Back to COVID-19 Contact Tracing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for COVID-19 Contact Tracing by Johns Hopkins University

The COVID-19 crisis has created an unprecedented need for contact tracing across the country, requiring thousands of people to learn key skills quickly. The job qualifications for contact tracing positions differ throughout the country and the world, with some new positions open to individuals with a high school diploma or equivalent. In this introductory course, students will learn about the science of SARS-CoV-2 , including the infectious period, the clinical presentation of COVID-19, and the evidence for how SARS-CoV-2 is transmitted from person-to-person and why contact tracing can be such an effective public health intervention. Students will learn about how contact tracing is done, including how to build rapport with cases, identify their contacts, and support both cases and their contacts to stop transmission in their communities. The course will also cover several important ethical considerations around contact tracing, isolation, and quarantine. Finally, the course will identify some of the most common barriers to contact tracing efforts -- along with strategies to overcome them....

SF

I learned so much about COVID 19 and what everyone's concerns are in keeping safe. This course will give me the ability to help many people understand how they protect those they come in contact with.

RC

Excellent entry level informational course for not only those seeking clinical knowledge of SARS-2 CoVid, but also the gain a fundamental understanding of the process and mechanics of contact tracing.

76 - 100 of 10,000 Reviews for COVID-19 Contact Tracing

By Ervine S

Nov 10, 2020

These Modules are very clear and easy to understand. I appreciate all the things I learned from these. Keep up the great work and let us work together to continue to fight against Covid-19. Thank you.

By Colleen M W

Oct 22, 2020

Excellent all around!

By Rebecca T

Course was ok, couple of annoying glitches where you just touch your screen and a video starts all over again no matter where you are in a video very annoying! Also promised free course and a FREE certificate but it is trying to charge me for the certificate!

By Lisa K

I loved the content of the course. It was very informative. The pace of the person speaking could have been a bit faster. It also seemed somewhat sexist that "Drew" was the one always making mistakes, while "Amy" was nearly perfect.

By Patricia L

Mar 9, 2021

Terrific course with a wonderful instructor. Very to the point. Informative slides. If you take this course seriously, then you will learn the important Contact Tracing information you need for a job.

By Ian D

There are some things I disagree with; while I know it has unfortunately become the standard, accepted way of doing things in government and industry, paraphrasing and reflecting in the ways taught in this course have always irritated the hell out of me when I've been on the receiving end - they sound insincere, formulaic and contrived. Friends and family *never* say, "I understand that you're feeling blah blah blah right now..." - it's fake and it sounds it. Such things are uttered only by representatives of institutions, and for that reason they undermine rapport rather than building it. Or at least they do when *I'm* on the other end of the phone. Saying the case's or contact's name can be good, but not more than two or three times in one conversation. If you do it too often it comes to sound the same way as that fake paraphrasing/reflecting: like a transparent ploy to make you think that this person who doesn't know the first thing about you is in fact a familiar friend.

I may have had some other complaints, but they were minor, and any complaints I did have were more than overshadowed by the pleasure of listening to Dr. Gurley's delightful voice and vocal mannerisms - she sounds whip-smart and adorable, a wildly appealing combination of traits. Be still my heart. =)

Coursera's navigation system does take some getting used to, and I kept thinking of one reviewer who complained that there was no certificate; I suspect he never figured out how the navigation works and thought he'd completed the course when in fact he'd only completed the first section. Be aware that the course takes around five hours to complete and comprises many modules and quizzes along the way, so if you think you've finished it in an hour or so...you haven't.

Overall, a very satisfactory course (and it is kinda cool to have a certificate from Johns Hopkins). Thank you, Dr. Gurley!

By Nicholas C

This is a very timely and well-thought-out course. My initial intention for taking this course was to understand more of how technology (like Apple and Google's contact tracing) could work for COVID-19. However, after this course, I now see that there is a lot more to contact tracing beyond just using technology. The human aspects to this that are just as, if not more, important than the choice of technology. The sections on the responsibilities of a contact tracer when dealing with sensitive subjects such as illegal immigrants, etc were especially eye-opening. I especially learned a lot from the vignettes showing all the different interactions between the different roles.

By Amelia L

It was well put together. I thought the examples were realistic and it wasn't too easy. I did have trouble with the mechanics of the "provide your feedback" quizzes but went online instead of using my phone to get those submitted without error. I don't want to hurt feelings and I'm sure this is an individual preference, but I could not listen to the instructor's voice. It bothered me because every time she went to the low tones it became scratchy, gurgling or vibrato. Also, I was able to read it more quickly and click on the text when there were visuals I needed to see. I enjoyed taking the course. Thank you.

By Julian M L

Overall, the course was excellent. However, there was one or two answers that might need some clarification. I believe they the options were along the lines of talking with a case for 8 min. The system had the correct answer as this not being a significant scenario of transmission. However, this all depends on if the person conversing was 6 feet away (which it did not specify). If the person was right in front of the case, then it does not matter if the contact was for 8 min or greater than 15 min. The physical distance was too close and would therefore classify as a contact regardless of duration.

By Somesh N

I really liked this course because it helped me understand how contact tracing works and if need arises I will be able to step up to do the job. I just have one trivial thing to add. The tone of the narrator seems a little plain and not exiciting. A little enthusiasm will do the job. As far as the quality of the content and the delivery is concerned I really liked it all including the questionaires. I would Iike to do more courses like this. Also, if they could suggest what further steps could I take to be better equipped to handle such situations that would be helpful.

