Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second)....

SG

Jan 20, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

MM

Sep 29, 2017

good course, I like the fact you can use a lot of languages for you programming exercises, the content is really helpful, I would like to have more indications from the grading system to save time.

151 - 175 of 1,198 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Pedineedi N s

Aug 31, 2018

i'm unable to understand why my code is getting an error in your compiler. Because I had checked my code in various online compilers also, It is rediculous and I totally lost my patience since i was trying from past 10 days.

By Rohan G

Apr 22, 2018

The course is OK. But there is no mentor to answer the question in the discussion forum. So in case of any doubt no one is there to help.

By Yifei P

Nov 25, 2017

Too bad. I do not know how to run the program on my Mac. The professors' voice also made me annoyed.

By Sandeep M

Nov 09, 2019

lack of proper explanation and no beginner friendly content.

By Muhammad Y

Mar 29, 2020

This Course contains challenging assignments to solve, that makes the concept is more clear to understand, but I do not like when instructors are explaining the algorithm on pseudo-code only, if there is virtualization for how the algorithm works, this will make the concept is easy to understand and apply.

By Drumil M

Nov 14, 2016

Instructors are perfect. The course is intense and not easy. But the way the concepts are taught is very lucid. One of the best courses on coursera. I am leading my way to the specialization. Again, the instructors are really great. The assignments are the best part of this course. Must take.

By Andrew T

Oct 27, 2017

I really like this course and I have learned many new and interesting things. I think a good improvement may be a little more examples of real life problems which can/should and should not be solved using provided algorithms/methodologies... I plan to continue specialization a little later.

By Vivek S

Mar 16, 2020

This course is one of the best course to learn and understand the algorithms and why they are important to understand. The instructors were great and their way of teaching was just perfect. Plus the assignments were very interesting and gave very insightful knowledge on various algorithms.

By Akshay N

Dec 15, 2019

Excellent course. Good introduction to algorithms with minimal theory and strong focus on implementation. The problems are not trivial, require loads of time and they will really test your understanding of the material which is covered well in some places and not so well in other places.

By Samyak J

Jul 27, 2019

Highly recommended for everyone from starters to advance coders. Focuses on the core concepts of solving a problem and provides the general solution. End of week assignments proves to be very useful and only after one understand the concepts and crack the problems, can he move forward.

By Hemu

Sep 14, 2017

Lectures are very clear, well organized. Mini quiz questions were designed extremely well. They actually make you think about what you were just presented, rather than just asking you to spit back out what you heard. Programming assignments are great too for same reason. Awesome class!

By Yash S N

Oct 31, 2019

This was an excellent course with excellent mentors. Since I am and Electronics Engineering grad, I thought it would be very difficult, but indeed it is not. I have been to other courses in Coursera on Algorithms and so far, this according to me is the best one ever. Thanks UCSD.

By Imaani E

Jan 22, 2017

Great course - the problem sets were challenging and appropriate for the learning goals. For participants who have not been exposed to significant mathematical coursework, the mathematical notation may be intimidating at first, but is not an insurmountable obstacle.

By Daniel

Nov 04, 2017

This is a very good course. It is very difficult at first so I had to do it twice to complete it. It helps if you try to visualise the algorithms in your head, do them on paper and then try to write the pseudo code so it prints out all the steps that is being done.

By Divyanshu B

Aug 10, 2019

It was an awesome course. It helped me to learn many algorithms and specially i learned dynamic programming which was very useful for me. It also improved my thinking skills and also typing speed while practicing. I would recommend everyone to take this course.

By Chethan J

May 08, 2016

This course works on fundamental approaches, like divide and conquer, greedy algorithms and takes us to the more advanced dynamic approach which is ubiquitous and drives most of the modern applications.

Really beneficial to solve problems on a day to day basis.

By Praise O

Mar 30, 2020

A great course for a novice in algorithms without a CS degree. Gained an in-depth understanding of algorithms, when and how to implement them. Dynamic programming was the most challenging module in my opinion but once you grasp the concept the rest is cheese.

By Kaleb G

Sep 11, 2018

I've been programming professionally for 15 years, but I had a significant gap in my knowledge when it came to data structures and algorithms. This course helped me complete my skill set and regain a competitive advantage in the field. Thanks, instructors!

By sansid

Aug 17, 2017

loved the course, very well structured to develop algorithmic thinking. Assignments are great as well.

However, I did feel that the Dynamic programming lecture for week 05 could be slowed down or improved. There was way too much info put into one week. :)

By Nadiia M

Nov 12, 2017

I am very excited about this course. It helped me to get better understanding algorithms. It gives enough practical tasks to work on. I like the way teachers presented study material, especially Alexander Kulikov. Thank you! Can't wait to move forward!

By GAURAV C

Jul 20, 2017

This course helped me clear my algorithm concepts. The assignmenst at the end of each week, are very good. Concepts in the course were introduced briliantly with a comparison of different alogrithms and how each of them can solve a particular problem.

By Ayush S

Jul 22, 2018

The greatness of this course can be judged by the kind of programming assignments given at the end which actually test the learners. Highly recommend this course for people who are totally new to algorithms and want to kickstart their coding venture.

By Zuhaib U Z

Sep 02, 2019

I think I learned a lot in this course and there has been a significant change in the level of programming I can do now and the level of programming I used to do before this course. Also I would like to thank all the professors.

By Kocić O

Feb 25, 2016

This course does more then just teaching algorithms. It gives you insights and ideas that you can later use to build new algorithms. Personally, I think this is crucial, cause it helps you to build unique skill - reasoning about unknown problems.

By José A V M

Jun 03, 2016

Very straight forward, this course comes from the basics and completes the theory with practice to ensure learning. 100% recommended for those who are not familiar with algorithms or those who want to have practice implementing and coding.