Back to Chinese for Beginners

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chinese for Beginners by Peking University

Sep 17, 2016

Thanks for this course. I like it and this language really so necessary for me and my job. My company in New Zealand - ESKA Ltd (www.eskaltd.co.nz, eskaltd.com) and we are work with aliens from China.

EE

Mar 02, 2016

This course is excellent. It gives thorough introduction into language without going into too much unnecessary details. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to start learning Chinese from scratch.

1301 - 1325 of 1,366 Reviews for Chinese for Beginners

By eileen r

Sep 24, 2016

I could not finish this course, although I admire the teacher for preparing this difficult material for English speakers. I have studied several Romance and one Semitic language but I was unable to understand the lectures here. I did pass the first few quizzes but I did not feel that I knew what I was doing. I really am motivated to learn some Chinese because it is like a 2nd or at least 3rd language in my city and very much a 1st or 2nd language in my neighborhood. But I needed something a little more tangible with which to get started . I am sure this says more about my inability than the teacher's ability. I know I am not explaining myself well; I simply mean that to learn a language in which the alphabet is different and the meanings are based on emphasis rather than actual words, requires, I think, perhaps a bit more anchoring for the complete novice. For example, i wish we could have learned some simple conversational phrases, early on, just to get started, without worrying right away about all the sounds. Then once we can do that, we could get a bit more technical. Also, it would be helpful to be referred to a relevant text book. However, thank you for the effort. I hope Coursera will offer more languages since I could not find any other languages in the list.

By Araditta S

Oct 21, 2018

The teacher was remarkable. She was slow enough giving the student enough time to repeat after her. She made it very interactive and the tasks she put forward at the end of every section were helpful However, after a point they seemed redundant and too easy. They should be made a little tougher and challenging. Furthermore the passing cut off should be a little higher as it is too low. The lessons are spaced too far from each other and stretches over a very long period of time. They should be more compact so all things learnt and retained more effectively and instantly. Nonetheless, the teacher is able to teach Chinese very well for beginners, giving the perfect amount of coursework and relevant information that gives them access to the language. She has endowed the right skills for communication and has a very positive attitude with a smiley face that lifts the spirit of all people wishing to learn Chinese that excites their interest in the beautiful language.

By Woochul C

Sep 17, 2015

It is quite good course for beginners those are Latin-Language-speaking people. You don't need to learn a chinese characters. So, it is very simple.

But, I think that these lectures lacks logiccal explanation. Even in beginning, the logical sturucte is undoubtedly important for further learning.

And, Quiz are really easy. So, you can finish this course even in a day if you have a sufficient time. I do not think that this course will make someone really spaek Chinee in China. But, this should be recommended for only those are interested in Chinese and do not have a plan to go to china.

By Makary M

Oct 03, 2018

I have gone through a beginner course before, so for me it was a refresher and an additional practice, although I have learned some new things here and there. I like the content of it and a stress on the conversation. The tests were a little too easy, I'd like them to be more engaging and challenging. Also I was also a bit disappointed in the absence of characters, because I like to at least look at them when I learn a new word, so that I can distinguish them from other characters that sound the same. Other than that it was pretty neat, wasn't a waste of time

By Fabian W

Sep 07, 2015

This is a very good course to learn some basic expressions and, most of all, get a good first grasp of Chinese pronunciation. However I found the course structure quite repetitive over the seven weeks: Every other module is structured in the same way: "Which fruit do you like? Apple, banana, orange...", then the week after it's "Which sport do you like? Basketball, cycling, running". For a seven-week course this was not challenging enough. But it's a good start.

By Alan A

May 02, 2016

This course was effective in testing what was learned and in testing simple, useful expressions, words, and sentences. However, I would have liked to learn Chinese characters along with the pinyin, as in China reading the characters is just as important as speaking. Also, I believe the quizzes were a bit too simple, there should have been more multiple choice answers to chose from, more questions in general, and even some pronunciation practice.

