Back to Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python by IBM

Much of the world's data resides in databases. SQL (or Structured Query Language) is a powerful language which is used for communicating with and extracting data from databases. A working knowledge of databases and SQL is a must if you want to become a data scientist. The purpose of this course is to introduce relational database concepts and help you learn and apply foundational knowledge of the SQL language. It is also intended to get you started with performing SQL access in a data science environment. The emphasis in this course is on hands-on and practical learning . As such, you will work with real databases, real data science tools, and real-world datasets. You will create a database instance in the cloud. Through a series of hands-on labs you will practice building and running SQL queries. You will also learn how to access databases from Jupyter notebooks using SQL and Python. No prior knowledge of databases, SQL, Python, or programming is required. Anyone can audit this course at no-charge. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you can also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

BS

Amazing course for beginners! The entire course is well structured and has good hands-on assignments. SQL is extremely essential for Database management and fun learning so please do try this one out!

PK
Aug 19, 2020

A very useful course with some very interesting datasets/Jupyter notebooks to work through/practice your skills. Offers a good balanced blend between theory and practical/practice. Very good course!

1326 - 1350 of 1,511 Reviews for Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python

Apr 2, 2020

Good.

By Ahmed E

Jun 7, 2020

Good

By chi z

Mar 23, 2020

nice

By VIGNESHKUMAR R

Dec 23, 2019

Good

By Cristian M

Jul 20, 2019

Good

By PARAMDEEP S

Apr 23, 2019

By Ibrahim R

Oct 17, 2019

By Alexander T

May 5, 2020

Week 1 was fine, however I want to complain about the way teaching was handled for week 2.

I am a visual and kinaesthetic learner which means that i really struggle to absorb information audibly, this is fine as in ALL previous courses of the IBM professional certification there are videos supplemented by reading materials and guided labs (I can listen to the videos, and then work my way through the labs to gain understanding of the videos.)

In this course, specifically week two, you had the video, and a lab that had the instructions "do the functions stated in the previous two videos" TWICE.

This is, to pardon my language, total garbage. You are a teaching device who apparently has not bothered to attempt to teach anyone as you can't be bothered to write a brief PDF stating what you want us to do. instead assuming that we will do all the work regardless of whether it's helping our learning or not. I am sure this works fine for some people, for plenty of others it does not.

I'm rating this as all my previous IBM data science courses were very nicely made and acommodated all learning types.I think it's a crying shame that one week has been allowed to be so much worse than the overall level of the course.

By Husayn Z A

This was probably the worst course I have ever taken on coursera. Unless you have at least some basic SQL experience, DO NOT take this course. And if you are in the specialisation which requires this course, do some basic SQL from somewhere else and then come to this course. There are a lot of problems with the datasets when you try to load them into the SQL database server in IBM DB2 and most importantly, the video explanations are too hard to understand. They explain most of the things which aren't really important and don't explain things that really DO have some importance. I'm pretty good at SQL myself (said by my cousin an SQL Database Manager for over 5 years) but I still struggled a lot with problem 8, 9 and 10 of the final assignment. Any moderators seeing this, when it is possible, I beg of you, please fix this course. If I hadn't faced any of these problems, this would be a very fun and interesting course. So what happened here? Everything is explained to us like we have mastered the fundamentals already and are coming back for a revision. Truly very disappointed with this course.

By Norma L

Jul 26, 2020

I think the course needs a bit more structure and written labs, some of them just tells you to practice what you´ve seen on the videos but I think it would be much more effective if there were more labs with specific problems to solve.

Also in some of the labs some solutions are given without explanations and those havent been even mentioned on the videos or the readings

The forum is not as effective as the previous course I did of this specialization, teaching staff takes ages to answer, and also answers are not satisfactory.

Anyway, the content is interesting and I have enjoyed learning

By Murtaza S

Apr 12, 2020

Decent course for an introduction to SQL. Basic commands were introduced well and the Jupyter integration was great for practice.

But the course was a little too basic; could have had more application-oriented content and a steeper difficulty curve. In addition, the Analyzing data with Python video from week 3 had about 1 one minute of voiceover that was completely unrelated to SQL or databases. The voiceover was just about Sodium in Nutrition. Felt very unnecessary.

By Vincent Z

Feb 10, 2019

This is a shallow introduction to SQL. Python API is shown, but not used in the assignments. The videos are OK at best, and many times, the examples are not the best, in that they don't really show why one would use, say, a left join instead of full join operation in real life. The earlier weeks need more exercices. However, the final week is quite good. At least the exercices and final quiz makes you think a little.

By Ruiming Y

Apr 7, 2021

The criteria for the final assignment is too strict to follow. If I am able to get the right result, why bother in what way I accomplish it? I believe there are many ways to build up the code without using all those DESC method or LIMIT method, and maybe it is a more convenient way. I got 99% for the course and it really makes me annoying that I have to submit over and over again for what I think I have achieved.

By Chantel B

Apr 17, 2021

This was a very helpful course - reason I'm not rating it a 4 is due to a few bugs and it was quite frustrating to submit the assignments at times, especially when working in DB2 and having to drag the tables below your query scripts and then screenshot for submission. There also seems to be an issue with the bonus week (advanced sql) whereby students are not issued the honors recognition after completion.

By Stephen S

Dec 31, 2018

I wanted to like this course more, but wow was it dry. There were a lot of small nuisances with having so many logins to access course material that made things frustrating at times. Although, the point is to get you accustomed to an IBM centric workflow, that when you start to learn it, its not bad. I did enjoy the final project, and found it to be the redeeming quality of this course.

By Utkarsh R

Apr 10, 2020

Though the course content is good and covers the essential portion of SQL and also lets you try your skills on real-world data, the course video feels outdated and monotonous and makes it less interesting to watch. In Majority of videos, the instructor shows screenshots of code and its output instead of running which feels utterly passive.

By Ioannis D

Apr 13, 2020

All in all an ok introduction to SQL, have found other courses much more insightful and easy to follow. Course felt too fast at some points for someone without a Computer Science background. Too much attention on how to do things on the various IBM tools and writting SQL using Python rather than learning SQL itself.

By Anastasia D

Apr 13, 2021

The course itself was really cool. But the dataset of chicago public schools is bad (I had to change the name of all columns from lower to uppercase, and the leaders icon is all "weak" so db2 considers it as 4chars long, which is false, so I encoutered a lot of errors that i shouldn't have during this course

By Yasir A

Apr 15, 2020

overall good course but my issue is that there are no notes provided to review just the videos and the labs, notes would've been a great addition to this course..also there is an issue of incorrect grade given in the peer reviewed assignment, i hope this gets rectified because it ruins the fun in learning.

By Aayush M

Jul 11, 2019

Lecture slides are required. Please note that so much being taught in a small video may slip out of mind and to quickly go through so many syntax would have been possible only if lecture slides would have been provided.

It is not possible to look back into videos again if i want to confirm some syntax.