Back to Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course) by Michigan State University

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course*, you will design a series bible and write a complete pilot episode for your own unique television or web series, be it drama or comedy or something in between. You’ll learn to break down the creative process into components, and you’ll discover a structured process that allows you to produce a polished and pitch-ready script in just a few weeks. Completing this project will increase your confidence in your ideas and abilities, and you’ll feel prepared to pitch your first script and get started on your next. This is a course designed to tap into your creativity and is based in "Active Learning". Most of the actual learning takes place within your own activities - that is, writing! You will learn by doing. "Thank you so much for your direct way of teaching this course. It was encouraging for us all to creatively flow and find our own voice in writing and developing our scripts. This aspect was very important to me." Ingrid The course curriculum is simple: you’ll write, revise your work, and share feedback with your peers. I am a proponent of Experiential Learning (active learning). My lectures are short (sometimes just two minutes long) and to the point, designed in a step-by-step process essential to your success as a script writer. I will guide you but I won’t "show" you how to write. I firmly believe that the only way to become a writer is to write, write, write. “David's lecture style for this course is inspired. The videos are succinct and engaging. When I watch the lectures I feel David’s sincere desire for me to create something truly amazing. He is teaching us how to write a script, and he is providing wisdom and tools that will help us do so in a compelling way - by writing; not by watching him talk at us.” - A R Adamson What you’ll need to get started: To begin with, any basic word processor will do. During week two, you can choose to download some free scriptwriting software such as Celtx or Trelby or you may choose to purchase Final Draft, or you can continue to use your word processor and do your own script formatting. Learner Review: "I am in love with this course. Having never written a script before, or any substantive fiction since college (15 years ago) I had a small idea in my head that has now exploded into something I really believe in. David's guidance is spot on, he's his own compelling story teller, he gives you enough, and then you have to figure it out, make it happen, WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! " *About Project-Centered Courses: This is a ‘project-centered course’, which means it is designed specifically to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share. Time: 1-2 hours of study, 30+ hours of active project work...

AA

Jun 14, 2016

David Wheeler is awesome, and I love this course! I am so glad that Coursera and Michigan State University have partnered to offer this course to those of us who have a thirst for learning! Thank you!

JF

Sep 28, 2016

Fantastic course, loved the way it walked you step by step through the process and the formatting. This course could have been ten weeks and still wouldn't be enough. Awesome hands on learning.

51 - 75 of 166 Reviews for Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course)

By Amy A

Jun 14, 2016

By Jeanne H F

Sep 28, 2016

By Maria T

Jan 11, 2017

Amazing course. Without useless talking, we are immediately thrown into action, and start working immediately. This course helped me gain priceless empiric experience, and finally start writing.

By Rex E

Nov 30, 2019

Exceptional!

Have no time to currently complete; will cancel and start over next year. Don't care about certificate but believe course deserves payment so will cheerfully pay once again.

By Sara A F

Jul 25, 2016

I loved this course, it was eye opening for me. I've always loved writing but I've never studied it. taking this course helped me explore my writing more.

I totally recommend it to anyone!

By Ernest L W

Mar 17, 2016

One of the best courses I have ever taken. When I first started this course, I began with a passion and throughout each week, it was starting to become a reality. Thank you David Wheeler.

By Ellen H

Oct 03, 2018

This is a tough course but what makes it simple is how the instructor breaks everything down little by little. I love that I can re-watch the videos. That helps a lot. Feedback is real.

By Satyapriya K

Apr 19, 2018

Amazing course. Detailed explanations foe every task. A community that reviewed and scrutinized your work. At the end of the course I have a chiseled three act pilot and season outline

Dec 27, 2016

I really enjoy screenwriting and this course has not only gave me some interesting points but also, help me develop my own tv show idea and start writing it. It's really good so far!

By Manuel R

May 23, 2017

A perfect journey. It has been very useful and inspiring. Active learning, peer to peer evaluation, helpful tutors. This is one of the best experience in online learning I ever had.

By Arnab B

Aug 04, 2017

It was a very good course and in a small time i came to know a lot about the script writing sorry that i cannot complete the whole course due to my other commitments

By Lorenzo M V I

Jul 23, 2017

Great experience! You jump right into the meat, into the grind. It's a no nonsense approach that allows you to get hands on experience and critical critique.

By Jon R

Mar 09, 2017

Learned a ton about Script writing. Who cares if it is MSU or any other University. The Professor teaching is what makes all of the difference.

By L. A S

Aug 06, 2016

Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series is a very challenging course. However, if you goal is to write a TV Pilot, this is

By Elyrice A

Oct 07, 2016

I learnt a lot . I am most appreciative of reviewers who spent a great deal of time reading my work, and leaving constructive comments.

By William A S

Nov 05, 2018

A very informative, and interesting class. It was definitely useful in teaching me how to correctly format and structure my scripts.

By Alexander J C

Aug 21, 2019

It is very useful for my future in Script writing thank you for teaching me it. It is One of the best class I have ever been in.

By Gustavo A R R

Jul 20, 2019

Great course! It has helped me face the blank sheet fear and also has out me on work while analyzing my virtues and defects!

By Christopher P W

Aug 09, 2019

I truly loved this. I never knew how much of my story I had to give and this has put me on my way. Thank you so much.

By Chris M

Oct 25, 2018

Not only was the content helpful and interesting, the process and structure of the programme was also very stimulating.

By meisam e

Jan 01, 2017

I Loved Dr. David Wheeler's method. I will enroll in his course/courses over and over again since I want to learn more.

By Wendy M

May 30, 2017

I learned a great deal and while the pace of the course was tough, it got me into a good writing routine. Thank you!!

By Matthew R

Jul 17, 2019

This course really helped me organize my ideas and be able to succinctly get my script together in an organized way.

By nitika

Feb 22, 2019

The course was crisp. I could learn at my pace. Assignments were very helpful. I enjoyed the well designed course

By Monique

Feb 19, 2017

Fantastic, hand-on opportunity. You can't learn to write unless you are doing a project. Great course structure!