Back to Algorithms, Part I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithms, Part I by Princeton University

This course covers the essential information that every serious programmer needs to know about algorithms and data structures, with emphasis on applications and scientific performance analysis of Java implementations. Part I covers elementary data structures, sorting, and searching algorithms. Part II focuses on graph- and string-processing algorithms. All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

RM
May 31, 2017

This is a great class. I learned / re-learned a ton. The assignments were challenge and left a definite feel of accomplishment. The programming environment and automated grading system were excellent.

RP
Jun 10, 2017

Incredible learning experience. Every programmer in industry should take this course if only to dispel the idea that with the advent of cloud computing exponential algorithms can still ruin your day!

101 - 125 of 1,689 Reviews for Algorithms, Part I

By Dávid S

Aug 19, 2017

The course is absolutely awesome! A lot of practical information about methods and about general thinking approaches that are essential for anyone who has to write efficient code for solving various problems.

I also want to highlight the very high quality slides and presentations, it is clear that the creators of the course made a lot of effort in it.

Finally, I really liked the programming assignments and the way they gave feedback about the correctness of them!

Thank you very much for your work!

By Oscar R

Aug 30, 2020

The course taught me how to think differently about algorithms and using the computational resources at my hand. It was a real challenge to keep up with the strict performance requirements of the assignments. Having only taken a few introductory programming courses, I was not accustomed to thinking about the performance of my programs, but only about they providing the correct result. I believe this course has trained me to really use computational tools to obtain effective and efficient results.

By 张佳乐

Mar 25, 2018

3 month later, i'am come back, and finally complete this well-known course.

If you just familiar with java, i strongly recommend you don't enroll this course, accomplish at least 80 problems in Leetcode before take the course, the explore -> learn -> tree category helps me understood recursion.

This course is a big challenge to me, but when i finish it, i not only learnt algorithm knowledge, but also debugging skills.(I understand why some people use "println" instead of "breakpoint")

Thank you...

By Hinanawi T

Sep 2, 2019

The course is easy to understand and its prerequisite is acceptable to high school students. Thanks to R.Sedgewick and other authors.Though English is not my first language, but the course formulated the algorithms and data structures by a comprehensive way that could be learnt by a people without much exps. BTW, the programming assignments have a complex online grader, finishing those assignments will greatly develop your ability of applying algorithms and debugging as well.

By Joshua M

Mar 6, 2018

Thorough introduction to the study and application of Algorithms. Assignments are challenging yet achievable. Entertaining and informative lectures.

For those considering taking the course; I had no previous experience with Java, and only high-school level Math (barely). You can get through. You may better appreciate some of the material with more Mathematical maturity, but it isn't absolutely necessary - don't let the maths discourage you, pick it up as you need it.

By Patrick M

Sep 1, 2020

I appreciate the learning by doing in this class through lab assignments. And the labs themselves were involved and relevant to the topics. I think I gained a grasp on introductory algorithms and data structures, through the lectures, practice, and labs. And I got comfortable with topics that previously intimidated me such as recursion. Additionally, I feel relatively comfortable with Java through this experience, a language that I haven't used before the course.

By Achim W

Oct 9, 2020

An outstanding course! The videos explain the data structures and algorithms very well. The animations help a lot to understand how they work. I especially like the real world examples that show what these algorithms and data structures can be used for (applications). The exercises are tough but doable and help for the material to sink in. Thank you very much, Robert Sedgewick and Kevin Wayne! One can really see how much effort you put into this course.

By Katarina C

Sep 19, 2020

This is a very good course for people who want to learn about basic algorithms (or refresh their knowledge) and interesting real-world/scientific applications. Good explanations and intuitive proofs. Assignments are good exercise and force you to consolidate what was introduced in lectures. It is in Java, but you can learn the required amount of Java in a day if you are somewhat familiar with object-oriented programming. Not for complete beginners.

By Dan P

Feb 18, 2018

Fantastic course. Great in-depth discussion of various algorithms, and the hands-on approach to implementation is a welcome change from pure theory classes (although you get plenty of that, too). The programming assignments were a real eye-opener as to the power of carefully designed algorithms.

The full potential of the course is best realized with the accompanying textbook and the huge amount of material available on the booksite (which is free).

By Bhavya N

Jan 25, 2018

I simply loved this course a lot. I tried to start and finish this atleast 5 times previously, but never was I able to go past 3-4th video. But then I decided to do it one time by whatever means possible. And when I did finish it, I started to love Data Structures and Algorithms. I am now having some knowledge about how we use DS n Algos to solve some of the most trivial problems. Thanks a lot to the creator of this course, You are a GOD to me.

By jojoy

Jan 17, 2021

Before I join in this course , I have know that it's a amazing algorithms course. As a freshmen, I have just learned Java language a few month ago, but I still finished all the tasks successfully(But I always begin to learn before deadline. Thus, I have stayed up a few nights until I have pass the task, it doesn't seem to be in vain at present. ) This course really benefit me a lot in my Algorithms Learning. And let's go to the Second Part!

