Back to The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

AY
Dec 30, 2020

The course had some ups and downs, but it was a good challenge and I did it! I learned so much and I never knew I could do this kind of course. I have gained so much knowledge now from when I started.

DL
Feb 23, 2021

This course was amazing and helped me understand so much more about networking, things I never thought I would know or understand. Very fulfilling and I can't wait to use this knowledge going forward.

7501 - 7525 of 7,702 Reviews for The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking

Sep 19, 2020

great

By Kate W

Dec 2, 2021

Good

By daniel k

Mar 11, 2021

hard

By Kacham A

Feb 23, 2021

Good

By Pat D B

Jun 1, 2020

By LAILI H

Mar 19, 2021

By Paty

Jan 17, 2021

overall: It could be simplified and focused on quiz questions and modules, etc as well. The lesson content is extremely dense and not easy to grasp. It seems too complicated and not useful for learners.

Quiz modules set-up requirements could be explicitly stated

e.g. one exam only works on Chrome; another exam fails students without explicitly explaining the rules for failure. Even after submitting correct questions the quiz shows failure. (requires refresh of entire page, should consider eliminating the "refresh" question button that results in a fail. This is not a browser issue from my experience).

If you update the above, I'm sure you will have fewer frustrated students.

I feel sorry for the teacher who is getting heat for this module. If there is a curriculum creator, it seems he/she simply copy and pasted info and created an exam without checking whether the content was clear in the lessons. As a credentialed teacher, I'd eliminate most of the complicated wordage, lengthy explanations. I'd add examples/visuals, and makes sure the quiz is relevant to what was discussed in the lesson. In addition, I'd make sure the instructions and the requirements for the quiz was CLEARLY and explicitly mentioned.

Interesting note: ipv6 compression tools on the web may be producing wrong answers, or the answers in the quiz are wrong. I'm guessing maybe the web tools may be missing parameters in their algorithm that produces wrong answers? I'm assuming and hoping the quiz correct answers are correct.

By Erik S

Jun 12, 2020

I think the course was alright. The instructor while very friendly, and making an effort to be engaging, seemed like he was reading off of slides, versus actually working to teach a relatively complex subject such as Networking. I took extensive notes, but even then, it seemed that the explanations given for some of the core topics and vocabulary had no rhyme or reason to the emphasis placed on them, and sometimes assumed prior knowledge not covered within the class. In other words, a concept that only was covered for less than a minute might be tested extensively in the final exam, but one that might've been covered for an entire video might only have a single question, or none at all in the final. The jokes, while cute, sometimes were incredibly distracting, and would sidetrack off of some core concepts leaving me having to watch a certain segment up to three times. Finally, some of the interactive lessons were amazing at teaching complex concepts in a somewhat fun, and interactive environment, but they also would occasionally be somewhat buggy, with one of the last ones not loading at all. I think this course could be a little better prepared to become an actual interactive classroom, this one at least seemed more like a very bright student's presentation on what they know on the topic of networking.

By Tabathia S

Mar 12, 2021

In multiple places, it felt very disorganized and in multiple places "I should call out" completely reverses what was said before.

Some spots felt like the videos were out of order, a topic was presented then the opposite was presented, but then it was switched back to the first topic. Don't explain dynamic addresses switch to static and then return to dynamic.

If there are 13 AUTHORITIVE root servers say there are 13 authoritative root servers. Don't say there are 13 root servers and then say "I should call out" there are more than 13 root servers. If VPN is not a protocol don't call it a protocol and then have "I should call out" it's not really a protocol. If it makes the topic easier to understand state that a simplified way is this, or at one point it was this way, but now we have expanded to this way.

I want to go into networking and taking these courses to get started while working on certificates for networking, but this course was very confusing and difficult. Even after already taking networking classes. I considered giving up since everything was all over the place.

By Nick S

Jan 16, 2021

Lots of basic errors that weren't corrected in the videos, simple errors that make it difficult for people learning for the first time. Ex: 1+1=3 then a window pops up saying "Oops! We meant to say 1+1=2" there are way too many of these throughout all the IT support course. Another big issue is that when I get stuck and go to forums there are so many others lost and confused by the videos and explanations given (understandable with it being tougher material) but then there are no instructors/mentors responding to help! There are tons of unanswered threads with people like me who couldn't grasp some of these concepts because they weren't explained enough and the only people answering them are other students taking the class who found it through youtube or people who already know the info and are just taking the class to refresh their knowledge. Really good program but there are too many errors in my opinion and too much room for improvement; it seems like they just wanted to get it out rather then get it done right.

By Richard K

Oct 5, 2021

I found the instruction needlessly confusing. The instructor sort of rambled making no distinction between needed facts and ancillary information. When questioned, i was asked to respond to questions based on one sentence of content. Their was little to "drill down" on as everything was a mono-tone of boring lecture. Yes, the information was correct, but much of it was presented without benefit of instructive example. Just a little time taken to show the "how" of operations would have made a great difference. Instead, i struggled to maintain interest and in the end i settled for the passing grade ( 92 ) instead of pushing for my best. I felt like this just had to end. Worst, i started to doubt myself and the value of this course. But, shaking that off i intend to go to the next level and do well their. Bits and bytes was disappointing

By Mike A

Jul 13, 2020

While a lot of the information in this course is useful, it's presented very densely and with a fair amount of superfluous information surrounding it. I appreciate the desire to include the origins of technology, but there's a point of diminishing returns on the benefits of understanding something that no one ever encounters or uses as a modern day technology specialist. The information that was relevant was incredibly useful, but the presentation, particularly the horrendous puns and jokes that are delivered through poorly held back laughter, was irritating enough that I almost completely abandoned the course and cancelled my subscription to the specialization. I know that's a stupid, petty reason to dislike it so much, but I also don't think I should highly recommend something that I often found inaccessible or off-putting.

