Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

LB

Nov 16, 2018

Great information about plot and scene structure. The information about revision was entirely new to me - thank you! The exercises were good and difficult in a good way that helped me hone my writing.

BM

Nov 05, 2019

The course was informative on how to build, structure and develop the plot of our own stories. It was also very helpful in guiding us through the editing process. A useful course for aspiring writers.

51 - 75 of 805 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

By Suyash G

Jun 01, 2020

This course is absolutely amazing. All you need as a pre-requisite is the interest in fiction writing. This is a very basic course that tells you so much about fiction writing. I was interested in writing fiction, and this course helped me a lot. The instructor is absolutely brilliant, and this course offers various key insights into the structure of fiction. Even if you are remotely interested in fiction writing, you should try out this course.

By Natalia G

Sep 28, 2017

Thank you. This was very helpful in getting me unstuck in the novel I am writing. There's still a lot for me to practice but this helped me massively! I hope I do get to finish and publish my novel. And when I do, I would love to thank you guys and Brando in my acknowledgments. This is a great course because plot is my ultimate weakness. This helped me understand the basics and helped me have a better concept for my novel. Thank you again!

By Akmaral

May 28, 2017

I really liked the course! It was exactly what I needed. All the topics are in place, mapping out all the white spots, feeling gaps with knowledge on how to draft your story, how to build rising action to finally end up with self-fullfilling denouement. The video lectures are compiled logically, bit by bit they help you through your own creative chaos and nail your story so that it contents intrigue, tension and empathy potential.

By Shyamsree L

Oct 08, 2019

As a Creative Writing blogger and aspiring writer keen to learn more about the craft, this course exceeded my expectations. I feel better equipped to draft my next story now that I have gained insight into the technique of developing a plot. Also, exchanging peer review has enabled me to assess any piece of writing by a published or an amateur writer with deeper understanding of what goes into effective storytelling.

By Rachana G

Jan 07, 2020

Wonderful course! It makes creative writing so much easier for beginners. The assignments were significant and well designed for the students to dive deeper into their thoughts and come up with original stories. I especially loved the chapters with five-act structure and copy editing. I even used this knowledge in my novel. I sincerely thank the professor Mr. Brando Skyhorse for making it so simple for the learners!

By Abhishek N

Nov 15, 2019

The course has helped me a lot in giving structure to my thoughts while putting them on paper. It is enlightening to understand how a narration can be interesting to a reader and to get to try the tested method by writers was a interesting experience. Mr. Brando Skyhorse is a great teacher, I love his examples which flowed with every explanation. In the end, the readers are intelligent, hence "show, don't tell".

By Michael S

Mar 26, 2018

This was a good primer for starting out with creative writing. I wish there was a better format for the peer grading of assignments. especially if someone needs to resubmit. Begging people to look at your work seems silly given that most of it is subjective. If people give a non passing review they should then get a notification to re-edit a reposted revision. Either way it was a stressful part of the course.

By Beckie M

Sep 14, 2017

This was a great start to the creative writing specialization! The videos only took up about 30 minutes per week and most of the time was focused on writing and doing peer reviews. That was good in the sense that it didn't take up too much of my time and felt very do-able, but I think the course could benefit from some more instruction or learning content (even if it's not required). The instructor was great!

By Tere F

Feb 10, 2016

The instructor really gives the nitty-gritty of how to write a plot that will intrigue readers. He explains what a plot is (and it may not be what you think! The assignment is much harder than it looks! Believe me, it took three days for me to get mine done, sign of a good assignment as I can typically write 250 words in a snap (this review for example!). If you want to write, this is a good beginning.

By Nicole F

Nov 11, 2019

Before taking this course, I had no idea how stories were structured. Brandon Skyhorse is a wonderful professor who comes off as professional and knowledgeable. The videos are interesting, and I love it when he interviews actual writers and draws on his own personal writing experience. I am actually writing pieces whereas before I had all these ideas but no knowledge of how to express them!

By Victoria F S

Nov 09, 2018

I have enjoyed this course very much. Now I feel confident that I can create a compelling plot in my stories. I also now understand what a scene is, which is very important. I can teach what I have learned, too. What is exciting is that I now feel energized to keep writing stories. Thank you so much for your approach, which I find caring and practical! Best to all writers/professors!

