Back to Wharton Business and Financial Modeling Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Wharton Business and Financial Modeling Capstone by University of Pennsylvania

In this Capstone you will recommend a business strategy based on a data model you’ve constructed. Using a data set designed by Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS), you will implement quantitative models in spreadsheets to identify the best opportunities for success and minimizing risk. Using your newly acquired decision-making skills, you will structure a decision and present this course of action in a professional quality PowerPoint presentation which includes both data and data analysis from your quantitative models. Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) is the leading data research platform and business intelligence tool for over 30,000 corporate, academic, government and nonprofit clients in 33 countries. WRDS provides the user with one location to access over 200 terabytes of data across multiple disciplines including Accounting, Banking, Economics, ESG, Finance, Insurance, Marketing, and Statistics....

AV
Nov 1, 2017

Good course that helps understand different considerations to take into account when creating models. Well laid out Capstone project to help understand portfolio diversification and Optimal Portfolio.

RT
Sep 25, 2016

Really a great set of courses to understand and apply models to many different scenarios. I was able to use the skills I learned right away in my profession. Would definitely recommend.

51 - 72 of 72 Reviews for Wharton Business and Financial Modeling Capstone

By Jordi V

Jan 24, 2017

Great Overall Specialization

By Aadil

Great course learned alot.

By ema

Apr 26, 2020

Great

By Davide B

Feb 9, 2017

For peer review: I wuold add the possibility, by the valuated candidate, to express a counterback valuation on the person who assigned him/her the vote, relative on the efficacy of the suggestion and the consistency of the judgement on his work.

By Alexis R A

Jul 29, 2020

Good capstone, online learning in general is a bit frustrating, but the course was solid and I appreciated the chance to do something more interactive. Recommended!

By Miquel P

Apr 21, 2021

More support should be given to the students. Also, I didn't like repeating the videos from previous courses.

By Stanley L W

Jun 26, 2019

Very pratical and could use what you learned from the last five courses together

By Alex M

Feb 3, 2018

I went in expecting to learn about modeling, which I did to a degree, but more time was spent on stocks than I would have liked. Maybe that's useful for Wharton grads going to Wall Street, but I was looking for more of a general education. Course is a bit disjointed. The quizes are sometimes only tangentally related to the lectures. There's some leaps from what's taught to what's expected that seem a bit too far.

By Jingru Z

Nov 20, 2019

the courses are good, however, the questions of the quiz are so confusing and makes me testing again and again for my result and finally found out it's the date period was using wrong, and it's due to the unclear question.

By Philip W

Feb 14, 2018

The coursework is clear however you might want to rethink how you use the Coursera website in order to set the request/ coursework out. Navigation around this course is difficult and at times confusing.

By srividhya r i

Jun 27, 2019

The Capstone project could have been something more rigorous - more to do with Business/Financial Modelling.

By Scott S

Aug 22, 2017

The course is too disheveled and, as a result, takes more effort than it should to complete.

By Jiahang L

Mar 7, 2019

More detailed learning material need to be provided. The course is too brief.

By Kevin O J

May 2, 2021

More Resources

By Martin Š

Oct 1, 2018

I was enjoying the ending of my specialization a lot, however it is very very needed to say that week 3 quiz is insanely overtuned and requires to find and use knowledge that was not part of the materials or videos in the whole specialization ( 4 courses + capstone).

By Marek N

Mar 8, 2017

Too much focus on portfolio investments topic. Would expect more on modeling principles in broader context.

By Zak R

Jun 7, 2021

I am VERY disappointed in not only just this capstone course but the entirety of the Wharton Business and Financial modeling certificate courses. The classes always seemed to have an incorrect or inaccurate answers and information on how to calculate or do something from the instructors. For example (and most recent) on this Capstone week 3 a 'Tip' from the teacher says that the formula to calculate daily return is formula used : return = (today's-price/ yesterdays_price)/yesterdays_price but in week 2 we were provided a spread sheet (assuming from a different teacher?) with the daily return for AAPL calculated showing the totals as well as previous course material from the module 3 showing to calculate the daily return is actually (today's price-yesterdays price)/yesterdays price so we knew if we calculated them right for week 2's quiz. If you were to use the formula provided in week 3 your entire spreadsheet would have been incorrect for the week 2 quiz. I've submitted SEVERAL requests for help, clarification, (not just to Coursera, but also Wharton Online) and several Discussion forum questions that I've been told are monitored regularly by the teachers, but no one will answer my questions or respond to my discussion board questions. I just get sent youtube links and Investopedia articles that I had already found by googling the question myself. I have spent at least 10 hours of research, rewatching previous course modules, and following everything they said and provided and yet none of my quiz 3 answers for it are correct.

I've been stuck on the Capstone's week 3 getting incorrect quiz answers unable to continue on for going on 3 weeks now and not a single person at Coursera or Wharton will do a damn thing about it to try to help me (Other than send me youtube links and investopedia articles). What's worse is I made the mistake of paying for a 1 year membership and I have zero interest now of continuing on with Coursera for the remainder of the year doing these stupid certificate modules only to reach the capstone project, get stuck, and not have a single resource available to help when the course material isn't helping me except for Google or Youtube.

I am more than capable of using Youtube and Investopedia as free services, so why am I paying for premium content that's FREE on the internet? To anyone reading my review thinking about learning with Coursera, please do yourself a favor and avoid the headache and find a better learning option, or google the information yourself and self learn. If you're looking specifically at the Wharton Business and Financial Modeling Certificate on Coursera I'd recommend skipping the coursera part and just paying for the degree from Wharton (or honestly ANY other institution online) with real dedicated teachers and tutors who can and will actually help you so you can learn the information you're paying good money to instead of just resenting youtube clips.

Coursera/Wharton if you're reading my review all I have to say to you is, Do better. Don't put a course up for 5-6 years and never check it again because you're getting money still every week. Make sure someone BESIDES STUDENT'S PAYING TO LEARN FROM YOU is checking content and links all work at least once a year

I had been told such great things from a former co-worker about Coursera and all I have to say is the only thing it's accomplished for me is being $400 poorer with as much help as Googling and Youtube can give me.

If you doubt me, check out Coursera's 1.43 stars out of 5 and "F" rating on Better Business Bureau https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/mountain-view/profile/online-education/coursera-inc-1216-355709