By Joyce G

Dec 6, 2020

The course was very informative and provided accurate information about COVID-19. I have a better understanding of the virus, how to deal with cases and contacts and how to better serve the community.

By Christine C

Overly long & redundant. Amy's script was patronizing, she spoke in sophomoric "yeah" phrases, & she was not the great example for contact interactions you portrayed her to be. I am appalled that a 6 hour course sponsored by the Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health did not provide professional continuing education credits.

By Paula M

The course was very well organized with resources for different learning styles. There were clear visual notes on the slides, as well as the script below the video/slides. The resources available, such as the glossary, helped to bring clarity to the topics. Dr. Emily Gurley paced the course well for all types of learners. Her presentation style fit well for the online approach to learning. The quizzes kept students on track with our learning trajectory. I only had one difficulty - the discussion area was not functioning. I had only a couple of questions, but would have appreciated being able to discuss these. It really did not hamper my learning and overall it was a very positive learning experience.

By Garalynn H

May 22, 2020

This course contains a wealth of information including many lists, definitions, and steps. It would be so nice if the course could remain available for review after passing the course, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It might even be nice if a manual or hardcopy booklet could be available.

The videos were wonderful and the actors were great.

I think the course still needs to be fine-tuned, and might benefit by being sent over to the English Department for editing of spelling, formatting, and punctuation marks. Clarity is very important in written presentations, especially from higher schools of learning.

The course did not indicate what value, if any, is placed on getting the certificate if one wants to pursue a job in contact tracing or how to go about getting such a job.

I certainly learned a lot and am thankful that such course.

By Henry S

May 22, 2020

The course so far is quite easy, the information is well laid out. However I feel like this course is 2 or 3 weeks behind where we are in understanding COVID-19. For example there's no mention of the fact that the CDC now says that 35% of infected people are asymptomatic. There's no mention of Remdesivir which is now being used to treat critically ill and there's also no mention of the fact that non critically ill people often have symptoms COVID-19 for much longer than 10 days. (I can vouch for this myself from my own personal experience.) It would be great to see a schedule for updating the course as our understanding seems to change almost daily.

By Anne M A

This course was clear, concise, and navigation was fluid. A concern noted was that the scenarios/skits did not incorporate some problems that could be encountered during a contact tracer call, such as, what to do if the person was very angry and yelled or was mean to the tracer. The skits assumed everyone would answer their phone, and did not address what to do if the tracer encountered an answering machine or voicemail. I learned a lot in this course.

By Donald G B

May 15, 2020

This course was helpful, and I would recommend it to others.

The production was well done; the instruction was effective.

The use of the plural pronoun in the singular context (to avoid gender bias) was not always uniformly used, leading to some errors, I believe.

There were minor errors in some of the latter half of the course.

I believe that some of the answers on the tests were incorrect; others were debatable, in my opinion.

Thank you.

By Sharon K

It was very drawn out and most of the information was common sense.

By Michael K

May 16, 2020

I was under the impression that if I took this course at this time, there would be no charge for a certificate of successful completion of the course. You should check to see if I am correct that I was mislead by notices you gave early on in the material that this would be a no charge certificate.

Michael Kelly

phone 443-578-8368

By Angie P

May 23, 2020

I was required to take this course. First of all, this course needs to be directed toward licensed health care professionals, social workers and therapists. I am none of the above. It is absolutely out of my scope of practice to be considered a Contact Tracer. If someone is a case or contact they need DIRECT contact with health care providers.... not a middle man. Those of us who are not health care professionals have no business talking to people about symptoms and any illness they may have. PLUS..... you lost my respect when alleged sick patient Annette said something like "yes, I saw in the news how bad this is" You must be kidding me. You just helped to confirm this is media driven. This is just my honest review and opinion.

By Cheryl T

Enjoyed this informative course. As someone who develops curricula and teaches crisis management, I would have liked to see something more specific in the course about how best to disclose a positive diagnosis, as this can be hard for beginners ... dealing with the case's immediate reaction, even if it was anticipated.Also, something along the lines of "working with difficult people" in the section on complexity and people. Overall, however, I thought the course met the objectives and provided a solid foundation for a potential new contact tracer.

By Raymond L K

This was a very informative course. Some of the content contained could be worded differently. There are a few items in the communication part of the course that could come across as patronizing not empathizing. This, just in my opinion, could definitely be off putting to younger people. This is not a knock on the course or the content creators, just an aspect of society that may be encountered during the contact process. Thank you for this great course and a better understanding of COVID-19.

By Tania L M

Enjoyable to learn a new skill. The presenter is very articulate and the explanations are well presented. The slides, notes, ability to save and take snapshots are very useful for reference later. Was particularly pleased to learn exactly what the incubation and infectious timelines are as well as how to address a case or contact about a very personal matter. Bearing the barer of bad news is not easy and this course is an eye opener as to the importance of contact tracing and how to be effective.

By Samantha G

The information was easy to understand. I preferred to use the transcript at the bottom of the slides to read and follow the information. The course is geared towards most forms of learners not really able to incorporate kinesthetic learning since it is an online course. I also like that you can reference the course once completed.

By Aditya U

Jul 14, 2020

Very interactive course , with precise and to-the-point information.

It really helped me gain a good and knowledgeable insight about the COVID-19 .

Thanks Johns Hopkins University , and of course , Coursera ! Cheers.