Back to Introduction to Data Analytics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Data Analytics by IBM

This course presents a gentle introduction into the concepts of data analysis, the role of a Data Analyst, and the tools that are used to perform daily functions. You will gain an understanding of the data ecosystem and the fundamentals of data analysis, such as data gathering or data mining. You will then learn the soft skills that are required to effectively communicate your data to stakeholders, and how mastering these skills can give you the option to become a data driven decision maker. This course will help you to differentiate between the roles of a Data Analyst, Data Scientist, and Data Engineer. You will learn the responsibilities of a Data Analyst and exactly what data analysis entails. You will be able to summarize the data ecosystem, such as databases and data warehouses. You will then uncover the major vendors within the data ecosystem and explore the various tools on-premise and in the cloud. Continue this exciting journey and discover Big Data platforms such as Hadoop, Hive, and Spark. By the end of this course you will be able to visualize the daily life of a Data Analyst, understand the different career paths that are available for data analytics, and identify the many resources available for mastering this profession. Throughout this course you will learn the key aspects to data analysis. You will begin to explore the fundamentals of gathering data, and learning how to identify your data sources. You will then learn how to clean, analyze, and share your data with the use of visualizations and dashboard tools. This all comes together in the final project where it will test your knowledge of the course material, explore what it means to be a Data Analyst, and provide a real-world scenario of data analysis. This course does not require any prior data analysis, spreadsheet, or computer science experience. All you need to get started is basic computer literacy, high school level math, and access to a modern web browser such as Chrome or Firefox....

BS
Oct 21, 2020

A great Introductory course by IBM and Coursera to start your career in Data analytics. Learned a lot from this course like what are the skills that are needed in order to become a good data analyst.

MB
Nov 15, 2020

Course is really helped me understand the concept of Data Analytics. The viewer's points explained What, Why, and how Data Analytics. And the final assignment gives an exact idea about Data analysis.

1 - 25 of 215 Reviews for Introduction to Data Analytics

By Shell L

Nov 12, 2020

Very informative course! I hope there could be more real-world examples in this course, which can make the concepts much easier to understand. When different types of softwares are mentioned, it would also be helpful to show demos rather than only explaining their pros and cons.

By Usama T

Nov 3, 2020

Best material so far, I found, for someone who is looking to pursue/transition a career in Data-Driven roles. This will give you a holistic view of the Data-Driven world as a beginner.

By bhupender s

Oct 22, 2020

By christine p

Oct 3, 2020

This course is very informative and easy to understand especially for learners who has no formal background with I.T. or computer. I enjoyed this course very much! Highly-recommended!

By Samsonova A

Nov 4, 2020

I took five courses in the Data Analyst specialization by IBM, all of which I liked very much, they were really useful. This one i decided to take coz i wanted to get a specialization certificate. From this course I expected some general idea of what I would do in the future. The first week gives this idea, motivates a student and overall is very interesting! But the rest... Honestly, this is the most boring course I've ever taken on Coursera. Useful information is contained in highlights and videos with opinions, everything else can be cut 2-3 times. But all in all i liked it. Students will be even more excited about what is coming next :)

By WADDAH R A

Oct 25, 2020

very useful information,it gave me a foundational base in data analysis and analytics and now I have a clear overview of this career and the possible options

By Louie D

Sep 29, 2020

It is a very informative course for a beginner and anyone who want to look into a career transition to data analytics.

By Wong M W

Oct 8, 2020

This course help me to understand what is data analytics and its job functions... great course

By Talitha F R

Sep 28, 2020

It's a great course for me as a beginner that gives me good understanding about data analytics

By James N

Sep 21, 2020

Fantastic introduction.

-1 star for my peer-graded experience. I took my time to write out well though out answers instead of copy-pasting from the guide, like the individual I graded (answers in my own words should have been OK). Whoever peer-graded me either did not bother to read my answers or the instructions where it said your own words are OK and rendered me 1/7 points. I found this infuriating. If my Coursera experience continues like this I will likely not recommend or return.

By olagunju O k

Sep 18, 2020

highly organised and impactful, thank you for giving me the lift in my career

By Uday K M

Sep 20, 2020

Very detailed Intro of all the contents.

