Back to Overcoming Dyslexia

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Overcoming Dyslexia by Yale University

Dyslexia is everywhere, touching so many children and adults, and while science has made extraordinary progress in understanding and clarifying the condition, this incredible powerful knowledge rarely reaches those who most need to know and would greatly benefit from it. Our goal is to change all this with the Coursera you are about to view, produced by Dr. Sally Shaywitz, the Audrey G. Ratner Professor in Learning Development, both the leading scientist studying dyslexia and the most devoted advocate for helping those who are dyslexic. The course addresses and answers just about all the questions you have: beginning with what is reading and what is dyslexia and sharing with you the most up-to-date 21st century federal definition of dyslexia. If you are dyslexic, you’ll come to learn you are not alone – dyslexia is very common affecting one out of five, that is, 20% of the population, including both boys and girls all over the world. The course addresses a major question we hear from so many parents and teachers– how do I know if my child may be dyslexic? What signs or symptoms should I be on the lookout for? And here’s another very important question we hear from so many parents and educators who are eager to do the best for their child – when should screening for dyslexia begin? What is the best method? What should I look for or ask about? A major source of worry for parents is their child’s slow reading- they ask will this prevent a happy future for the child. Yes, dyslexics are slow readers and here, in Coursera, you will come to understand the brain’s role in dyslexia, including slow reading. Great news to share – you will also be so delighted to learn that surrounding a dyslexic’s slow reading is a phenomenal powerful sea of strengths in big picture thinking and reasoning. Dyslexia is a true paradox: dyslexics may be slow readers but at the same time are incredibly fast thinkers! You can be assured, if you care about a child or someone who is dyslexic and have questions or concerns, you will find it addressed here in this course: everything important to know about and help you select the most effective interventions for a dyslexic child; how to go about choosing the best school, including potentially one that is specialized, for such a child, including what is most important to look for when visiting a potential school; the role of accommodations and how to select the best one; and common co-occurring conditions like ADHD and anxiety – their impact, how to recognize and treat. In the following lessons you will meet wonderful, incredibly insightful and highly successful dyslexics – including governors, cardiac surgeons, nationally renowned attorneys, basketball coaches, economists and dyslexic children and their wonderful families who will share their experiences and advice. Enjoy!...

JC

Jan 6, 2023

Amazing course and highly recommended. I really appreciated how thorough and well-explained each step was. The questions throughout the video and the quizzes at the end really helped me to focus.

JG

Jan 27, 2023

A deep insight in all areas affecting Dyslexic individuals. This book / course should be required reading for all professionals in education from k-college and adult educators.

1 - 25 of 33 Reviews for Overcoming Dyslexia

By Jonathan A N

Jan 13, 2023

There were parts of the course which seemed repetitive, it was nice to be able to take this course at my own pace from my home. As a dyslexic myself and working with students who are also dyslexic this course was both affirming and informative.

By Jennifer C

Jan 6, 2023

By Dori R

Dec 25, 2022

Amazing and informative! Great for anyone wanting to know about dyslexia and advocating for their child or others.

By john c

Jan 2, 2023

A professional course for anyone who is interested in Dyslexia.

By Mariam A

Dec 24, 2022

It's a great course and great content I'd love to recommend it to anyone but:

I gave this course 4 stars out of 5 because I expected to see

1) More deep information about symptoms of dyslexia in adults and how to deal with it.

2) More deep information about key strength of dyslexics.

By Judih W H

Jan 29, 2023

This is a marvelous course, dealing with every aspect of Dyslexia, what it is and how to recognize it from the earliest age, who might be at risk for being dyslexic, how to work with a small child and secure screening at kindergarten/first grade. And from there the evidence-based route to follow to help the dyslexic recognize the needs and how they may secure aids and accommodations. The stories of those who have overcome their reading disorder in order to fulfill their professional potential, and then how to deal with society to get the support required. The number of dyslexics in our society and how the majority are not finding the support and recognition they need. How the law now backs up Dyslexics to get the necessary accommodations to function at the level they are capable of. Educators, advocates, parents, friends and those with Dyslexia, take this course. Dr. Shaywitz, and her incredible Dr. family are providing an extraordinary service in providing awareness of how to overcome dyslexia.

