Back to Music Business Foundations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Music Business Foundations by Berklee College of Music

This course has been developed to provide students with the latest instruction on the best way for creators, consumers, and facilitators to navigate the resurgence of one of the world’s most exciting industries: the music business. Three things are clear about today’s music industry: The consumption of music is expanding at the greatest rate in history and from the most portals ever imagined, the cost of producing music is decreasing, and the number of artists creating and seeking to expose their work and develop careers through the Internet has increased dramatically. Whether you’re a music creator, consumer, or facilitator of this process, you’ll want to understand the history, underpinnings, and basics of the music business. Course author John Kellogg—administrator, educator, entertainment lawyer, performer, and radio and television personality—offers students the opportunity to learn the fundamental principles of the developing new music business, for now and into the future. What you'll learn: -- The basic history of the music industry and today's business trends -- How recording agreements are formulated -- The basics of copyright law as it pertains to the music business -- The role of agents, managers, attorneys, and specific business entities...

BD
Oct 22, 2017

This course was very useful and important to me, I plan on venturing in the music world very soon and knowing/ equipping myself with all of these will come in pretty handy for me. Thank you immensely.

DK
Feb 21, 2016

I advise this great course to everybody who wants to learn more about music industry in general, music business principles and tricks, including all types of agreements and principal actors.

76 - 100 of 577 Reviews for Music Business Foundations

By Victor R

Aug 23, 2021

A brilliant course with a brilliant lecturer and professor! Thank you so much for all the insight, valuable information, and experience you have shared with it and for all the great efforts you have invested in its making! :)

By Olga L

Dec 24, 2020

Nice course with useful information. I'm not interested too much in getting into business, but I'm rather on the artist side, but all the information that I got through this lesson was very interesting and important to know.

By Yerzhan M

Nov 12, 2020

Thank you Mr. Kellogg for introducing the music business for me. I did not know anything before. This business was very mysterious for me. I work in the music production business, and will surely help me with your knowledge.

By Erica S

Nov 9, 2020

Thank you so much for your time and knowledge. I am blessed to have had this experience and look forward to using these tools in real life instances, well most of them any how. Thank you again and take care.

Best,

Erica Smith

By Sam A

Mar 5, 2018

This professor was incredible. He truly was connected to the industry and seemed positive even in the face of the difficult things the industry is headed into. Such vital info that he shared. Thankful I took the course.

By Sophie C

May 14, 2020

Great course indeed, will definitely recommend it to a few of my colleagues. It helps to structure bits of knowledge one might have and build a nice base for a person who might be interested in going deeper into topic.

By Hannah K

Nov 1, 2020

I really enjoyed this course! There was so much to learn regarding the music industry and the way Mr Kellogg put it across and told stories was just wonderful. Thanks to the team behind it. I can't wait to learn more!

By Diego B

Jul 14, 2020

A great introduction of the basis of music business. The instructor has been in the business all of his life and clearly knows the indiustrie's ins-and-outs. Largely enlightening for anybody starting on this carrer.

By özge g

Apr 15, 2021

The instructor is such a cool guy. Love everything about music and Berklee College has really helped me with lots of course materials shared online for free!! Great education great attitude. Spread the knowledge.

By Dana C

Apr 7, 2020

I was very impressed with the depth and the breadth of knowledge I was able to gain from this short course. The materials are to the point and the professor is passionate and knowledgeable about the industry.

By Sara N

Jan 9, 2021

This was a really eye-opening, information-packed course taught clearly and concisely by a person steeped in the music business. Essential for anyone who is interested in the world of music and how it works.

By Dean H

Oct 29, 2015

I really had no knowledge of music producing or the history of music until I started this course. It has taught me much, and I'm sure the lessons I have learned will have great benefit now and in the future.

By Timo P

Oct 28, 2020

Great well-rounded course that gives broad overview how music business works. I loved the storytelling style and approach of the instructor. The lessons were very inspiring and enjoyable. Thanks for that!

By SOULAIMANE I

Aug 25, 2019

The lecturer is absolutely great. He was easy to follow and I got so much information that makes me feel not so lost when it comes to the topic.

Mr. John.p.Kellogg i'm honoured to have taken your course

By Erick G G

Jun 9, 2020

Awesome course! John P Kellogg does an awesome job explaining crucial topics on today's music industry. I've taken a few music business courses in my life, but by far, this one must be the best of them.

By alex v

Oct 15, 2020

Very specific, very good course. I learned a lot on how to develop my career and identify what I need. Loved the course! EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO WORK IN ANY FIELD OF THE MUSIC INDUSTRY NEEDS TO TAKE IT!!

By Federico S

Apr 16, 2021

It`s an excellent course to get into the basics and foundations of the music business, getting to know the different player of the game and wich role each play on this huge and amazing world of music.

By Jorge M A A R

Sep 23, 2020

Excelente curso, muy entretenido, los conceptos muy claros, las historias, los ejemplos y la forma de orientar el curso por parte de Jhon me gustó mucho, entendí y aprendí bastante de este curso.

By 雷沁颖

Dec 20, 2015

I really learned a lot from the lesson. Teacher Kellogg explained every link with instances and details, very easy to understand and not boring at all.

Thanks John, and thank you so much Coursera!

By Zhenya

Jan 2, 2016

It's been a very useful program for a beginner in the industry like me. It gives you a framework of how the system is synchronized in the US and how it might be applied in all other countries.

By Marcos L

Jul 16, 2020

Me encanto el curso, el profesor desde el principio fue muy claro y puntual en cada una de sus lecciones que sin dudas fortalecerán mi carrera como artista. ¡Muchas gracias, Sr. Kellogg!

By Melanie G

Jun 14, 2017

Amazing course and great teaching. The way things were taught was very clear and concise. I loved taking this course and want to keep re-taking it as the information is so valuable.

By Apoorv R

Sep 10, 2020

Loved the way of teaching done by Mr. John Kellog. Immense respect for his hard work & the way he is eager to share his knowledge with others. Will go for more of the berklee courses

By Connor M

Sep 3, 2021

Eye opening as a beginner trying to get into the music industry and trying to get "paid, not played". Thanks John for the info! We will see where this Spotify, TikTok era takes us.

By Troy K

Jun 28, 2017

Great course!! John does an amazing job at teaching the foundations with enthusiasm! I wish I could take the Music Business 101 class but was thankful for this to get me started.