Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

NF

Nov 25, 2019

The information I need to craft compelling characters. Wouldn't have learned this information just by reading books! Amy is an excellent instructor, and the work is challenging but not unreachable.

301 - 309 of 309 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Patrick L

May 02, 2016

I didn't think there were many solid pointers...and not much that was original coming from the instructor herself.

By Elaina J

Feb 02, 2018

The lessons do not seem to match the assignments. The instructions for the assignments are confusing.

By Madison T

Oct 05, 2016

Instructions were very unclear compared to the rest of the courses in the specialization.

By Melania D

Jul 25, 2019

I find that most of the time I don't know what is expected of me in the assignments

By Valerie S

Jan 15, 2019

I did not feel like I took anything away from this class, as evidenced by my rambling notes. There was very little actual theory delineated that could be applied in my writing and in the actual assignments. It was just a series of shop talks and read excerpts with very little "teaching." I definitely learned more from the first module in this certification. I would not recommend this professor's class and honestly think Coursera might want to read through some of the forum discussions and see I am not alone.

By jessica

Aug 09, 2016

The peer reviewed assignments are next to useless, as there is no oversight on them. I think there needs to be a basic comprehension assessment done first, before allowing fellow learners the ability to pass/fail students in the course.

By Hannah K

Apr 01, 2018

I did not enjoy the lecturer (Amy Bloom) at all. I felt her videos and lectures were not very beneficial, and her teaching style was lacking. The assignments were okay, but overall I do not feel like I learned much from thsi course.

By Lilian S

Sep 26, 2016

I wouldn't recommend this course to anyone who's paying. The assignments instructions are too vague to understand and there's no example given.

By Palash B

Aug 12, 2017

I never received reviews.