Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

ND

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent teaching, be aware the meat of this course is in the interviews. If you read and watch them then the assignments are self-explanatory. The discussion boards were however a disappointment.

126 - 150 of 298 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Maria-Isabel C

Dec 06, 2017

I highly recommend this course for the beginner writer. Ms. Amy Bloom is a great writer and lecturer! I really enjoyed the way she guided the course and how she presented this subject. It was easy to follow and definitely encouraged me to continue preparing myself to become a writer. Thank you!

By Janet S

Jul 20, 2017

Excellent course. I didn't know what to expect when I started. I was very pleasantly surprised at both how challenging - and rewarding - I found it. Amy Bloom was brilliant. Thank you!

By Jack H

May 16, 2018

Really enjoyed this particular module since, not only do I KNOW a lot of characters, I AM one. This course made me become more aware of mannerisms, cultural and behavioral differences and similarities, plus the results and implications of how these characters inter-mesh with one another. Politics and households mirror one another and I am NEVER without a notebook and pencils since beginning this module. Now almost everyone I see gets captured in the notebook. INCLUDING THE INSTRUCTORS ! They are truly interesting personalities and I enjoyed their Shoptalk segments a lot. It is a great program.

May 15, 2017

Great course! Best quality writing class I have taken in years. The specialization is amazing. Thank you.

By Brian C

Aug 18, 2017

You know something is amiss with your writing when a friend suggests more character development and you have to ask them what that means. This course was enjoyable a great start.

By Elizabeth G

Jun 09, 2017

This was very helpful. More so, than plot. The feedback I received from my peers was better. I realized the power of POV. I also learned about looking at scenes

By Heather F R

Aug 13, 2016

Excellent course. Looking forward to starting the next one.

By Catherine C

May 14, 2018

I already submitted a request for financial aid for creative writing specialization I don't know why it's not enabling me to access the homeworks please help me :( The financial aid was approved for this specialization why is it that they only let me access the first one??? :-(

By Tina M

Jul 31, 2017

I learned so much, it's hard to pick just one thing. In conjunction with the other courses I feel as though my writing has evolved. I am excited to start a new project.

By Azlin

May 21, 2018

Very concise and great tips and notes from Amy Bloom. The interviews and guests conversations helped as well. I had a bad experience with peer review and reported it, but had not heard what consequences were brought against him. The "wtf" added on peer reviews should not be tolerated and that student should not be accepted for a period. This is a learning environment to encourage learning a craft, developed thoughts and understanding. It is not a place for vulgar, rude and negative peer reviews, and coming from someone who also is taking a course to learn the craft or subject. I hope this student is ultimately been kicked out and not accepted for several courses, whether he is a paying student or otherwise, otherwise, the integrity of Coursera and Wesleyan U is not one I would want to associate with, nor do I want anyone else to.

By Erinn J

Mar 16, 2018

Fantastic class that really helped me organize the way I create and develop characters.

By Holly M

May 30, 2018

The second assignment is a bit confusing, but check the forums and it's better described. I loved the other assignments. I wish there was a bit more "teaching" and less interviews with authors. I loved learning about dialogue and point of view.

By Dev V

Aug 08, 2016

A really thorough course into making characters. I personally think that I have leaped further, in the quality of my writing. Recommend it to anyone willing to spend time to work on their writing.

By Juanita J W

Oct 05, 2017

Enjoyed the material and content which was challenging. I end this course with r more pieces to develope.

By sebastien m

Sep 05, 2017

This course was great for stretching me into area I was looking to improve on. I knew from my writing I needed to get out of doing certain habit because it seemed monotonous to read. Amy did a great job of jarring me from my ruts. I think this has opened up my writing a bit more also. Thank you Amy.

By Carreen P

Nov 24, 2017

Amy Bloom is very clear in her thoughts and lucid in her explanations. A very well delivered series. Time well spent with great pleasure . Thank you for bringing this to us.

By Santiago C

Mar 31, 2016

It is a really good course, i've got some problems with the task, because it was a bit difficult for me as my native language is Spanish, but despite that, it went all good.

By David S

Jun 25, 2018

A wonderful set of lectures and exercises that truly advance one's understanding of character development. As in the previous class, "Plot," the subject matter is broken down to easily digested concepts, building on each other until the author is left with a renewed confidence in their ability to craft interesting, dynamic characters. And, the peer-review process is a hoot! What wonderful imagination our classmates exhibit! The reviews are pertinent as well and the moderators always available. Five Stars!

By Rochelle S

Aug 25, 2016

Just as good as the others in the Creative Writing specialization. Try them all!

By Ismael P M

Apr 14, 2016

vbcbbcbcbcvbcv

By Patricia R

May 16, 2017

excellent!

By Ibrahim N

Nov 24, 2016

I don't know how to thank Amy Bloom for this course. Her positive aura and the help of the other writers taught me a lof things about creative approaches for creating a character and all other stuff about character creating. Thank you very much. I'll continue to the specialization.

By Vimala

Sep 05, 2016

Just finished watching all the videos and it is excellent!

To say, 'well done' to any bit of good work is to take hold of the powers which have made the effort and strengthen them beyond our knowledge. Phillips Brooks

By Trish S

Nov 09, 2016

This course offers great ideas and tools on how to make a character more 3D. Helpful links are offered and the discussion boards are very well done.

By Lisa D

Jun 08, 2018

I think this is a phenomenal class that really helps you get into the head of your characters! I love all the amazing writers that are brought in through the Coursera community to teach and lecture! I really felt like I have pushed myself and learned something through taking these classes! Outstanding.