Back to Introductory Human Physiology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introductory Human Physiology by Duke University

LL
Jun 1, 2016

I'm a high school student interested in human physiology.\n\nThis course is AMAZING! Though sometimes I felt overwhelmed and couldn't remember everything, I think it was worth every effort and energy.

JD
Jan 3, 2021

Best course I've ever taken! Detailed and thorough explanations of the systems of the body. Fascinating, enlightening, and enjoyable. Highly recommend for anyone interested in how the body functions.

26 - 50 of 882 Reviews for Introductory Human Physiology

By Bryony R

Feb 9, 2019

I am about to start a degree in nursing and this was an excellent introduction. The pace was quite fast and the content is quite technical but through rereading the materials and watching some supplementary explanations (such as Khan academy) it all made sense. Thank you for all for all of the hard work required to create such a comprehensive course

By Jade D

Jan 4, 2021

By Calista L

Oct 7, 2020

Great things first: It’s a great course, with quite an amount of information each video each module. For each week’s two to three video hours, I spent 5 to 6 hours researching through googling or textbook reading, and an intense note-taking all along. I highly recommend anyone who wants a ‘warm-up’ in college physiology to do this course. This is perhaps a first college level physiology, but it’s no way ‘introductory’. For a student with mostly humanities background like me, it’s going to be a challenging course. But it is really worth doing.

The course’s texts (ebook), video-transcripts, lectures, in-video questions, practice quizzes and graded quizzes are all very helpful.

It would be more helpful if explanation can be provided for some quizzes’ questions.

In some lectures, I found the explanation a bit confusing. V/Q mismatch is an important topic in respiratory system. Week 6. At 5:07 of a video titled “CO2 Transport and V/Q Mismatch”, after a literal explanation of what ‘Q’ and ‘V’ each stands for, I expect a concise explanation of what V/Q Mismatch IS, but what I get is: “The idea is that even though we've been talking about the lung as if it is the same in all regions, actually it is not. This is due mostly to just gravity.” Dr. Cabrey is explaining why the bottom of the lung is much more distensible (less compliant) than the top part of the lung. Of course this is what the figure shown on the slide is about. But clearly the aim is to illustrate the concept of V/Q Mismatch via the ventilation & perfusion situation of the lung. But what is V/Q Mismatch in the first place? The professor is no doubt very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the subject material (which I really appreciate), but I would appreciate a teaching approach which is more straightforward.

Again, thanks to the Teams at Duke and Coursera who make this course available.

By Parvathy s n

May 30, 2021

it was a fun ride to be a part of this journey of learning HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY .....it was very much helpful for understanding the basic concepts of our body how our body functions internally as well their hormonal capabilities .i feel really confident now because the lecture was easy to understand i thoroughly enjoyed. thank you.

By Harm t M

May 9, 2020

Wow, this is the most intense MOOC I have taken so far, and that is a good thing: in-depth, clear, well-explained and challenging at times. I would recommend this to everyone who is interested in learning how their body works.

By Nedyu Y

Jun 6, 2019

The course is excellent! Content and exams are very challenging, I personally had difficulties to complete them from the first try. It's worth repeating the material, further reading is also advisable.

By Senthamil S

Dec 10, 2020

It was a nice experience learning through coursera. Variety in learning resources made the learning interesting. Quiz questions were good. Expecting more courses in teaching and physiology subject.

By Wei L

Apr 1, 2016

Lectures are very concise. This course can help you grasp the most important core concepts and key woking mechanisms of human physiology. But I don't know why it do not have the immune system.

By Carmel F

Jan 19, 2016

I would not have passed my nursing class I had not found this course! It help to breakdown the overarching thought behind each system. I cant thank the professors and Coursera enough!

By Charles E A

May 30, 2021

THE BESTTTT!!!!!! I've learned a lot of vital knowledges from this exquisite course!

