Back to Wharton Business and Financial Modeling Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Wharton Business and Financial Modeling Capstone by University of Pennsylvania

In this Capstone you will recommend a business strategy based on a data model you’ve constructed. Using a data set designed by Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS), you will implement quantitative models in spreadsheets to identify the best opportunities for success and minimizing risk. Using your newly acquired decision-making skills, you will structure a decision and present this course of action in a professional quality PowerPoint presentation which includes both data and data analysis from your quantitative models. Wharton Research Data Services (WRDS) is the leading data research platform and business intelligence tool for over 30,000 corporate, academic, government and nonprofit clients in 33 countries. WRDS provides the user with one location to access over 200 terabytes of data across multiple disciplines including Accounting, Banking, Economics, ESG, Finance, Insurance, Marketing, and Statistics....

AV

Nov 02, 2017

Good course that helps understand different considerations to take into account when creating models. Well laid out Capstone project to help understand portfolio diversification and Optimal Portfolio.

RT

Sep 26, 2016

Really a great set of courses to understand and apply models to many different scenarios. I was able to use the skills I learned right away in my profession. Would definitely recommend.

26 - 50 of 50 Reviews for Wharton Business and Financial Modeling Capstone

By Jerrad A

Sep 25, 2016

Really interesting course. I especially enjoyed the capstone project, which had a lot to do with portfolio construction in the real world. There are many real-world applications for this course and I highly recommend it!

By Manoel L C N

Sep 15, 2018

Excelent Course!

By Michael M

Oct 15, 2018

This course is a great way to get working knowledge of financial models and efficient frontier portfolio investing. Highly recommended!

By Deshmukh P G

Oct 12, 2018

A course that tests your complete understanding of all the courses in the specialization.

By Alain G

Jul 24, 2018

I learned how to asses and analyze investment portfolios

By Varghese J

Aug 04, 2019

Outstanding and you get to apply everything you learn from all previous courses and apply it here to the capstone.

By Jafed E

Jul 06, 2019

By Yash L

Jun 13, 2019

Excellent course, great learnings. Applicable to real life practice.

By Davide B

Feb 09, 2017

For peer review: I wuold add the possibility, by the valuated candidate, to express a counterback valuation on the person who assigned him/her the vote, relative on the efficacy of the suggestion and the consistency of the judgement on his work.

By Arun R

Aug 15, 2017

Excellent course with an indepth understanding of financial modeling and optimal risk portfolios. The Capstone project created a challenge by introducing 10-stock covariance matrix and Portfolio Variance calculation, which threw some of us off, but ultimately managed to get it done.

By Andrey N

Sep 06, 2016

Too easy, no direct feedback. But a good refresher, though

By Atanasio R M

May 07, 2018

I had some technical problems to upload the final project, but finally they were solved.

First of all, I tried to upload several times the file, because the file couldn´t be uploaded. I had to try with a different device to upload it after many tries.

After that, I uploaded the file but it could not be opened by the rest of students. At expiration date to be evaluated the projects, I entered into the course. Unfortunately I had failed because the students couldn´t read my file. In last call I contacted with technical support to upload again with very little room for manoeuvre to be evaluated my project.

I had to strongly follow up the issue during these last days to pass the course.

Apart from these problems, I have to say that the response of technical support via email was quick.

By Stanley L W

Jun 27, 2019

Very pratical and could use what you learned from the last five courses together

By Jiahang L

Mar 07, 2019

More detailed learning material need to be provided. The course is too brief.

By Scott S

Aug 22, 2017

The course is too disheveled and, as a result, takes more effort than it should to complete.

By Alex M

Feb 03, 2018

I went in expecting to learn about modeling, which I did to a degree, but more time was spent on stocks than I would have liked. Maybe that's useful for Wharton grads going to Wall Street, but I was looking for more of a general education. Course is a bit disjointed. The quizes are sometimes only tangentally related to the lectures. There's some leaps from what's taught to what's expected that seem a bit too far.

By Fred J

Apr 20, 2017

Excel seems not like the ideal tool for portfolio optimization. A business plan or a net value calculation would have been much more in the spirit of this specialization

By Philip W

Feb 14, 2018

The coursework is clear however you might want to rethink how you use the Coursera website in order to set the request/ coursework out. Navigation around this course is difficult and at times confusing.

By srividhya r i

Jun 27, 2019

The Capstone project could have been something more rigorous - more to do with Business/Financial Modelling.

By Marek N

Mar 08, 2017

Too much focus on portfolio investments topic. Would expect more on modeling principles in broader context.

By Martin Š

Oct 01, 2018

I was enjoying the ending of my specialization a lot, however it is very very needed to say that week 3 quiz is insanely overtuned and requires to find and use knowledge that was not part of the materials or videos in the whole specialization ( 4 courses + capstone).

Sep 05, 2016

Seemed like the Capstone was rushed and turned into an Investment Management course...I signed up to practice business finance modeling not investment management. The instructors did not present any further information and referred students to third-party resources (ie, Investopedia and Youtube). Many students in the forums voiced their frustration. Disappointing course with little added value, and in my opinion, hurts Wharton's image.

Overall, the Wharton Online Business Finance Modeling Specialization is not worth the ~US$550. If I could I would ask for a refund.

By lorenzo r

Jan 24, 2017

The course capstone was very disappointing. it has nothing to do with business and financial modeling, it is nothing more than a very questionable portfolio construction exercise on optimized weights and parameters. Not only such a portfolio is pretty unrealistic, but it has nothing to do with business modeling!

By Michael F

Feb 08, 2018

This course was the worst of the 5. It was interesting actually applying the concepts we learned but there was no new material. Also I think that it is unfair to have only peer grading on the assignment as some students will grade stricter than others. Every one should be able to be graded on a level playing field. I completed the assignment and accounted for all deliverables and it seems like other students just took off points because they felt like it. I got 100% on all the quizzes for the class so it is annoying that my grade is essentially decided by my competition.

By Rishikesh

Oct 12, 2018

Material and the course are not related! I would suggest if you wan to make it this complex please have instructors on hand!

I did markowitz inundergrad and masters too, and i did my Masters from LBS and undergrad from LSE i had to ask my professors to help! This is quite strange.

The internal teaching staff said that they wantd students to be creative and look at the way to solve it for themselves however the onus of figuring out how to create a matrix and why its done in that manner should not be on youtube.

Thank! The other 4 are great but this one is really bad!