Back to Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software by Duke University

Learn to code in Java and improve your programming and problem-solving skills. You will learn to design algorithms as well as develop and debug programs. Using custom open-source classes, you will write programs that access and transform images, websites, and other types of data. At the end of the course you will build a program that determines the popularity of different baby names in the US over time by analyzing comma separated value (CSV) files. After completing this course you will be able to: 1. Edit, compile, and run a Java program; 2. Use conditionals and loops in a Java program; 3. Use Java API documentation in writing programs. 4. Debug a Java program using the scientific method; 5. Write a Java method to solve a specific problem; 6. Develop a set of test cases as part of developing a program; 7. Create a class with multiple methods that work together to solve a problem; and 8. Use divide-and-conquer design techniques for a program that uses multiple methods....

FA
Oct 7, 2017

Excellent explanations and amount of course work for practice, the tests made good use of the examples and work given, I am satisfied with what I learned in this course and see it's real world usage.

VM
Oct 15, 2019

This is an Awesome Course . The best thing About this Course is that It has weekly quizzes and Assignments as well as Practice Quizzes for particular Topics which helps in learning it more easily .

101 - 125 of 1,178 Reviews for Java Programming: Solving Problems with Software

By Ritesh K

Jun 7, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. Week 2 was the most onerous week, and there were moments that I felt I would not be able to complete this in a timely manner. It would help to know which week is the most arduous so one can pace themselves better. Great material though, and look forward to more!

By Georgijs N

Sep 1, 2020

Good course, really liked it. It gives you a good understanding of Java. Almost all assignments questions are practice exercises which is very good and they are interesting to do. I have used Visual Studio Code instead of BlueJ so it took some effort to make everything work as it should.

By MADHUSUDHAN D

May 26, 2019

it could not be more great!!!. it totally wonderful how they teach things in simpler forum and they make you enough capable to solve all assignments on your own. forum is so useful during throughout this course. every query of yours get solve there. Simply amazed thnku so much coursera.

By Hariharan K

Apr 22, 2020

Excellent teachers who teach each and every concept in a easy to understand matter. The practice challenges and quizzes were prepared in such a manner that the candidate's understanding is tested. I would highly recommend this course for both beginners and intermediate learners.

By Mohamed E G

Sep 11, 2016

this is the best course i have ever took on programming, it's prepare students to solve problems using any programming language.

thanks for the professors at duke for crafting this course, great tutorials, quizzes

it's really better than the first course in this specialization

By Ying B

Dec 7, 2018

I love this subject because it is all about practice!! It led me in steady steps to build programs, algorithms and small projects from scratch. By making mistakes in these real problems, I learned faster than before when I relied on simply reading books about Java by myself.

By Anant S

May 22, 2020

For anyone who wants to be a software engineer. This is the first step or course one should take. Good Course with excellent professors and learning material. The assignments were easy but very helpful in understanding how computer code helps in solving real world problems.

By Iman R M

Aug 29, 2017

The course get you further to understand programming concepts. It was well organized and programming assignments were very beneficial to make you get the explained ideas. It's suitable for someone wants to learn programming concepts even with previous coding experience.

By Aiswarya V

Jul 11, 2019

I have started with basics of java programming but now i have gained more skills and get used to work with csv files , image files and learned using resource classes.. I strongly recommend this course to people who are willing to learn applications of java programming.

By Adam A

Apr 15, 2020

I think this was a great class. All the instructors were great, and the code was presented clearly. I like how the code the instructors wrote was written in real time, and it was helpful when they made mistakes so as the student, I can see what were common errors.

By Camille C

Sep 23, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. Everything is well explained and there are plenty of exercises to practice as you go along. Personally, it made me work a little every day, which allowed me to practice Java and learn more easily. Thanks to the Duke University team.

By Nathan T

Dec 21, 2018

This was my first foray into Java and made for a hard start, but the feeling of competence I now possess in the language made it all worth while. The only thing to know beforehand is that you will have to rely mostly on peer mentoring when stuck with a problem.

By John O O

Nov 2, 2018

A lot of exersing in this course! Recommended for those who want to achieve a better coding experience with Java... It also gives the opportunity to enhance computational thinking, discover best coding practices, useful and outstanding libraries and mucho more!

By Yiran W

Oct 26, 2017

This course is wonderful for building familiarity with Java programming. It is a quite difficult class relatively to how much time I expected to put into it. Most of the exercises that marked "10 min" took me close to 10 hours. So be ready for some frustration.

By Saransh K

This course helps me a lot in understanding basic concepts like Java String Class. Through this course I learn how to debug a program, how can we reuse a piece of code, Algorithm Design, Seven Steps to solve a Problem which helps me a lot in solving problems.

By Çağrı K

Feb 19, 2020

The videos were very efficient and they were well-organized. The methods were presented easily and understandably. I learned many things from the duke library and the reading parts. Thanks a lot for the course and the opportunities which this course provided.

By MOHAMED A K J

Jul 23, 2020

Programming Exercise problems gives real time coding experience. Hats off to the instructors for designing the programming exercise problems which gives more insight into deep coding practice. I strongly recommend this course for Java Programming learners

By Paterne I

Apr 20, 2020

This is a great introductory class to Java Programming. There are a lot of exercises to familiarize with programming concepts and algorithms which is very helpful. The first week, however, can be very challenging since most concepts and resources are new.

By Joseph D P C

Jul 26, 2017

This course has minimized my learning curve to learn the skills that I needed in my job. It has taught me to also be flexible in order to complete tasks to be undertaken. As well as find workarounds to resolve issues/roadblocks faced in tackling tasks.

By Qing O

Aug 2, 2016

Very useful but a bit challenging course. I used to know nothing about programming by java. As a starter, I chose this course and it helped me efficiently learn java from nothing to have a solid and basic structure of programming. I have enjoyed a lot.

By Jimut B P

Jun 27, 2016

This course is fantastically created for excelling your concepts in Java. The faculties are worthy of praise.Thank you Rodgers, Owen, Hilton and Robert for creating one of the best courses in coursera and teaching us amazing stuffs in java programming.

By Kevin P

Jul 12, 2020

This series of courses are perfect for whose are learning and starting from zero. If you have some knowledge, maybe they are a bit slow for you but still you can remember somethings. The exercises are interesting and the explanation are pretty good.

By David W

Feb 23, 2020

I would have liked to see how to do proper testing, e.g, JUnit, but I'll just assume that'll be covered in a later course. Also, there was no use of recursion and no data structures. Otherwise, good instruction and interesting assignments/quizes.

By Vignesh V

Jul 29, 2018

Excellent course content the assignments were well designed to help me learn a lot. There could have been additional materials to help me with assignment towards the end but still I was able to breeze through the course in a short span of a week.

By Petrova E V

Apr 13, 2018

Each element is thoroughly worked out, there is a conceived semantics of the user's actions. Tooltips and popups make it easy for the user to interact with the program. Multimedia interface meets the needs and interests of the user of the site.