By Emily C

Dec 20, 2020

This course is a lot of lectures and quizzes with just one hands-on assignment. This makes sense because the purpose of the course was to give an overview of data analytics. I'm hoping the next courses in the series will be more hands-on.

The instructors should consider revising or eliminating the section about women in data analytics in week 5. It was shocking to hear women in the field say that their male coworkers are visibly disappointed to find themselves working alongside women. To have that followed by advice that women learn to speak up and not "use their gender as a crutch" was extremely disappointing. It left me with the impression that the authors of this course are trying to actively keep women out of the profession. I'm sure that wasn't the intention, but the authors need to think about what purpose that video is serving.

By Pulkeet G

Nov 18, 2020

Great course to gain an overview of the Data professional domain and various opportunities in it. Starts from the very basic of what the role of a Data Analyst is and goes in reasonable depths of the various roles and responsibilities of being a Data Analyst.

Concepts have been wonderfully presented with examples on every topic and viewpoints by Industry experts and professionals are included at the end of every concept to give better insights on its relevance and importance.

By Peter O

Oct 6, 2020

I was a tad bit worried that this class would be too similar to the SQL for Data Analytics Certificate I had just completed on EdX because it was also through IBM Developer Program and even had the same instruction. I felt that, SQL for Data Analytics, class lacked a lot of supplemental information required to make it a great class. Introduction to Data Analytics was not missing everything. It was a very thorough course that cemented my desire to become a data professional.

By Pamela F

Dec 11, 2020

The class gave me a great overview of the foundations that data analysis is built upon - I learned about the process of working with data from source identification through visualization/reporting, the various tools and methods that can be used through the process and also the different possibilities and roles in data analysts. I feel that I have a very good footing from this course to move forward into learning the competencies needed to become a data analyst.

By Antoine D

Dec 5, 2020

Might seem as a beginner/novice course, but even for people already doing some sort of data analysis in specific domains, the course gives a good overview of all the bricks, tools and concepts making the Data Analytics field. Even seasoned analyst will find the refreshment (or learning) useful to get a clearer and more concise picture of where they stand, where they want to go and how.

By Asif K

Dec 17, 2020

This course has been thought very cleverly and in a very orderly manner. The professional Data Analysts perspective shown in the course was very helpful in understanding the insights of the modern industries and requirements of the Data Analyst. I would strongly recommend this course to the beginners in the field of Data Analytics, that its a good way to step in to Data Analytics.

By Hemendra G

Dec 30, 2020

Excellent course. it gives a detailed info about data analytics field, so you can decide if data is something you want to learn more.

My only suggestion for Cousera team will be, it would be great if peer review of assignment grades can be explained. By that i mean if you want more info about your grades or do not agree with the grades, Coursera can do a check.

By John P S

Dec 18, 2020

I am satisfied with the content of this introductory course. It presented in detail the different concepts and terminologies that a Data Analysis professional needs to be aware of in the step by step operations of the field. The thorough contents of the module assured me of the confidence I need in doing the tasks essential for the Data Analysis field.

By Georges L

Oct 20, 2020

Excellent course, I work in IT for a long time with experience in infrastructure, programming and tools and this course helped me connect the dots on data analytics. It presented in a clear way what is Data Analytics, how it is done, what are the careers and the main software and tools used. Very good for those planning a career change.

By Arnold S M

Dec 9, 2020

It lets you understand the significance of Data and how it is used in almost all sectors. It might not always need technical skills but also involves non-technical skills of storytelling and communicating with data. Overall a must study course to anyone who is in touch with data in one form or the other in order to brush their basics.

By Michelle X

Dec 20, 2020

This course gave a great background of data analytics and the professional landscape. The advice and viewpoints provided by actual data professionals in different industries was also very insightful. Overall, this was a great introductory course to begin the learning journey for aspiring data analysis professionals such as myself.

By Koliswa K

Nov 15, 2020

Thank you the course was very insightful. I've gain a valuable skills and knowledge that will enable me to do my monitoring and evaluation duties with improved confidence. I know it is still a long way still to go for me but I regard this as a solid foundation.

Thank you for sponsoring the course. Much appreciated!

By Bongurala G

Nov 8, 2020

Super course by the authorities, it helps for a layman to understand the concepts very easily. The design of the course is very interactive and a person without any knowledge can understand and execute the program effectively. One of the best course, it improved my understanding of data analytics to take further.