By Eraldo P P J

Nov 21, 2018

Great course with great teachers

By Denis Y

Mar 27, 2018

I took the course just out of curiosity, my field is software development. For me it was a very interesting course from system design point of view. It gives a lot of food to the brain and a wide range of analogies and patterns. Also I find it useful to know in more details how my body works, it raises awareness and makes me think that I need to care about my body more. It was also quite surprising for me that every new system was described with its own graphical notation, I find it difficult to adjust every time. Some moments were not clear, so I used google quite a lot. Some part remained unclear. E.g. when we look at cellular chemical exchange sometime it looks like that certain molecules are being accumulated by the cell, but there is no output shown for it. Overall I enjoyed the course and happy that I managed to finish it (it was the longest one for me on coursera). Thank you!

By 任熙达/XiDa R

Aug 18, 2015

The structure is a bit confusing, and the review is not quite as intensive as I would like.

Otherwise, it's awesome. The videos are good, the instructors speak at speeds just right, most of the slides are sparsely worded and well illustrated, the concepts are explained in depth... Awesome is the word.

By Anastasia D

Jan 29, 2016

Nice videos, well explained. The powerpoints are extremely useful and clear. However sometimes there is a confusion between what is said in the videos and in the lecture notes and the quiz questions. It may just be me however. Apart from that last thing, the rest is all good!

By Sarah A K

Jun 16, 2017

This is good course. It might say "Introductory" in the title, but don't be fooled, this is a thorough and pretty tough course !

By Yigal D

Jan 17, 2017

Quizzes do not always function correctly, but the content is great.

By Sandra T

May 26, 2021

Need to be updated but other then that it was good.

By Cia v W

May 13, 2020

Good content, interesting course.

Knowledgeable teachers, but the presentation was average. Mimi in particular speaks and writes to0 fast. This results in lots of tongue tripping and writing that does not correspond with what is said (thyronine vs thryonine; tropic vs trophic; etc) It is confusing and distracting. Nonetheless, I learned a lot. Thanks

By Hrishikesh G

Sep 4, 2015

I watch the videos after work when I get home and Jennifer Carbrey puts me to sleep. The presentation is such that it is very difficult to stay focused.

By Sara M G

May 18, 2021

Should be rated advanced as it requires a lot of previous knowledge

By Susan H

Jan 18, 2017

Very much a straight lecture course of rather difficult material.

By Rafael M d S

Feb 21, 2016

The course should give more details.

By j

Aug 12, 2017

A lot of WHAT, but very little WHY. Instead of going from the whole to the detail, the minutia of selective parts are laid out. Old-school schooling, not conducive for understanding principles. Not recommended.

By Suzanne M

Oct 6, 2020

I was told to come to this site to cancel my enrollment in the coursera course "Introductory Human Physiology". As usual, the directions I received were inaccurate. I must cancel because the course as presented is too far above my academic preparation in math and chemistry. This is NOT an introductory course. It is as challenging as the Vander text which I purchased to assist me. I also purchased the supposed $5 notes for the course and printed them out. Fooled again. They bear no resemblance to the course materials. By the way, I received a scholarship for the Certificate in this course based upon my performance in my two previous courses at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and the University of Michigan. I appreciate your consideration but the course advertising does not fit its content. Suzanne Masson

By Jack

Nov 18, 2020

Great course, about what you'd find in second year of university. Other reviews say this isn't really introductory or that it is advanced but this is not true. Yes, to study physiology you should already know some basic chemistry (ie. what pH is and pressure/volume, electric potential, what bicarbonate ion buffers are) and biology (know what a cell membrane is, basic transporters, ATP), but not much beyond high school / first year level so do those first if you haven't already. Maybe come in with some elementary anatomy too, like knowing where the pancreas and pituitary glands are. But these are just assumed prerequisites for any physiology course so I don't fault the instructors. Most videos give a good overview of the systems, glossing over some details. It was dry at certain points where I had to watch Youtube vids for clarity, but overall the videos and assessments were good. I got by without the readings, only using the slides and Dr. Mike Youtube videos to revisit topics I didn't understand the first time around. Physiology isn't an easy subject, but with some time and supplementary videos this course isn't too bad.