Back to Single Variable Calculus

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Single Variable Calculus by University of Pennsylvania

Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. In this fifth part--part five of five--we cover a calculus for sequences, numerical methods, series and convergence tests, power and Taylor series, and conclude the course with a final exam. Learners in this course can earn a certificate in the series by signing up for Coursera's verified certificate program and passing the series' final exam....

MM

Jan 11, 2016

This course is tricky and also excellent. I am a computer science student from germany, and it took me quite some time and effort to pass it. The course is well structured, and can be done in time.

PC

Sep 15, 2019

Loved it ! I've grown attached to Prof. Ghrist's lectures, so it is with a heavy heart that I took the final exam and finished this course. I xould really love to take another !

26 - 38 of 38 Reviews for Single Variable Calculus

By Patricia B

Jul 11, 2017

Best calculus course ever.

By Tobias B

Jan 27, 2020

A good intro to calculus

By Lau C C C

Dec 11, 2016

great!

By Vishal G

Feb 08, 2019

I took the discrete calculus part of the course (part 5 of 5) individually of the rest and the teaching is fine with examples for any concept introduced and links between the unfamiliar discrete calculus and ordinary single variable calculus are made all the time. However, I feel like the course isn't so well named as there is only a week of developing the calculus of sequences and then it goes to standard analysis content - I came for the new content only which was a little disappointing. I will pursue it in the future but there wasn't really any suggestions for further study which I found either. The challenge exercises were great for developing on the subject like with the product rule but there isn't much supporting material for the challenge homework like why the product rule formula is asymmetric.

I feel like the end part of the course should be the discrete calculus exam rather than the 5 part final exam because some may be taking this course individually and might not know some of the content in the final part and so, may not pass the course without using external resources to learn things they didn't learn. The final exam should either only be for people who have completed the four previous parts or a choice if you've only taken some of the five parts.

The course was good and Professor Ghrist is great at teaching; just that he takes a little too long but speeding up makes that fine. The topics never feel like they were underutilised or unimportant; every concept is given practical or theoretical justification for its introduction which is fantastic. It would have been nice to see more applications of discrete calculus as a method to evaluate sums, maybe as exercises? I did enjoy the course too, thanks Professor Ghrist and your team.

By karimdzan a

Dec 01, 2017

very cognitive!!

By Kevin P

Mar 20, 2019

Excellent.

By Bartholomew G

Feb 11, 2020

I cannot overemphasize how bad this course is. The instructor speaks in a bizarre, halting cadence that in no way tracks natural speech, and more closely resembles The Twilight Zone's introduction monologue as delivered by your eager-but-untalented uncle. Needing to listen to these lectures makes it nearly impossible to penetrate through to the material itself.

As to the material, the course begins with Taylor series without giving any explanation for how Taylor series work. I paid for the course upfront as a motivating tool but I dropped it and took another calculus course instead. It's that bad.

By mistique

Dec 30, 2019

This guy doesn't explain anything in terms I've learned during a calculus class. I've completed all of my calculus courses and just was hoping for a refresher, but this is one of the worst layouts I've seen. Also he sounds like a computer and the whole thing is just a shit show. Thanks for the MOOCs but this guy needs to change or go.

By Charles L J

Feb 06, 2020

The videos are unwatchable. I have never heard a professor speak with that vocal fry faux-ASMR but it was completely unnecessary and distracting to the content being presented. I thought it was a joke voice but he kept doing it.