By Patricia V

Nov 14, 2018

I learned a lot of vocabulary but felt that there wasn't enough repetitive exercises. Also, no characters were used to learn. I understand it was meant for beginners. I did learn something but I felt the format could have been enhanced with more challenging exercises. Even the parts we were to read didn't have translations on them. I think this course needs more revision. I did enjoy the teacher. She seemed patient and spoke slowly. Thank you.

By Edward B M

Dec 29, 2015

A good introduction, but it would be nice to learn a little more about written Chinese and some basic grammar. Also, like all on-line courses, this one tests how good the student is at listening, but not how good they are at speaking. You can get high marks but still be unable to utter a single word or read any Kanji characters.

By Ivan A

Jul 22, 2019

It gives good vocabulary, but i don't think it is made on a right order for learning.

When you don't know anything about a lenguage, it is good to start learning verbs, nouns, pronouns, to be verb, vocabulary, etc... This course starts straight away with expressions that are hard to remember.

By Karla C

Sep 01, 2015

It's a great course! The only thing I did not fully like was the we could not learn any of the characters. I guess this course helped to develop the tones and the recognition of them, but, I think that a little shape in the characters and how each sound could improve this course a lot.

By Manuel J

Aug 09, 2017

A great course that teaches you all you need to know for your daily life in China. Although the teacher did a good job at giving many example sentences, the lectures itself were often of the same structure and a bit monotonous.

By Ángeles L

Mar 27, 2016

For me this kind of teaching is not very useful. I will want to learn more abou grammar so I can make sentences with sense alone. And of course more of phonetics. The teacher was great, she speaks very clear and explain well

By Cristina C F

Oct 29, 2017

Es bueno y básico, sin embargo falta más motivación para aprender los conceptos, que son difíciles. los subtítulos en español a veces no tenían concordancia con lo que decía la profesora (malos subtítulos en español)

By Ivan R M

Aug 18, 2015

I'd like to know more day-to-day information to keep a conversation, I like how it started, but some instructions were not clear. And I'd like to see the characters to start learning how some words are written.

By Brian J

Aug 19, 2015

I think the quizzes could've been higher quality. Many of the images used in the quizzes were very confusing. Also, i think more character recognition instead of focus on pin yin would've been more beneficial

By Majdoleen R

Oct 14, 2018

It's easy and great for people who wants to learn how to speak rather than read or write. It would've been preferable if they provided longer videos and words written in the Chinese character.

By Hubert B

Sep 11, 2015

An easy course, though I disliked the lack of Chinese characters (only pinyin - the transcription) and lack of grammar rules. I recommend it only for beginners who know nothing of Chinese.

By Rishabh K

Oct 12, 2018

Good only for familiarity with language but some what lacks making a base for further studies. Nevertheless I really enjoyed this course and it covers basic conversations in a nice way.

By Adrian C

Sep 22, 2015

Focuses on pronunciation and basic pinyin. I think this might be a difficult course to start with, although the quizes themselves are very easy. Vocabulary is very lightly covered.

By Aravind A

Nov 28, 2015

The course only contains a basic introduction to chineese. You need further sessions to learn a language completely and to have any significant benifit from the effort put in.

By Ren A

Aug 20, 2015

For the amount of money one is paying for this product, one would at least expect teacher-student interaction. The tests are too easy, one can't learn properly from them.

By Sara G C

Apr 22, 2019

Es bastante difícil para quien no tiene ninguna base de chino, pero no esta nada mal, lo único que tienes que buscar mas herramientas para sacarle partido al curso.

By YURI D L P

Feb 13, 2016

The teacher spoke very clearly, but the transcripts of each lecture should have included the Pinyin transcriptions. Without them,they were no help.

By Jason T

Aug 17, 2015

Learning some of the radicals and simple words would make this course much more valuable. It already is very useful, why not do better? :)

By Corinne D G

Mar 07, 2016

I would give it a five-star but at the beginning it was confusing how to access certain parts, there were no instructions on ho