Back to AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery

Learner Reviews & Feedback for AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery by The University of Edinburgh

"How do they know that?" Modern astronomy has made some astonishing discoveries - how stars burn and how black holes form; galaxies from the edge of the universe and killer rocks right next door; where the elements come from and how the expanding universe is accelerating. But how do we know all that? The truth is that astronomy would be impossible without technology, and every advance in astronomy is really an advance in technology. But the technology by itself is not enough. We have to apply it critically with a knowledge of physics to unlock the secrets of the Universe. Each week we will cover a different aspect of Astronomical technology, matching each piece of technology to a highlight science result. We will explain how the technology works, how it has allowed us to collect astronomical data, and, with some basic physics, how we interpret the data to make scientific discoveries. The class will consist of video lectures, weekly quizzes, and discussion forums. Each week there will be five videos, totalling approximately 40 minutes. They will be in a regular pattern - a short introduction, an example science story, an explanation of the key technology area, a look at how the technology is used in practice, and finally a look at what the future may hold....

EM
Jun 7, 2020

After completing the course, I was able to understand better some concepts in astronomy such as dark matter and dark energy as well as the technologies that helped uncover more truths in our universe.

BJ
Sep 22, 2020

The course was amazing especially when the instructor was explaining by using experiment instruments above all the way the instructors has taught me has completely made me understand the concepts.

26 - 50 of 226 Reviews for AstroTech: The Science and Technology behind Astronomical Discovery

By Ashish p

May 13, 2020

course content was great. You have covered most of the topics I was expecting. But I was also expecting some more detailed learning of each of the topic. I would like if you make one more course which much more detailed study and some mathematics. Thanks for making this course

By Emille G

Mar 5, 2018

Outstanding! I've gained a greater appreciation for physics and a far greater understanding of the role that it plays in observation and the technology developed. I feel confident to pursue further studies along these lines. Thank you for creating this wonderful course!

By Sai K

Oct 11, 2020

Just Awesome, The Additional Materials provided was excellent because for the freshers they get to know the best websites to view the information regarding Science.

You can pretty sure gain knowledge about the latest technology behind the Astronomical Discoveries.

By Fathima t

Aug 31, 2020

It was an amazing 6 week through wonders. The class was well organized .It's tending me to discover more and more ,after all I'm doing my graduation in physics . hope to work in astrophysics in future. a great thanks to Coursera and University of Edinburgh...

By Jorge L S N

Oct 27, 2019

My congratulations for the course. It has taken me much longer than I thought, but I always enjoyed it. The selected topics were excellent and the test questions were adequate. I will be waiting for a second part of the course.

Greetings from Lima, Peru.

By Josh C

Aug 15, 2017

This course is so good. It covers high level concepts but got me super interested in aspects of astronomy I didn't even know existed. The information is brief but really useful and gets one thinking about the broader picture. Thanks for a great course!

By Rocio N O C

Sep 28, 2020

Este curso es genial, te permite aprender tantas cosas acerca de la tecnología que esta tras los descubrimientos astronómicos con una explicación sencilla y accesible para cualquier persona, muy interesante, gracias a los maestros y a la universidad.

By Kinnari S B

May 5, 2020

Too good!Andy and Catherine don't just explain us things they make us feel like we are actually doing them especially the detector technology and spectroscopy part.I would surely recommend this course to one who is an astrophile + a tech enthusiast.

By Carla P M N

May 31, 2017

It gave me a more deep notion about how some of the most important space discoveries have been done and I'm truly amazed by their beautiful complexity and ingenuity, it also let me with the feeling that there is still so much more to understand.

By Sai G P

Great explanation and teaching! learnt a lot of new things and clarified my doubts. I would recommend this course to any budding Astronomer to under how do the devices work which are used to capture and understand the ever-expanding cosmos.

By BHOSLE S S

Jun 20, 2020

An excellent opportunity for astrophysics enthusiast for anyone in an enginnering or an applied physics background as you get a clear understanding of various celestial objects and how modern astronomy differs from the ancient astronomy.

By RAJA V M

Jul 25, 2020

This course helped me build my basics about astronomy. I now know things i couldn't have learnt otherwise. Such an intriguing course. And for an amateur astronomer this is definitely the course that I would recommend. Simply loved it.

By Priyanka V

Aug 24, 2020

This course was really interesting and it gave an insight of some of the essential topics of astronomy. I enjoyed watching all the videos and the concepts were explained in an easy and lucid manner by Andy and Catherine. Thank you!

By farid h i

I am excited to learning a new knowledge about

Physics and Astronomy. It is new experience to me in this course.Thanks for our lecturers/tutors for given this opportunity to learning this knowledge. And sorry for my poor English .

By ANSHUL S

Oct 1, 2020

Highly insightful and very basic and short course. Would appreciate if an advanced version of the course is taught as well, where one can learn some skills in practical astronomy. Maybe complex mathematical models or simulations

By Gustavo A Z D

Jun 25, 2020

Excellent course, it was an amazing opportunity to learn from very kind and smart persons like Prof. Andy and Prof. Catherine, I really learned a lot about space, things that I never thought they existed, and how things work.

By Vivek S

Jul 4, 2020

ONE OF THE BEST INSTRUCTORS I HAVE EVER STUDIED UNDER. Ms.Catherine and Mr.Andy did an exceptional job in offering us a FUN and KNOWLEDGABLE course on BASIC ASTROPHYSICS!!! Must learn course to all inspiring Astrophysicists!

By Utkarsh D

May 15, 2020

It was a great experience learning about the universe and the modern technology that we use to understand the nature of the universe and explain scientifically about the various phenomenon taking place in space.

By Shubham K S

Nov 17, 2020

This is course really great. I learnt a lot from this course and got to know, how astronomers are using technologies to detect new galaxies and star. Really great course. Thank you Coursera and Thank you, professors.

By Bessie S

May 14, 2020

The maths questions struck a great balance between challenging intuition but accessible (maths skills wise) and the explanations of concepts were really clear! Enjoyed and would definitely recommend :)

By EMMANUEL M

Jun 8, 2020

By Biswajit J

Sep 23, 2020

By Gurmanjot S

Sep 25, 2020

Really well planned and thought out course. Though, I have one suggestion, can you please make a separate video on live demonstration of a telescope, just like you did in case of spectroscopy.

By Antonio B

Jul 11, 2017

Explanations are clear and insightful. The concepts discussed are far from simple, but they are exposed in a very natural way. An extended, deeper version or a follow up course would be nice!