Back to Data Science Math Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Science Math Skills by Duke University

Data science courses contain math—no avoiding that! This course is designed to teach learners the basic math you will need in order to be successful in almost any data science math course and was created for learners who have basic math skills but may not have taken algebra or pre-calculus. Data Science Math Skills introduces the core math that data science is built upon, with no extra complexity, introducing unfamiliar ideas and math symbols one-at-a-time. Learners who complete this course will master the vocabulary, notation, concepts, and algebra rules that all data scientists must know before moving on to more advanced material. Topics include: ~Set theory, including Venn diagrams ~Properties of the real number line ~Interval notation and algebra with inequalities ~Uses for summation and Sigma notation ~Math on the Cartesian (x,y) plane, slope and distance formulas ~Graphing and describing functions and their inverses on the x-y plane, ~The concept of instantaneous rate of change and tangent lines to a curve ~Exponents, logarithms, and the natural log function. ~Probability theory, including Bayes’ theorem. While this course is intended as a general introduction to the math skills needed for data science, it can be considered a prerequisite for learners interested in the course, "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel," which is part of the Excel to MySQL Data Science Specialization. Learners who master Data Science Math Skills will be fully prepared for success with the more advanced math concepts introduced in "Mastering Data Analysis in Excel." Good luck and we hope you enjoy the course!...

RS
May 5, 2020

This was mostly review for me though probability especially Beyes Theorem derivation was new. The instructors provided clear often refreshing ways to look at material.\n\nThank you for a great class!!

VS
Sep 22, 2020

This course syllabus is great. It starts wonderfully. Week 1 to 4 is taught by Paul Bendich, and Daniel Egger the instruction is awesome. Effective way to refresh and add the Data Science math skills!

126 - 150 of 2,090 Reviews for Data Science Math Skills

By J. M I P S

Dec 12, 2020

I learned all the necessary basic mathematical skills for Data Science through this course. Good explanation from the lecturers. I highly recommend this course for new and intermediate students who are learning Data Science to improve their mathematical knowledge.

By Matthew A D

May 4, 2020

I had a really easy time going through the first 3 weeks of the course, but then the 4 weeks were so hard. I got through it, but it was hard. The 1st-3rd weeks were just going through the same things I had learned again, but the 4th week was almost completely new.

By Muhammad A

Feb 5, 2021

Great course, it gives me a brief review about the topic that might be needed as Data Scientist. Week 4 videos have room for improvement. It might need a longer time to explain the topics so learners could understand better the topics that is discussed in Week 4.

By Richard B

Oct 9, 2017

I think this course helped me identify certain areas of weakness within my education that I have already received. As a result, I know where to start in order to shore up the gaps that formal education has solidified. Overall it is a great introductory course.

By Baijnath G

Dec 13, 2020

Cleared my concepts through this course .I had some basic knowledge regarding this modules so it was not hard for me to complete it.

The way tutors explained was commendable!!

I would love to suggest my fellow to enroll in this course to brush up their skills.

By Osama B A

Apr 9, 2020

Thank you, Coursera for this course for free. It was really helpful. It covers almost all the basic math term for Data Science. Looking now for intermediate level course of the same. Hopin that very soon, I will be gifted with a new free course. Thanks again.

By Amit T

May 4, 2020

Something good to learn and in fact the session are so precise to understand that you don't need anyone's help at all to learn thing. Just go through the video lectures. It's that simple. Thank you Coursera for this wonderful journey and amazing sessions.

By Jackie C

Apr 7, 2017

First three weeks were mostly review, but the fourth week was incredibly helpful. Would appreciate some more background/derivation of the binomial theorem - it was hard for me to develop an intuition for it in the same way I could for the Bayesian theorem.

By Don R

Feb 28, 2021

I studied mathematics and statistics in university but had not practiced it for many years. The course was challenging and interesting and refreshed my memory. I think the course would be very very challenging for those with no background in math.

By Val

Dec 4, 2017

Clear and straightforward introduction to the key mathematical concepts that underpin statistics and data science. Video companions and practice quizzes complement the lectures in an effective way and prepare the student well for the graded quizzes.

By arun a

Apr 20, 2018

Very good course. Really enjoyed the explanation very concise and clear. This is however not exhaustive for anyone to gather every bit of possible knowledge in Data Science, do keep that in mind. But this definitely sets the foundation correct.

By Yan T

Nov 1, 2019

Great course brushing off math skills with quiz in the end of each module. The last module is the most difficult, it'll be better if more examples be demonstrated. Good pace and a good course for those who need to get an idea of some topics.

By MILDRED B R

Jul 6, 2020

Very informative and I learned a lot. I enjoyed taking the practice quizzes and the exams. I failed, I made mistakes yet what is the most important I learned a lot. Thank you Coursera and DOST-CARAGA, the Philippines for the opportunity.

By Marios P

Nov 6, 2020

Effective way to refresh and add the Data Science math skills! The course overall was great. It was well taught-- very relevant and clear for the most part. Thanks a lot! I think I am better prepared for data science afterward!

By JUAN G

Jun 25, 2020

Pretty fun and understandable. The last week resources and content was quite deep and confusing when it was explained. From the exercises I've found some errors in the solutions. Briefly, It fulfills my expectations pleasantly.

By Shar M G

Oct 7, 2020

Extra grateful for the refresher on essential math topics needed for data science. Week 1-2 is such a great way to review pre-calculus concepts. Week 3-4 modules were extremely helpful for those in need of Stat refreshers.

By J P K

Oct 13, 2020

Good Course for Beginners, with lot of insights, and its entirely basic ,anyone without any prior knowledge can do the best with this kind of course;And I thank Coursera as well as the Instructor for offering this course.

Aug 1, 2020

Well, except for the last quiz of probability (basic and intermediate) others were too easy, and also this course is highly recommended for the ones who really are entirely new to math concepts present in this course.

By Eduardo C F

Apr 27, 2021

buen curso para recordar y aprender los conceptos que se ven en estadística básica, y algunos temas que en su momento se vieron de manera muy extensa y ahora se ven de manera resumida y aplicada , de manera resumida.

By Alice L

Sep 6, 2020

It was delightful. I think this was a great introductory course. I still had to go on for more learning material for the harder topics, but the structure of the course really provided the backbone on what to learn.

By Aldrich W

Jul 13, 2020

Maybe the first three chapters are a little bit easy; but the fourth chapter is challenging. This is my very first Coursera course, and I have learned a lot. Shout out to Prof. Daniel Egger and Prof. Paul Bendich!

By Alex A

Jun 13, 2020

I was looking for a math class to refresh my math skills in preparation for getting into the field of Data Science and I am very glad that I found this course. It was well taught and very clear. Thank you so much.

By Sree B

May 12, 2021

This course really gives me the very good understanding about the basic concepts which are necessary in the field of Data Science. A must try course for all beginner level who are keen in learning Data science.

By Suparit S

Jul 19, 2020

The course provides comprehensive basic math skills for the ones who might have forgotten all the maths they have learnt. Highly recommended for ones who wants to restart the math skills with clear intuition!

By Yasir M

Jul 13, 2020

It was a good basic level course of math design by Duke University.I just say thanks to all of this course team and especially thanks to coursera for providing such a amazing opportunity to learn more skills.