By Jesse G

Feb 8, 2021

I feel that the course titled The Bits and Bytes of Computer Networking wasn't really what I was expecting it to be. The lessons did not really go that much in depth and I felt that I really didn't learn the absolute fundamentals of computer networking. In most cases throughout this course, I had to find additional materials to help me understand what the course was trying to present to me. Even the provided supplemental readings (with perhaps the Wikipedia articles as an exception) failed to give me any kind of understanding of what I was supposed to learn in that particular lesson. Also, I feel it would have been beneficial to me, as a somewhat networking novice, if the lessons were more hands-on with scenarios of what I might encounter if I were in a networking role.

By Kip S

Aug 27, 2020

While the overall course was great, I find that some of the plug-ins were not explained properly and this accounted for the low score. Please see below.

Week 2: Graded Assignment - Plug In: Routing Paths and Subnet. It wasn't clear that if an incorrect answer was given, I had to restart the test.

Week 5: Graded Assignment: Wireless Channels. Each question was answered and checked, submitted the final results several times and my score was always 0. After several attempts, I reviewed the discussion forum and saw that this problem was not unique to me and I should not have any issues if I used FireFox for this portion of the assessment. I did and received a correct score after my 2nd attempt on FireFox.

By Tanner J T P

Apr 16, 2019

These were pretty cool courses that offer a lot of knowledge but the part where that talk about getting you information out to companies to help you start your career is fully true. They send you a survey that you select the companies you would like to share you information with out of they're selection, and that's it. There is no other follow up or anything as far as I've seen but I've been done with the program for workin on four months no with no other leads to helping me start my career. So it's great maybe to help boost a career you're already in but DO NOT TAKE THIS COURSE if you are using it to help START a career. Hope this helps some people out like me looking for a way into the industry.

By Tyler W

Sep 5, 2019

Concepts are not explained in detail, and even external links for additional learning are often covering concepts that are far past the level being taught in the course. Honestly starting to think that this course may be a waste of money, especially if this certificate isn't recognized by any employers. So much information is either missing or just skimmed over. The videos are lacking detail information and it's applications, and seem like a series of YouTube videos teaching old people how to use a smart phone, rather than a real class. Then the tests come asking questions on topics that weren't even fully covered in the videos or readings.

By Matthew M

Oct 20, 2020

I like the course and the video learning. But, the labs are not good!!!!!! The directions are confusing, you assume people know what you mean, we are trying to learn and you make these tests and labs so damn confusing. Why not have a video tutorial or a walk trough tutorial option, cmon Google!!! I am sitting here trying to do the next work quiz and the directions are written so half ass and confusing, there is a game to write the instructions for a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich, Google you should look that up and write your directions accordingly!!!!!!!!!!!! Please fix the labs give people an example of what you mean.

By Jared K

Feb 28, 2019

The peer review graded portion was just crazy to do. Keywords and definitions are basically all it takes to pass it while putting in key phrases of how a packet is transferred. To convert 10 IPv6 addresses was just plain over the top. The worst part about it, and I didn't catch this until my 3rd reset, it is CASE SENSITIVE! Come on, Coursera/Google. This 2nd course needed to be like 10 weeks with the lack of amount of information that was given. As long as you memorize key words and phrases, this shouldn't be a problem week. I really don't think I learned any more than I already knew with this course sadly.

By Grayson L

Feb 13, 2021

So far this course is only ok. I do not feel like it is giving me a solid foundation. They try to cover so much information, a lot of it very technical in a little time. They tell you to rewatch the videos and read the supplementary reading. The supplementary reading is ONLY wikipedia. And do not get me started on who scripted this--I don't know what I am going to do if I hear the words "I should call out" or "spoiler alert" one more time. The teachers, during the lesson videos seem very inauthentic. Google would have been better just letting the teachers free style the lesson.

By Joe B M

Apr 6, 2018

Giving it three stars . Some more interactive flash would have made the course better. I also dislike the fact that while testing with the plug in if you make one mistake you have to reset the whole plugin. Also 10 IPV6 to translate in plugin then another one on final come on . Four translations would have been enough. An area of improvement would be add video on Ethernet RJ45 twisted pair creation . Maybe a virtual module where the student correctly has to form twisted pairs. Could have added some info on ping of death , ICMP flooding, port probing etc...

By Bill C

Apr 15, 2021

Course material not covered well in videos .....to much guessing you have to do on the test !

to hard to get help maybe a study group is needed from the start. content not clearly explained?

instructor need to make things clearer ..too much jumping around from one concept to another before we have a complete grasp of what he trying to teach or how things work together ..quizzes help ..not as easy subject to teach any way.

By Natalie N

Aug 9, 2020

Way too difficult follow-up to Course 1. I've been simultaneously working on Course 3 to stay afloat in my intensive IT Support program using this Coursera material and I'm finding that Course 3 material is much simpler. The concepts simply don't build upon previous concepts in a way that makes sense. Also, a lot of the quiz questions are not covered in this course and some of them deal with 20 year old technology.

By MICHAEL R

Apr 24, 2018

There is a ton of wasted time in the lessons. The guy repeats himself, gives redundant / useless information, repeats himself some more, and occasionally tries to be funny and cute which just makes me cringe to death. The lessons do not focus on the same information that's in the big quizzes. Like, the videos are about A B C and D, and hint at the existence of E, and then the quizzes only ask about D and E.