Back to Computational Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Computational Neuroscience by University of Washington

This course provides an introduction to basic computational methods for understanding what nervous systems do and for determining how they function. We will explore the computational principles governing various aspects of vision, sensory-motor control, learning, and memory. Specific topics that will be covered include representation of information by spiking neurons, processing of information in neural networks, and algorithms for adaptation and learning. We will make use of Matlab/Octave/Python demonstrations and exercises to gain a deeper understanding of concepts and methods introduced in the course. The course is primarily aimed at third- or fourth-year undergraduates and beginning graduate students, as well as professionals and distance learners interested in learning how the brain processes information....

CM

Jun 15, 2017

This course is an excellent introduction to the field of computational neuroscience, with engaging lectures and interesting assignments that make learning the material easy.

JB

May 25, 2019

I really enjoyed this course and think that there was a good variety of material that allowed people of many different backgrounds to take at least one thing away from this.

26 - 50 of 133 Reviews for Computational Neuroscience

By Mtakuja L

Apr 03, 2017

Nice course !

By Zejun W

Oct 13, 2016

Wonderful course for introduction this field. Good luck!

By Diego B

Apr 07, 2017

I must admit that, before starting this course, I was skeptic about an online course on Computational Neuroscience. My initial feelings totally reversed during the first weeks of the course. I really appreciated the effort of Rajesh and Adrienne to explain the complex mechanisms of neurons and brain functions in a clear and enjoyable way.

By Peter G

Nov 17, 2016

Great course, but it requires quite a bit of mathematics/physics to get through. Enough material in there for three or four courses. The quizzes are not hard though - in fact I'd preferred it if the programming exercises had been more challenging.

By Marta M

Mar 11, 2017

It was by far the best course I've taken on Coursera. For someone not dealing with math in their everyday life it could have been a bit challenging, but I really enjoyed watching how math, physics and neuroscience use the same concepts and how various models can be interchangeable.

Main subject was super-interesting, but I also enjoyed how it showcased how mathematical concepts can be used and applied. It's really disappointing that such approach is not that common in formal education many of us have received... For such interesting topics you presented I would go back to university and learned differential equations once again, seeing some purpose in them at last. I always knew that mathematics is a beautiful language, but during my education no-one showed me such profound and exciting problems to express them in it.

The instructors were great and guest lectures were fun as well. I am almost regretting choice of my everyday computer science career when hearing about problems you get to solve :) Thanks a lot! This was definitely one of the best online courses I've seen and time spent on it was not wasted.

By Richard B

Nov 11, 2016

Excellent overview of the different areas of computational neuroscience taught by engaging academics.

By Benjamin S

Mar 17, 2018

Awesome course, awesome introduction to the mathematical backgrounds as well!

By Chema A E

Oct 15, 2017

great content and teachers, delighted with addicional content for maths and the good vibe of everybody

By 刘仕琪

Mar 11, 2017

The teacher is funny!

By Tom R

Apr 23, 2017

Really great course to supplement reading of Dayan and Abbott's Theoretical Neuroscience text. Programming assignments were really helpful in getting practical understanding of concepts. Only wish there were more graded programming assignments!

By Efren S

Dec 12, 2017

Just amazing! This course has made a great impression on me and rekindled my love for physics.

By Tucker K

Mar 11, 2018

Very interesting and well taught course. I came in with a background in CS and some ML and very little experience with neuroscience and felt like I learned a good bit about neuro and developed a more solid understanding of the principles underlying ML techniques.

By Kanchana R

Jan 29, 2017

Very informative. I started the course as I am an undergraduate who is involved in a research and development project on Spike Timing Dependent Plasticity. This course opened me into the literature on STDP and helped me understand the relevant material.

By Amir Y

Aug 02, 2017

I greatly enjoyed this course. It has a nice structure, and the progress is quite reasonable assuming you have decent background in linear algebra and calculus derivations. They still offer great supplementary resources for those lacking necessary background knowledge. Overall, I'd recommend it.

By Manya A

Apr 03, 2017

Excellent course, very clearly and well explained, suitable for beginners. Also, Rajesh's sense of humor makes the course very enjoyable :) Highly recommended!

By Ravinder S

Jul 26, 2017

Loved this course and will give me direction in grad school however a lot of the information still ending up being over my head, even after watching supplementary videos. This may be a fault of my own instead of a fault of the class. Really enjoyed the first/last teacher.

By Sergey A R

Nov 04, 2016

Te course captures from the very beginning!

The lectures and work with REAL data (despite it's obvious simplicity) will hold you till the end.

The confirmation of the theory, calculated with my own hands, with the practical results from the laboratories.

It's just a first step, the next one is in supplemental materials, and then proceed farther and farther.

Well, and a fly in the ointment :) a lack of programming through the course, we can do more! :)

By Swaraj K

Apr 21, 2018

Very nice course. Interesting Quizzes and excellent instructors

By Maxwell G

Mar 16, 2017

I loved this course. It is an excellent introduction to the realm of Computation Neuroscience. The lecturers presented the concepts clearly and effectively. Dr. Rao was especially great. However, those looking to take this course should have some knowledge of Differential Equations, Calculus, Linear Algebra, and either Python or Matlab before taking this course.

I had not taken very much Calculus or Differential Equations prior to taking this course, and I had to do a fair amount of external research to understand some aspects of the lectures.

The professors who teach this course do a great job of explaining the concepts and ideas of the topic, rather than just reading lots of formulas. They break the math down to help the viewer intuitively understand what each one is doing. Someone taking this course who doesn’t not have that solid of a math background will have some trouble, but the course won’t be impossible. A bit of Programming experience with either Python (2 or 3) or Matlab, however is a must.

By Adam E

May 22, 2017

Comprehensive and challenging.

By Mehdi H

Oct 28, 2017

Thank you for an amazing experience. I really liked the course.

By Andrés Z

Apr 18, 2018

By far one of the most complete MOOCs in the subject. Highly recommended.

By AmirHossein E

Mar 26, 2017

This course is an absolute must for those interested in computational neuroscience. The professors are very knowledgeable and the course is very rigorous. The techniques introduced in this course are useful and the supplementary material is enough to last for you months of reading on this topic.

By Aditya V

Dec 12, 2017

loved it ...learned alot

By CongMa

Oct 09, 2016

It is fantastic. For me, it could be much better if it has Chinese lyrics~ Thanks a lot~