Back to Financial Accounting: Foundations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Financial Accounting: Foundations by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

In this course, you will learn foundations of financial accounting information. You will start your journey with a general overview of what financial accounting information is and the main financial statements. You will then learn how to code financial transactions in financial accounting language. In the meantime, you will learn about the most important concept in contemporary financial accounting: accrual accounting. You will then critically analyze how firms recognize revenues. Finally, you will finish the course with an analysis of accounting for short-term assets where you will go into detail on how firms account for accounts receivables and inventories. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to: • Understand main financial statements and the financial information they provide • Write a financial transaction in financial accounting language and understand how this impacts main financial statements • Understand how accrual accounting and fundamental accounting concepts work • Understand revenue recognition principles and how they impact main financial statements • Account for accounts receivables and inventories. This course is part of the iMBA offered by the University of Illinois, a flexible, fully-accredited online MBA at an incredibly competitive price. For more information, please see the Resource page in this course and onlinemba.illinois.edu....

AD
Sep 3, 2017

Though I have been through Intro Accounting some 3 or 4 times through different classes and seminars, I still found myself learning from this detailed and straight forward presentation of information.

YP
Jun 6, 2020

The modules were extremely informative and nothing less to say, Oktay sir's presentations were very easy to understand even for a person like me who has no prior knowledge about Financial Accounting.

76 - 100 of 788 Reviews for Financial Accounting: Foundations

By Messias U

Nov 11, 2017

I loved the first week. For the first time in three courses on Financial Accounting I understand the financial statements. The exposition Prof. Urcan offers is plain and straightforward. Accounting made easy. I said "made" because it is not. The Prof made it easy.

By Tushar T

Jul 5, 2020

It was a wonderful journey of 4 weeks with the course controller, Associate Professor OKtay Urcan. The way he had put up the course is just so easy for any student to grasp in. The course material is so interesting that everything is deeply engraved in m mind.

By ALEXANDRE J D S

Feb 24, 2021

The moment I got my certificate I remembered how good this course was. I want to thank, once again, everyone in particular to the Professor for his kindness and the didactic way that led him. The acquired knowledge will be put into practice in my subjects.

By Piyush S

Jan 24, 2021

I recommend the course for people looking to learn the financial basis. It would also help people from non-financial background to learn the terminologies and would empower them to function better in their interactions with their respective finance teams.

By Pranay M

Sep 24, 2018

Great course, specially for the people like me with no financial studies background. It covers from very basics and is mostly self-contained so you would not need any outside reading (though reading more from the recommended text-book doesn't hurt :-))

By THU T

Mar 15, 2020

This course is extremely interesting. You must take it. You will be convinced by its contents, cases, and the way of lecturing. I highly recommend this course for anyone who wants to build the career path in business, finance, and accounting!

By rohit r

Jan 16, 2017

A great course. I liked it a lot. Lot of effort has been put to make the course interesting and helpful in real life situations. Thank you coursera for the financial aid. Thank you professors and all the mentors associated with this course.

By Anita S

Jan 31, 2021

Financial Accounting: Foundations is the best Accounting course for beginners and the Professor covers every important aspect of financial accounting. I liked this course a lot and I have really benefited by this course. Thankyou Coursera.

By Jacky C

Jul 3, 2020

The presentation is phenomenal. Delivering the concepts are clear and concise. Definitely does a better job than my accounting 101 class I took in undergrad.

I still can't get over the presentation itself. It's super slick and professional.

By John C

Nov 3, 2020

Really enjoyed the class and would recommend the first year academics to accounting for anyone wishing to pursue in a valuable career! It puts academia environment to professional work environment with absolute confidence! Great class!

By Santiago A R S

Feb 3, 2021

I well-structured course for a student without any beginning knowledge in Financial Accounting. Besides, the most interesting part is a fair number of exercises that help you to understand in a complete way the topics in the course.

By Matteo N A

Feb 1, 2021

Very good introduction to accounting which makes heavy use of real life examples (e.g. reading balance sheets of real companies). If you want to dig deep, you'll have to read a book afterwards, but it's an excellent starting point!

By Neval

Aug 21, 2020

I have been always in trouble with financial concepts, this program provided me confidence in financial accountings for my business experience. Thank you very much for lesson order, I could be able to understand concepts easily.

By NIPUN D

Jul 26, 2020

As a beginner in the domain of finance, i found this course extremely useful. The course is very well designed with adequate supporting material and review assignments and Prof Oktay Urcan has excellently taught all the concepts.

By Anton A

Aug 3, 2020

This is a very interesting course in which all the material is presented in a simple and understandable language with the necessary examples. This course should be taken by all who wants to understand accounting and reporting.

By Nigar M

Dec 16, 2020

I want to thank you for organizing this course. Special thanks to Professor Oktay Urcan for the excellent and patient explanation of all topics. Thanks to you, I repeated the forgotten and also learned a lot of new things.

By S. A

Dec 14, 2020

A very good course and has a good information and very use full for business students i hope to keep learning in coursera ,and i would like to thank all the teachers and universities for providing me this opportunity

By RINI V

Oct 2, 2020

most helpful in understanding the fundamentals. made me capable of understanding and preparing financial statements. also example from real time firms gave us better idea about how to interpret financial statements.

By Dhinesh A D

Jul 4, 2020

This course gives clear insight on how to read annual reports of a company. Concepts were precisely explained. Highly suggested course. People even from non-finance backgrounds also be able to grasp the concepts.

By José M J J

Feb 14, 2021

Me alegra mucho estar llevando este programa, he aprendido demasiado en un mes y me motiva a estudiar mas, la conexión del profesor con su clase es increíble, se ve el desempeño de excelencia en su enseñanza

By Hardik J

May 9, 2020

The course is perfect to understand the basic without any prior knowledge. The extra exercises are really helpful to understand the concepts better. Prof. Oktay Urcan is an incredible teacher and motivator.

By Vinoth S

Apr 13, 2020

Very useful course to understand Financial Accounting Foundations. Course anchor has very clearly teaches us the concepts with simple examples. Very useful course to understand fundamentals of Accounting.

By Jerry D

Sep 20, 2019

Great course! Explanation is clear, and lots of real-world examples to make the course material more relatable. I would highly recommend this course to anyone seeking a basic understanding of Accounting.

By Federico C

Aug 9, 2020

Great course! Clearness and simplicity at explaining concepts, lots of practice excercise and great examples. I really enjoyed it and I've also learned some key value concepts from accountings.

By Balgabek M

Aug 5, 2020

Thank you very much for the University of Illinois and Prof. Oktay. The best explanation ever! Interesting cases and problems! This course helped me to create a strong foundation in accounting.