By Yuanrui Z

Nov 16, 2018

For a non-English speaker, the professor introduced and analyzed details and design soul of each algorithm in a simple but accurate way. If 10% of my country's university can treat education in such a delicate attitude, great willings of a crowd of ambitious students would not be failed, I think.

In addition, the assignment is instructive and well-designed, which benefited me a lot whenever I was trying to work it out or after finished it.

By Fizuli V

Jan 11, 2021

Exceptionally good course with brilliantly designed weekly coursework. The automatic system that checks problem solutions is very detailed and provides feedback on time, space complexity and general bad practices. I would highly recommend to try at least one coursework, submit a solution and check feedback.

Questions could be quite challenging depending on the week (the first week was one of the most difficult) but it is worth solving.

By Manuel P

Nov 7, 2016

A great introduction to fundamental algorithms. This course is very well thought-out, the instructor always makes his points very clearly an convincingly: more than just algorithms, this course transmits a way of thinking about them. The material is very well polished, you can feel the instructor has been teaching this topic for so many years. In addition to all of this, the programming assignments' topic are generally quite exciting.

By Brian C

Dec 7, 2016

This course gives a very good overview of algorithms, justifying each new data structure or technique by examining the performance and technical problems that it is trying to solve, and explaining the meaning of the approach. It is a good idea to do a good bit of coding on your own, however, as the Assignments typically expect you to USE the data structures explained in the lectures from a static library rather than hand-coded.

By Visual J

Jun 22, 2017

I've not merely learnt lots of practical methods to solve the specific algorithm problems within this course, moreover, I've been able to manage to cope with other else algorithm problems, cuz, this course has taught me the through and thinking of using algorithm to solve a problem, including to understand an algorithm, and use it, and eventually get a solution to any specific problem.

Thanks to Professor Robert Sedgewicks

By chenxc

Jul 28, 2017

Recommend print the ppt then listen to the lecture cuz that would save your time. These homework impresses me deeply, and I did spend a lot of time completing them. Fortunately, I got a not-bad accomplishment at this class. I think everyone would like to have a solid foundation on algorithm as long as s/he study hard in this class. Thanks a lot for providing such a great open class! I love you professors! I love princeton!

By Rohit P

Apr 9, 2017

I took this course to refresh my Data Structures and Algorithms knowledge in order to prepare for technical interviews, and I'm glad I did. The lectures are great and the programming assignments are very well designed and have sufficient guidance. You really have to work on them. I would have liked more graded MCQs after lectures. This is also the first MOOC I've completed, and it gives me a great sense of accomplishment!

By Vadim P

May 16, 2020

Very interesting, I finally started to study seriously and learnt a lot, by using the correct Data Structures (and also learning them), learning sorts, I enjoyed a lot, and found very interesting exercises, I learnt the definition of Binary Heap, how better implement the Priority Queue Data Structure, Binary trees, and very fascinating the way Red Black Tree is implemented, and the technique used to maintain it balanced

By Kat

Oct 17, 2016

The grading system is very helpful for debugging

A little suggestion, personally i would not go to the forum unless i meet problems, but actually i find i may missed some great thinking for ignoring it. It would be better if there is a subscription feature like what's trending on the Forum to reminder learners to participate in the discussion.

And i like the every week's interview question, thank you for all your effort!

By Itsik S

Mar 28, 2018

A very interesting course, very well taught. The course is carried out in a very methodological way, builds the knowledge gradually step by step. The course is suitable both for those who know the material and want to refresh their knowledge and for those who learn this for the first time.

Finally, I would like to say that it was a privilege as much as it was enjoyable to learn from the great Prof. Robert Sedgewick !

By seshu c

Oct 27, 2019

One of the best course, I have taken so far. Learned a lot and its good to learn from computer scientists who can explain the trade offs between different data structures. To be frank, i am a newbie and i don't even have a good understanding of data structures when i started this course. But now, i know how the data structures work and how to use them them effectively.Except that the assignments are a bit tuff!!

By Henrique G

Jan 15, 2017

I really enjoyed this course. The material and videos were carefully made and very informative. The assignments were made that you can properly use the content learned from the lessons. The mentor/instructors are very knowledgeable. It goes without saying the instructors are reference in the Algorithms field.

It is worth saying the assignments may require you to research extra resources, e.g. Algorithms 4th book.

By Luoqi W

Dec 25, 2017

This course is extremely well-organized and covers the foundational algorithmic concepts in a meticulous fashion. Dr. Sedgewick makes these concepts accessible and easy to grasp. The fact that every concept covered is not just discussed on paper but realized in Java code also adds invaluable practical significance. Needless to say, this should be the course that every aspiring computer scientist should take.

By Mohamed E

Aug 6, 2020

A good introduction and review of fundamental concepts in algorithms and data structures. It makes sure that you get the hang of the data structures by making you implement these data structures/use variants of these data structures to solve implement specific applications in assignments. Of course, sometimes details arent explained deeply, but I quite enjoyed the course and would definitely recommend it.