Back to Music Business Foundations

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Music Business Foundations by Berklee College of Music

This course has been developed to provide students with the latest instruction on the best way for creators, consumers, and facilitators to navigate the resurgence of one of the world’s most exciting industries: the music business. Three things are clear about today’s music industry: The consumption of music is expanding at the greatest rate in history and from the most portals ever imagined, the cost of producing music is decreasing, and the number of artists creating and seeking to expose their work and develop careers through the Internet has increased dramatically. Whether you’re a music creator, consumer, or facilitator of this process, you’ll want to understand the history, underpinnings, and basics of the music business. Course author John Kellogg—administrator, educator, entertainment lawyer, performer, and radio and television personality—offers students the opportunity to learn the fundamental principles of the developing new music business, for now and into the future. What you'll learn: -- The basic history of the music industry and today's business trends -- How recording agreements are formulated -- The basics of copyright law as it pertains to the music business -- The role of agents, managers, attorneys, and specific business entities...

BD
Oct 22, 2017

This course was very useful and important to me, I plan on venturing in the music world very soon and knowing/ equipping myself with all of these will come in pretty handy for me. Thank you immensely.

DK
Feb 21, 2016

I advise this great course to everybody who wants to learn more about music industry in general, music business principles and tricks, including all types of agreements and principal actors.

476 - 492 of 492 Reviews for Music Business Foundations

By Jonathan G

Jan 10, 2018

interesting. I learned a lot in this course.

By Lau J

Jun 11, 2020

A little outdated but really nformative!

By Alex B

Feb 26, 2018

Excelente para principiantes en el tema

By MILASH H

Oct 20, 2020

Excellent course for future musicians

By Akhil B

May 23, 2020

was a good learning experience

By William J I

Sep 5, 2017

Do I receive a letter grade?

By felipe

Oct 27, 2018

Give a notion of everything

By jean p n

Oct 29, 2020

i love it thank u for info

By Gerdus L

Jun 6, 2020

great

By Eileen

May 12, 2020

I wish I could give this 3.5 stars. This is a great foundational course, especially because it is free. There is a lot of important history to learn and it really helps to contextualize why things are the way they are in the music industry today. A big drawback of this course, for me, was the fact that it is somewhat outdated. The professor of the course talks a great deal about how important technology is in the music industry, and I think the course could reflect that a little more. While streaming is definitely addressed in the course, it is rather obvious that it was nowhere near as prolific as it is today in the time that the lectures were recorded. However, I think it is worth taking anyway - you can always supplement your knowledge with other resources to stay up to date.

By Angela B

Dec 29, 2016

I definitely learned a few new things with this course but was hoping to learn some cutting edge tips on how to differentiate yourself as an artist with modern technology and how to build your fan-base online. It would be great to have tips on what to do on a day-to-day basis as an artist in the digital age. I also wish that the course covered more on how to avoid being "shelved" by a label or management company.

By Tong F C

Sep 13, 2020

This is a good foundation course and delivered well. However, it Is US-focused. The music business is now a global business. Perhaps the course can approach the business on an international basis.

By Peter K

Apr 27, 2016

Good, but I expected more...