Back to C++ For C Programmers, Part A

Learner Reviews & Feedback for C++ For C Programmers, Part A by University of California, Santa Cruz

4.4

This course is for experienced C programmers who want to program in C++. The examples and exercises require a basic understanding of algorithms and object-oriented software....

FC

Jun 12, 2016

A very good courser, especially for people like me that have a lot experience in coding c program but want to learn something more to advance my career. I'll recommend this course to my friend.

RH

Oct 16, 2016

Just right for programmers seeking to update their skills to the new V11 C++. I recommend getting the book by the author that helps along with a text or Coursera course on Algorithms.

576 - 600 of 614 Reviews for C++ For C Programmers, Part A

By Pushpendra H

Aug 12, 2020

Good

By Tuo L

Oct 22, 2017

I gave this course two star for taking my responsibility. The course is bad designed. The homework has less clue and you may only find 50% or less related knowledge from the lectures. The final quiz is ridiculous (too many questions about number calculation and I cannot believe there are questions like what did D. Ritchie B. Stroustrup E. Dijkstra L. Euler do or invent?!!!). It seems that the professor or his assistant did not put too much effort into providing this course. Though I learned something from it and it pushed me to learn several c++ skills, in a google searching way.

By Dimitris K

Jan 14, 2019

The video sessions are nice and very informative. However, the examples in the videos are a "toy" compared to the assignment of implementing a Monte Carlo simulation for Dijkstra's algo. The directions in the description of the assignment are very poorly written and the specs are blurry and difficult to clarify by yourself. The MST assignment is much easier, but still the directions are not well prepared.

By weimian

Sep 2, 2018

no Chinese subtitles and it is really hard for me to figure all the English subtitles and knowledge. I feel that upset concerning no Chinese translation and I think it should be improved sooner or later. or Chinese learners like me would not learn as much as students who have English as their mother languages.

By Nadav S

Sep 19, 2017

Very superficial. I found that I know c++ to a limited extent, and that for practical uses I must learn a significant amount of information from other sources. In short, this course is an introduction but does not give you enough tools to call yourself a c++ programmer.

By Amit J

Mar 16, 2016

The instructor speaks too slow. Teaching concepts that are not valid anymore. e.g. prefer inline over function call, const vs #define, declaring variable anywhere in the code etc...

The topics are too small and too much time is devoted to them.

By Nishchaya B

Jul 30, 2017

The instructor is way too boring. I've tried hard to watch these lectures at least thrice but I loose interest after a while. There's a lack of energy and no connection with the audience.

By Vedanth R

Sep 16, 2019

Very low effort put in designing the course. Lecture content is not useful for the most part. Assignments are peer-reviewed instead of designing test-cases.

By Asterios K

Apr 7, 2017

Lots of overlap in the videos, not a lot of information on C++ features, too few hands-on activities with the features taught.

By PANNAGA U

Jul 13, 2020

Not good he talks in a mood that the doesn't like teching us so not able to understand some concepts

By Ranip H

Nov 16, 2016

Very poorly designed course material. Everything has been split up.

By MANOJ M

May 12, 2020

please enroll if you got some basic knowledge in c++

By AISHWARYA H R 1

May 14, 2020

lengthy videos must be shortened.....

By KUSUMA D

By mohamed a m

Jan 14, 2022

thanks all

By UTKARSH L

GOOD

By Kshitija R

Jul 15, 2020

By Catherine C

May 17, 2021

The level of this course was all over the place. One assignment was about 10 lines of code and the next one was to implement Dijkstra's minimum path algorithm. The lectures did not focus on the correct topics to do the assignments. The explanations of the the algorithms were fine, but not the programming. The lectures tended to use the adjacency matrix formulation for the graphs. Although the assignment allowed you to use adjacency matrix, it seemed that the description preferred the pointer formulation.

I don't think the specialization is organized well as the first two classes are intro level C programming classes. But then the C++ course expects students to have at least a year of computer programming. So the expectations are much higher for this course. The course also seems to be no longer monitored by any TA's and most students do not post anything meaningful in the discussion forums. So there is relatively no help.

By Arunava N

Aug 15, 2016

Instructor speaks too slow and sometimes hardly audible with my earphones plugged in with 100% sound. Incredibly slow paced. Coffee must!!! Too much of story and history and introduction. Much less material presented for concepts shown. Much of the lecture time is wasted on things which does not matter, for example Djikstra shortest path... I would be more interested to know about the algorithm than a huge lecture on who is Djikstra, and also would like to have some exercise to implement the same and realise. Very unsatisfied with the course. But there is no other courses offered for C++ programming language in English Language. Not worth the time.

By Aparajith S

Oct 20, 2020

peer reviewing system is pathetic and has no basic check to neglect one bad review among two good reviews. I received 3 reviews of my week 4 assignment which was graded >8/10 by two peers and one person graded me a 4 on 10 with a useless comment of "try again". this made my grade go below 50% for this assignment. There is no algorithm to remove reviews that do not lie in close proximity to the other two reviews. I literally am frustrated for almost a week to get fresh reviewers for this assignment. unfortunately, this would be my last coursera course.

By Austin T

Dec 11, 2019

No lecture slides are provided. The camera switches to the speaker too often not letting the video slides at least be viewed. No significant readings are provided at all. The instructor never runs code throughout the entire class on a machine, he just verbally goes through it.

I would not recommend taking this C++ class. There are plenty of others offered on this and other sites that I imagine have to be better than this one.

By Alperen S A

Oct 14, 2020

this course contains great futures, but ... If you are a newbie, please don't enroll, professor usually covers only the surface of the subject, Nevertheless it is good course if you have passion for searching, reading stackoverflow etc.