Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 10, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

N
Sep 25, 2020

The course was very well-structured and challenging. The instructor is very experienced and good, thus used relevant materials for this course, be it the guests, or the assignments, or the examples.

201 - 225 of 424 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Carol W

Nov 8, 2016

Great course, the instructor provided insights into what makes a character interesting.

By Ana S A C

Aug 13, 2016

Great material to rethink what you are working on and how to approach your characters

By Aileen

Aug 5, 2020

I enjoyed the exercises vermy much, they really stretched my thinking and helped me.

By Michelle D

Mar 31, 2017

Outstanding: Provides many tools to help the author better tell their story. Yeah

By Brian D

May 9, 2016

Very good course, gave a lot of insight on writing and specially about the character

By Clémence C

Feb 8, 2018

The teacher is so good, so clear, that everything sounds logical and easy to apply.

By Fernanda M

Jun 4, 2020

Amazing course. Very good insight on developing a character and bring them to life

By Lori B B (

Nov 29, 2017

This is a very good course for the beginning writer. I would recommend it highly!

By Rochelle S

Aug 24, 2016

Just as good as the others in the Creative Writing specialization. Try them all!

By Maria C C B

Sep 8, 2020

I love this course so much! It gave me inspiration to begin writing. Thank you!

By Reginald P R

May 16, 2020

Really enjoyed the course. Great instructor with in-depth material. I loved it.

By Sarah A

Nov 11, 2019

This is a good opportunity to practice various ways of developing a character.

By Shirley B

Nov 1, 2018

Excellent course - I have learned so much. Thank you to the awesome teachers

By Evita K

May 17, 2018

It's very insightful and beautiful. Helped me hear and become my characters.

By Alan F

Dec 27, 2017

Course addresses one of my fundamental weaknesses in writing. Helped a lot.

By Dr. M S K

Jun 10, 2020

The best and the simplest way in making the best author out of a person !!

By Goher I P

Nov 18, 2017

It was simply wonderful and awesome course. Amy is a fantastic instructor.

By Charlotte M R F

Sep 25, 2016

Wondeful information on creating characters and breathing life into them.

By SHERIN K T

Jul 20, 2020

i Loved the course and would recommend it to people who loves writing.

By José A C R

Apr 12, 2017

A good course with many recommendations on how to build a character.

By Janet W

Aug 15, 2016

I absolutely LOVE this course! Thank you so much for offering them.

By joseph d r

Aug 7, 2020

Great instructor. Very helpful conversations and guest interviews!

By Shubham H

Apr 30, 2020

The character understanding was interpreted in-depth. Great Course.

By Divesh D

May 2, 2020

Loved the course. Highly recommend this to all aspiring writers!

By Kelly C

Jul 19, 2016

simple easy but not that easy

Assignment tho it's good for you