. It's useful to spend time doing additional exercises as the assignments won't cover everything.

By Alexander

Sep 15, 2018

It was very cool and useful. I tried to finish this course last 4 years and finally I did it.

The tasks were very good and challenged and grader result just are the best which I have ever seen.

Thanks for such amazing course!

By Eugene B

Mar 31, 2020

The useful and a loyal course (thx for moving deadlines feature). I think that I obtained knowledge about most of the standard algorithms. And as a plus, you obtain a good mind map for searching solutions for complex tasks.

By Ti J B

Nov 6, 2018

Absolutely loved it. Robert has a great delivery, the curriculum was well thought out.

In college, my professor based his Data Structure and Algorithm course off Prof Sedgewick's own course, hence the slides feels familiar.

By Ning D

Nov 23, 2020

Strongly recommendation!

Great demonstration helping to understand algorithms.

Programming assignments are very helpful to put knowledge into practice. In FAQs and instructions you can find all information needed for PAs.

By Jakub P

May 23, 2020

This course really had me think a lot in depth about designing algorithms and most importantly understand how they work. Professor Sedgewick and Wayne did a really great job, even though this was not suited for beginners.

By Yuzhou L

Oct 5, 2016

This course is simply fantastic. The instructor's code is most elegant code I have ever seen and it was very illuminating to see how these fundamental algorithms are being implemented in such an elegant and efficient way.

By Danut P

Sep 6, 2016

I'm taking this for the second time to strengthen my knowledge. The course is one of the best I've taking online in the past few years. This is one of the courses I would pay money for because it is very valuable to me.

By Gregor S

Jan 30, 2021

Great course! Although the video lectures are quite old (and therefore the video and audio quality) the content was superb. Really nice and insightful exercises, leaving a feeling of accomplishment when finishing them.

By sky S

Jun 17, 2020

The only one Algorithms you should take if you never learn CS before. The tasks are hard, however, as a beginner, you can still learn how the greatest computer scientists think when they code. This sense helps a lot.

By Andi S R

Aug 22, 2019

What I like the most about this course is that it not only pays attention to the algorithm efficiency but also to the best coding practices in the industry. I highly recommend it even for professionals with experience.

By Denys O

Feb 6, 2017

This is perfect course. I highly recommend it to everyone who wants to get basic experience in data structures and algorithms. Thanks to professors Robert Sedgewick, professor Kevin Wayne and all who made it available.

By Ying C

This coure is amazing! Although the assignments are challenging, they are quite related to real-life problems. And there are Discussion Forums that everyone can post questions and answers which is quite useful for me!

By Prashant S

Mar 4, 2019

Loved this course I'd make the test cases available to the students, but other than that, no other improvements. I'd heartily recommend it to anyone interested in CS fundamentals or for folks that want a refresher.

By Bharath K B K

Mar 30, 2020

Professors Wayne and Sedgewick have prepared a wonderfull course. Though it was difficult to keep up with the pace, I am glad i did.

Many many thanks for this opportunity to learn these important concepts and usage.

By Rama N

Jan 25, 2018

Excellent course to understand the basics of Algorithms and data structures. The instructors have put a lot of effort into the contents and the assignments of this course. Thank you so much for the amazing lectures!

By Todd S

Oct 20, 2016

Great lectures, great programming assignments and grading, overall I really enjoyed this course. I tried to get through it 2 other times and finally had the time & patience to do it and I'm so glad I did. Thank you!

By Nguyen D L

Feb 4, 2021

The programming exercises were excellent practices for the theory from the lectures. Thank you so much Professor Sedgewick and Professor Wayne.

This course will be a great way to inspire my son on his CS education.

By Vikram B

Mar 30, 2021

Excellent course. Assignments are really tough and good learning experience. I thought I can code in Java until I saw the autograder output. Recommended for anyone who is serious about their programming skills.

By Новоселов И Е

May 27, 2018

Aside from a properly given material this course has a very thorough automated unit-testing tool when submitting your homework. I personally consider this as a huge advantage over the peer-review based courses.

By Tsimur A

Mar 11, 2021

Very detailed and easy to grasp explanations. Balanced in terms of difficulty practical tasks - not that hard to implement and at the same time showing you interesting applications of algorithms just learned.