Back to The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will get an introduction to the main tools and ideas in the data scientist's toolbox. The course gives an overview of the data, questions, and tools that data analysts and data scientists work with. There are two components to this course. The first is a conceptual introduction to the ideas behind turning data into actionable knowledge. The second is a practical introduction to the tools that will be used in the program like version control, markdown, git, GitHub, R, and RStudio....
Highlights
Foundational tools
(243 Reviews)
Introductory course
(1056 Reviews)

SF

Apr 15, 2020

As a business student from Bangladesh who is aspiring to be a data analyst in near future, I love this course very much. The quizzes and assessments were the places to check how much I exactly learnt.

LR

Sep 08, 2017

It was really insightful, coming from knowing almost nothing about statistics or experimental design, it was easy to understand while not feeling shallow. Just the right amount of information density.

26 - 50 of 6,124 Reviews for The Data Scientist’s Toolbox

By Anh T N

Jul 24, 2020

Very basic stuff and very dull, monotone computer-synthesized voice. The quizzes are also so easy you may as well not take them.

By Francisco J O D

Aug 09, 2020

I'm a web developer who is interested in a career in the Data field. That means I know version control and I have more than basic computer knowledge.

I read 1 star reviews' and found people saying lots of things, for example:

1) "Having a course that teaches you how to install programs is very basic and lazy"

The Data Science field sounds challenging to me. Even though I know how to install programs, this easy approach makes the course seems achievable for me. I'm thankful for this, because I guarantee this course will suit people with different academic backgrounds and since it's not really complicated or difficult, it is in fact a very welcoming introduction for a field that might scare people.

Even though I thought this course was going to dig deeper into Data Science topics, the title of the course states it clearly: Data Scientist's Tool Box.

2) "The robotic voice is so boring and distracting I couldn't finish the course"

It wasn't for me. In fact, it was better. I found it less distracting than watching a human being talking.

Also, I think the way they explained why they make the course videos this way is genius. It makes you want to learn Data Science, which I think is one of the most important things a teacher should do: get you excited about the subject.

This course is intended to be completed in 4 week, I finished it in a week.

I do think it's a good starting point and I didn't find it "too basic" at all.

Give it a try if you've never been a tech dude or dudette.

By Senthil K M

Nov 11, 2016

Impressive explanation on the subject., Freshers with no knowledge about the domain can easily understand the subject. Thank you so much for such a fantastic MOOC mode of learning possibility. Love it all.

Nov 12, 2017

Really impressed with the completeness of the learning environment. I would rate this more highly than a traditional classroom because of the interaction and opportunity to go over concepts repeadedly.

By Zahscha G

I enjoyed the format of this course. It was a good quick introduction to some Data Science concepts, R, and Git. I liked that the same material was available in video/audio as well as reading material.

By Clifton H

Oct 16, 2018

Straightforward and the tasks aligned well with the instruction. Examples were used to good effect. Highly recommend using the course forums if you're stuck on a problem (especially the final project).

By Darky C

Nov 28, 2018

Pretty good in explaining the basics of data science

By Adeyemi O A

Jan 10, 2019

Very good course for beginner in data science

By JEFFERSON D S N

Aug 31, 2018

SIMPLESMENTE SENSACIONAL !

By Maximiliano F M

Aug 13, 2020

Its a basic course to learn general terms of data science. It helps you to set up all the programs that you need to start in this discipline: RStudio, Github and some additional good practices. In general, its a good course. However, I missed coding and a person explaining the videos (i understand the idea behind this, but the concepts on this particular Mooc are so introductory that the argument is not valid for me)

By Usenaliev N

Dec 08, 2018

Would be great to have more reading materials

By Aman U

Jan 05, 2019

Good but need more explanations for topics.

By PALAKOLLU S M

Aug 10, 2018

Teaching of lessons are simply amazing.

By Jasmine P G

Aug 16, 2018

The course is clear and good to learn,

By Md. Z M

May 23, 2020

The course is well structured with enough content provided on each topic. However, the steps to install softwares on Linux, or any instructions to complete the setup on a Linux machine, is missing. Also, I feel that the course is so basic, both in content and duration, that it could be accommodated easily in a few lectures in the next course in the Specialisation. In a nutshell, it doesn't deserve a price tag.

By Lakmini R

Jun 09, 2020

It was basic but was very helpful. However, more things on actual data science should have been included in the course

By Rahat R

Jun 11, 2020

Computer voice is not good to listen otherwise the course will be a great material to start data science.

By Yujian B

Jun 11, 2020

Automated videos are difficult to focus.

By S.M.Abid R

Jul 20, 2020

It seems very basic

By ANURAG A

Jun 11, 2020

Robot voice should be replaced by the course instructor's face to face interaction.

By Robert T

Jun 09, 2020

Good course content but I really disliked the robotic voice used in the lecture.

By Adam C

Jul 21, 2020

I started the course but didn't like the computer based audio lectures.

By SHENGNAN Y

Nov 13, 2017

I missed the entire course deadline just because I stuck in one of week 4 projects - pushing a file into GitHub. When I went to the forum, there are so many people in the same situation. The main reason is that the week 4 video did not cover the project content well. Overall, compared to other programming courses I took on Coursera, this course is not well organized at all! Instructors basically just read words in slides, no interesting examples and no hands-on practices, especially week 4 slides that look like a syntax reference document. So the entire instruction is very boring, making me wonder why I need to sit here and listen to word reading rather than buying a textbook. Also, people coming here to learn it are new learners. When the instruction skipped much and made the content not logical and complete, it is very difficult for us to understand what the video is talking about. That's why in forum there are so many people expressing their confusions. This entire specialization is the one that I've taken and feel the worst (I got lost in the R course too). I strongly recommend the instructors of this course watch and learn how the instructor of the specialization "Python for Everyone" organizes and teaches the content. He makes programming become very interesting and easy to understand. He also provides many hand-on practices to help learners understand abstract concepts. Unfortunately this specialization instruction is just about reading words in the boring slides.....

By Christina P

Aug 11, 2020

Although they spend ample time explaining how the course was using technology in order to stay up to date, it was far from it. If you are using a Mac computer, be prepared to google every assignment because the Mac instructions are going to be for an older version. Then I expected to learn about Data Science as a career... not in this class. I feel like I know no more about Data Science than I did when I began. I am probably not going to continue through the entire certificate, and instead learn the languages it suggested were more common - SQL and Python, and pick up the "Data Science" somewhere along the way.

By Diego V B P

Mar 11, 2019

"You passed this course! Your grade is 100.00%."

I feel like I have not learned much.

Even though I have taken 100%, as you can see above, the course tackles very little programming. And the final project, it asks to do some activities, but when looking at the forum, I saw that what was talked about, had a level of knowledge that the course had not taught. But worst of all, was receiving financial help from 1/9 courses. Would not it be for the whole course? They are complementary. What will I do with 1 certified course, which as you can see my complaint above, I have not learned anything?