Back to Music Business Foundations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Music Business Foundations by Berklee College of Music

This course has been developed to provide students with the latest instruction on the best way for creators, consumers, and facilitators to navigate the resurgence of one of the world’s most exciting industries: the music business. Three things are clear about today’s music industry: The consumption of music is expanding at the greatest rate in history and from the most portals ever imagined, the cost of producing music is decreasing, and the number of artists creating and seeking to expose their work and develop careers through the Internet has increased dramatically. Whether you’re a music creator, consumer, or facilitator of this process, you’ll want to understand the history, underpinnings, and basics of the music business. Course author John Kellogg—administrator, educator, entertainment lawyer, performer, and radio and television personality—offers students the opportunity to learn the fundamental principles of the developing new music business, for now and into the future. What you'll learn: -- The basic history of the music industry and today's business trends -- How recording agreements are formulated -- The basics of copyright law as it pertains to the music business -- The role of agents, managers, attorneys, and specific business entities...

BD
Oct 22, 2017

This course was very useful and important to me, I plan on venturing in the music world very soon and knowing/ equipping myself with all of these will come in pretty handy for me. Thank you immensely.

DK
Feb 21, 2016

I advise this great course to everybody who wants to learn more about music industry in general, music business principles and tricks, including all types of agreements and principal actors.

101 - 125 of 494 Reviews for Music Business Foundations

By Elio A

Nov 6, 2020

Such an amazing course and an amazing instructor, now we definitely have a clearer vision on what's happening in the industry and where we can put our talent to work.

By Aichelle S W

Aug 22, 2020

This course was very informative, the clarification of the Manager's roles was spot on for me. I'm definitely going to share this course with the artist I know.

By RUTH W R

Nov 27, 2020

Brilliant Course. It is indeed worthwhile and equips one with knowledge on various aspects of the music business.

Mr. Kellog is also a great instructor/ teacher.

By Javier R

Jan 25, 2020

This is definitely a great course and totally recommended for anyone who wants to get into anyhing related with music business, the history, the basics and more

By Alberto M D

Apr 3, 2020

I already finished this course and I think it's awesome! I really learn about music business and have more interest of continue my formation in Music Business.

By Eduardo M

Nov 29, 2015

A "Must Know" for musicians, song writers, producers, anyone who is starting out in the music business. This is extremely informative and very crucial to know.

By Виктория Н Ч

Mar 30, 2018

It is a really great course: full and useful! It tells about all aspects and rules which are related to music industry in the USA (and partly other countries)

By Génesis V B A

Oct 5, 2020

I thought it was lovely and extremely helpful. It was truly helpful to have Mr. John P. Kellog experiences as part of each lesson´s examples. Thank you.

By Andrejs V

Sep 20, 2018

Very relevant and kind of comprehensive course I've taken on Coursera. Big thanks to course creators and it was my pleasure to step into Music Business.

By JERIC I

Apr 1, 2016

Short video but the content is comprehensive and easy to understand. Highly recommended for those who want to understand the ways of the Music Industry.

By Dan C

Jul 23, 2018

This course, combined with Professor Kellogg's book, are invaluable resources in understand the fundamentals of the music business. Highly recommended!

By Mark A U

Jan 4, 2016

this is a very excellent course. I am going to recommend this course to anybody interesting in being a recording artist. or getting into the music busi

By Sónia S S

Dec 16, 2018

This is a fundamental course for anyone that wishes to pursue a career in the music industry, no matter what role you aim to play, this is a must do.

By Diego V S

May 13, 2020

Excelente información, excelente profesor, excelente curso en general!

Muy agradecido con Coursera por haberme becado en este curso! Significa mucho.

By Raul B G

Dec 23, 2015

Un curso excepcional para hacerse con una radiografía general de lo que fue, es y será la industria musical. El profesor es genial. Le pongo un 10.

By Jeffrey T N

Jun 29, 2020

Great course. Delivered well and very thorough. Material geared primarily towards performing artist but does cover all the other jobs involved.

By Bruna D

May 1, 2020

Loved it! Very well put! It really gives you a great perspective on before and now when it comes to the music business and all important aspects.

By Carlos I C V

Oct 1, 2015

Me encantó, aprendí muchas cosas nuevas sobre el negocio de la música. Me gustaría seguir aprendiendo sobre éste tema tan interesante. ¡Gracias!

By Alonso P M

Jul 20, 2020

This course is amazing! I learned everything that I wanted to know about Music Business and the information is complete and easy to understand.

By Lesley E M

Dec 25, 2016

This was a great course taught by a bright and engaging professor. I enjoyed his stories about the business and learned much from this course.

By Sergio D R C

Oct 31, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, the way kellogg explains the music industry is clear and understandable. I really recommend to take this course.

By reynaldo

Jan 23, 2018

excelente y muy completo, realmente te abre los ojos, si es que quieres dedicarte a la música, una excelente guia para saber cual es el camino

By Harsha S

Nov 5, 2015

The instructor was absolutely fantastic, clear, articulate and knowledgeable. Course material was well paced and adequate. Really enjoyed it.

By Joshua M

Oct 29, 2015

Dr. John Kellogg - You're simply the best! Had a great learning experience! God Bless! Thank you Berklee and Coursera for the opportunity!

By Ricardo N M

Jun 8, 2020

I loved all the topics on this course, Mr. Kellogg is a great teacher and I'm looking forward to have a real life class with him someday.