Back to Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course) by Michigan State University

What you’ll achieve: In this project-centered course*, you will design a series bible and write a complete pilot episode for your own unique television or web series, be it drama or comedy or something in between. You’ll learn to break down the creative process into components, and you’ll discover a structured process that allows you to produce a polished and pitch-ready script in just a few weeks. Completing this project will increase your confidence in your ideas and abilities, and you’ll feel prepared to pitch your first script and get started on your next. This is a course designed to tap into your creativity and is based in "Active Learning". Most of the actual learning takes place within your own activities - that is, writing! You will learn by doing. "Thank you so much for your direct way of teaching this course. It was encouraging for us all to creatively flow and find our own voice in writing and developing our scripts. This aspect was very important to me." Ingrid The course curriculum is simple: you’ll write, revise your work, and share feedback with your peers. I am a proponent of Experiential Learning (active learning). My lectures are short (sometimes just two minutes long) and to the point, designed in a step-by-step process essential to your success as a script writer. I will guide you but I won’t "show" you how to write. I firmly believe that the only way to become a writer is to write, write, write. “David's lecture style for this course is inspired. The videos are succinct and engaging. When I watch the lectures I feel David’s sincere desire for me to create something truly amazing. He is teaching us how to write a script, and he is providing wisdom and tools that will help us do so in a compelling way - by writing; not by watching him talk at us.” - A R Adamson What you’ll need to get started: To begin with, any basic word processor will do. During week two, you can choose to download some free scriptwriting software such as Celtx or Trelby or you may choose to purchase Final Draft, or you can continue to use your word processor and do your own script formatting. Learner Review: "I am in love with this course. Having never written a script before, or any substantive fiction since college (15 years ago) I had a small idea in my head that has now exploded into something I really believe in. David's guidance is spot on, he's his own compelling story teller, he gives you enough, and then you have to figure it out, make it happen, WRITE! WRITE! WRITE! " *About Project-Centered Courses: This is a ‘project-centered course’, which means it is designed specifically to help you complete a personally meaningful real-world project, with your instructor and a community of learners with similar goals providing guidance and suggestions along the way. By actively applying new concepts as you learn, you’ll master the course content more efficiently; you’ll also get a head start on using the skills you gain to make positive changes in your life and career. When you complete the course, you’ll have a finished project that you’ll be proud to use and share. Time: 1-2 hours of study, 30+ hours of active project work...

AA

Jun 14, 2016

David Wheeler is awesome, and I love this course! I am so glad that Coursera and Michigan State University have partnered to offer this course to those of us who have a thirst for learning! Thank you!

JF

Sep 28, 2016

Fantastic course, loved the way it walked you step by step through the process and the formatting. This course could have been ten weeks and still wouldn't be enough. Awesome hands on learning.

76 - 100 of 185 Reviews for Script Writing: Write a Pilot Episode for a TV or Web Series (Project-Centered Course)

By Gustavo A R R

Jul 20, 2019

Great course! It has helped me face the blank sheet fear and also has out me on work while analyzing my virtues and defects!

By Jason F

Apr 26, 2020

I thought it was a wonderful course to take -- particularly if you needed a refresher on lingo/the process of screenwriting

By Ilhan J G

May 07, 2020

The most helpful experience I had regarding my career so far. Thank you so much! I'm really exited to keep my story going!

By Christopher P W

Aug 09, 2019

I truly loved this. I never knew how much of my story I had to give and this has put me on my way. Thank you so much.

By Chris M

Oct 25, 2018

Not only was the content helpful and interesting, the process and structure of the programme was also very stimulating.

By meisam e

Jan 01, 2017

I Loved Dr. David Wheeler's method. I will enroll in his course/courses over and over again since I want to learn more.

By Wendy M

May 30, 2017

I learned a great deal and while the pace of the course was tough, it got me into a good writing routine. Thank you!!

By Matthew R

Jul 17, 2019

This course really helped me organize my ideas and be able to succinctly get my script together in an organized way.

By nitika

Feb 22, 2019

The course was crisp. I could learn at my pace. Assignments were very helpful. I enjoyed the well designed course

By Monique

Feb 19, 2017

Fantastic, hand-on opportunity. You can't learn to write unless you are doing a project. Great course structure!

By victoria M

Jan 08, 2020

The Mentors especially Jan was great. I got all my questions answered and it was timely and complete.

By Rain R

Mar 03, 2018

I learned a lot. Would recommend this course as a refresher or for serious beginners!

Thanks Coursera.

By Shaunda

Apr 01, 2018

I Loved this course. By the end I had a complete TV script, Bible and was working on a Webseries.

By Edward H

Mar 11, 2019

I took this course out of curiosity. I just want to know if I have it in me the creative flare.

By Maysoon M

Jul 10, 2017

it's simple, it tells you exactly what you need to do, it's the bare truth with no magic wands.

By Andrea C

Apr 06, 2016

It was wonderful to get writing again and to get all the wonderful feedback from my classmates.

By David L

Jun 07, 2017

This was a good course. It really made me write. It was a great oppertunity to learn by doing.

By Nicholas N

Oct 10, 2018

This course will teach you the proper way to create a three act- screenplay. I loved it.

By Robert M

Jul 23, 2019

This course changed my life and helped me harness a genius within i never thought i had!

By VASU C

Thank You for teaching me this course. I hope this will make my career more effective.

By Ellie

Jul 24, 2017

I really enjoyed the course and feel I have learned a lot that I can use in the futtur

By Tshepo M

Dec 30, 2019

Amazing course. Thank you for directing and guiding my process into scriptwriting.

By Annette B

Mar 29, 2019

Excellent preparation for those of us interested in writing scripts for movies, t

By SHIVA K P V V

Sep 30, 2016

Quite exciting from the first video lesson itself. Great motivation and guidance.

By Rennes L T

Jul 26, 2017

A really tough module but definitely fruitful in getting you started in writing!