By Kaiquan M

Jan 17, 2023

Good lectures and sharing by different speakers about

1. dyslexia

2. how people with dyslexia can succeed

3. what accommodations people with dyslexia need in school and taking tests

The in-video quizzes were too frequent for me and could have limited to appearing just all at one point in the video instead of having multiple in-video quizzes at multiple points in each video. Having just one point with all the in-video quizzes per video would really help people who are listening to the lecture while going about their day.

By Mary C L

Jan 18, 2023

As a grandmother of a dyslexic grandson, I took this class to learn more. Luckily, and thankfully, my daughter, his mom, is a kindergarten teacher and has been advocating most of his school career for him. She recently had him...Joey.... tested and he now has that all important diagnosis that will help in the rest of his middle school, high school and post high school years. She is teaching him to advocate for himself and to speak up when needed. She feeds his curiosity and interests. What a lucky young man!

By Judy G

Dec 25, 2022

This course is a phenomenal review of what dyslexia is & how to diagnose and treat it. I wish the Shaywitz screening tool was used in the school systems that I am/was involved with. Use of this instrument and appropriate interventions would have made a world of difference to the many youngsters I know who suffer with this disabling condition. It shouldn't be this way and it make me very sad and frustrated!!! Thank you Sally for doing this work for all these years !!

By Alex F

Jan 4, 2023

My nephew is dyslexic. This course has helped me understand him better and has also spurred me to find ways that I can help him progress both academically and in life. Thank you for bringing this course to Coursera. The school system here in Singapore is also not doing as much for Dyslexic students as they should be as well. Hopefully, they will take more positive actions in the near future.

By Andrew K K H

Jan 10, 2023

This is an excellent and enriching learning person with dyslexia. It helped me to understand the superpower of a person with dyslexia and a much more in-depth understanding of the proper techniques and requirements to harness the hidden talent and overcome these challenges into strength.

By Soledad M

Jan 29, 2023

The questions after each section are helpful. The presenter and the real life testimonies helped me connect to the materials. Having the text along with the spoken word was helpful to me since English s my second language. I am interested in more special education classes.

By Laura F

Feb 3, 2023

Information about Dyslexia was clearly presented. The explanations and testimonies made learning very insightful and enjoyable. I appreciated finally understanding my own dyslexia now as a senior adult who never was identified as such. Thank you.

By Laura C

Jan 15, 2023

Excellent explanations for people that want to learn the big picture and details of dyslexia. The Shaywitzes' work over decades including the CLS gives us the current evidence and pathways for all dyslexics to succeed.

By Jeanne G

Jan 28, 2023

By Ilya O

Dec 31, 2022

Phenomenal--one of the most eye-opening courses I've ever taken, both providing insight into my own reading difficulties and into teaching students with reading differences.

By Training G

Dec 28, 2022

You exceptionally well merit this congratulation for your diligent work and devotion. Congrats on your prosperity. I am glad for you. You have achieved a great deal.

By Kristel

Jan 14, 2023

This course taught me many things about dyslexia that I didn't know before. I found it to be comprehensive, informative, and both evidence- and compassion-based.

By Christine K

Jan 23, 2023

Excellent course to support the 2nd edition book. This is a resource that all teachers need in their hands. Thank you for the opportunity to take the course.

By Fatima S

Dec 15, 2022

There is a wealth of information here and things now make so much more sense looking back into my childhood. I recently discovered that Im dyslexic.

By Jane E

Jan 18, 2023

As a teacher of English as a foreign language, I found this course extremely interesting. I'm excited to apply the recommendations to my students.

By Dagmar G

Dec 26, 2022

Aprendi muito, ouvi falar sobre este diagnóstico, a dislexia, mas aqui me aprofundei muito. Com profissionais experientes e doutores no assunto.

By Kristine C

Jan 21, 2023

Great overview of dyslexia, the strategies to support dyslexic students and adults, and strengths of dyslexic people.

By Hannah F

Jan 24, 2023

I enjoyed this course very much. It was filled with a lot of useful information.

Hannah Fairbanks

By Karen D

Feb 5, 2023

Very informational and helpful to me as a primary teacher of second graders! Thank you! Karen