By Veronica M

Aug 23, 2019

i loved this course! i didn't get to take any creative writing courses in college unfortunately so this was a great introduction to the craft. i felt that even as an inexperienced fiction writer, the content was clear and easy to follow and, at the same time, challenging and invigorating. my passion for writing has only increased, and i'm looking forward to the rest of the specialization!

By ksl

Jun 08, 2016

I was not sure about this course at first, but I am so glad that I enrolled. Brando gives specific tips and ideas about how to write a story. He has made me realize that creative writing is not just about lofty ideas; writing can be improved and polished through approaching a story logically and methodically.

One of the best designed courses I have ever taken on Coursera. Thank you Brando!

By Lori B C

Jan 19, 2017

This course was excellent. Brando is an incredible teacher, passionate, engaging and knowledgable. I learned a tremendous amount about plotting it out from this class - in fact, one of the benefits I got is that some level of intimidation I had about building a plot was alleviated. The lectures, materials and exercises were all so useful and absolutely thought provoking. Thanks!

By Ricardo P

Jun 17, 2019

Well presented lectures by Brando Skyhorse and useful assignments with prompts to make you exercise the writing concepts laid out throughout the course. This is the first time that I have done a Coursera course and I am pleasantly surprised with the results. Thank you Brando, and thank you Coursera for allowing me to improve my creating writing skills from the comfort of my home.

By Joe M

Dec 08, 2018

Very well put together course. Gave me great insight on plot but especially editing and revision. I was pretty directionless when it came to revising my own work and the last week of this course was a excellent eye-opener. I have a way better idea how and what I should be changing instead of just re-writing everything a bunch of times. Looking forward to the next course!

By Nicolás S D

Realmente un curso muy interesante y dinámico. El tutor desarrolla muy bien los temas y el contenido es realmente provechoso. Las tareas son acorde al desarrollo de las lecciones y van generando un acumulado que permite reconocer el avance del estudiante en su escritura. Es un curso muy bien estructurado y el tutor está a la altura del mismo. Muy agradecido, saludos.

By Muhammad Z

May 14, 2020

It was an amazing course. I was almost zero in creative writing when I started this course, and, now, I got the last assignment reviewed by my colleagues, and they were surprised and loved it.

Sir Brando Skyhorse made things look so easy.

Another surprising fact, I joined this course by mistake, but, now, I am thinking of taking the next courses in this specialization.

By Federico B S

May 30, 2018

I liked this course a lot. It helped me get a better sense of the formal structure of narrative and what each part of a story is supposed to achieve. The exercises are great. The constraints the instructor set for them make them useful tools for grasping the concepts he explained during each module. Make sure you stick to the instructions and just try to have fun.

By Karsen

Oct 29, 2019

Lots of practical advice to consider for beginning writers. I did not value the editing parts as much as the other parts, especially since this is the first course in the specialization, but the analysis of plot construction was useful. I liked how Brando used Harry Potter as an example of structure because I know that series well (and probably most people do).

By Beth

Jun 20, 2016

I audited this course so I was locked out of submitting assignments; however, I would recommend this course to any creative writing beginner (like myself). The course was well organized and concise and the concepts were clear. It was easy to apply the concept to the assignments and I was surprised at what I was able to write as a result of auditing this course.

By David F

Sep 08, 2018

Very informative and helpful introduction to scene construction. I now enjoy watching TV and reading stories which involve the ABDCE structure and I ask myself questions based on the 21-point revision process. It adds a whole new dimension for enjoying stories which makes this course worthwhile even if you have no intention of ever writing anything yourself.

By Mihaela G

May 07, 2020

As a beginner to creative writing, the structure and the interviews the Professor used in this course helped me a lot with understanding. I could see myself improving my writing from one assignment to another. Also I became very aware of the writing structure when I am reading books written by well-known authors, which is a great way to learn further.

By Rida K

Apr 19, 2020

This creative writing course got me out of my comfort zone and made me realise that your weaknesses in writing can become strengthens if you work hard enough. The people who graded my assignments were very helpful and always left comments on not only how to improve but also what they liked about the stories, this was a great confidence booster.

By Maria-Isabel C

Dec 06, 2017

This was the first subject of the Creative Writing Course I took and I recommend it to anyone who is starting to write. After completing The Craft of Plot I was encouraged enough to continue with the other subjects of the specialization. Prof. Brando Skyhorse is clear and his teachings easy to follow and to understand. I really enjoyed it.