Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 10, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

N
Sep 25, 2020

The course was very well-structured and challenging. The instructor is very experienced and good, thus used relevant materials for this course, be it the guests, or the assignments, or the examples.

151 - 175 of 450 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Emily H

Mar 4, 2020

Really great video examples and writing prompts. Peer reviews have been insightful and I've enjoyed reading other's work. Great series so far!

By Abrar A A

Mar 20, 2018

I love the professor. Her tips and lessons and also the assignments.. They were quite challenging and took time to understand.. but I loved it

By Victoria

Dec 5, 2017

Great exercises that are very effective. A well-taught course with clever instruction designed to get you to the heart of writing character.

By Jael P

Jan 30, 2021

I really enjoyed this course. I learned a lot about how to put my characters into writing instead of letting them float around in my head.

By Mariana

Mar 14, 2016

Wonderful! Very informative. Filled with examples, literature and very interesting interviews! Thank you so much! You're a great teacher!

By Gina A

Feb 23, 2021

I truly enjoyed this course, Amy Bloom's way a teaching opened my eyes to a lot of new information, and the excercises were very useful.

By Yvette H

Oct 24, 2017

Really loved this course but the assignment instructions could be simplified. I cut and pasted them then added bullets to sort them out.

By Jaime E

Jun 6, 2020

I loved the assignments. They were the right amount of challenge and really enjoyed the instructor. Really helped me grow as a writer!

By Martha P G

Sep 29, 2020

Very helpful course. I am a beginning writer, and the information and the assignments showed me how to form and develop characters.

By James H

Dec 29, 2016

Excellent course. It regenerated my creativity which is what I hoped for and it cleared up some confusion I had about point of view.

By Rodrigo d c c

Jan 12, 2021

Very good content. Very well thought out. I like the divisions and the assignments are a real match for the whole table of content.

By Ramona K

Oct 29, 2018

This gave me a new perspective on Character and I believe it will help my characters become more true to life than they have been.

By Aruna N

May 7, 2018

Really useful materials and exercises, working through the question of characterisation in a systematic and thought-provoking way.

Nov 9, 2016

Is too bad that for those who can't pay can't be evaluated on the assignments. But the whole course is very good and interesting!

By Berta-Isabel C Á

May 23, 2018

The course is very interesting.

I learnt a lot in it.

It has got very interesting interviews and assignments.

Very useful for me!

By Ignaty S C

Mar 6, 2016

I am learning a lot, particularly that I can write up to several thousand words per day; not just words, but meaningful words.

By adriene j

Jan 31, 2018

Supremely challenging in a terrific way. Amy Bloom top notch. Student reviews tremendously helpful. Try it. You lose nothing!

By Mohd F

Oct 8, 2019

I learnt so much about the developing of characters and Week 4 about Point of view is incredible. Glad to take this course.

By Ashish N

Jun 15, 2020

The session was very indulging and lucid. I felt at very ease learning from Ms. Amy. Just an amazing experience overall.

By Varnika K

Jan 29, 2017

A pleasure to have learned under such accomplished writers and teachers. Thank you. A beautifully well conducted course.

By Greg Y

Feb 12, 2017

Really great advice on writing character. I have a toolkit I can use now that I think is quite powerful. Thanks Amy.

By Roy N

Jan 8, 2018

This course challenged me and my process for developing characters. It provided me new perspectives on how to do that.

By Sankara n

Aug 29, 2020

This course was teaching us how a charactar can be brought to life by letters by various magical techniques.Thank you

By Khemchand S

Jan 24, 2017

Learning a lot, improving my writing, enjoying the assignments, and meeting new people. What a wonderful experience.

By Marti J

Jul 21, 2020

I find the information very helpful, and the exercises illuminating. Thank you for making these courses available.