Back to Dog Emotion and Cognition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Dog Emotion and Cognition by Duke University

Dog Emotion and Cognition will introduce you to the exciting new study of dog psychology, what the latest discoveries tell us about how dogs think and feel about us, and how we can use this new knowledge to further strengthen our relationship with our best friends....

LT

Aug 04, 2019

Great course with a lot of new information, not just about dogs but even domestication of other species, including humans. The predictability of aggression in humans would be an interesting next topic

BR

Sep 24, 2017

Muy interesante, un curso lleno de teorías y explicaciones en torno al concepto de cognición, un concepto complejo. Recomendado para aquellos que les interesa el tema de la mente humana y canina.

676 - 700 of 704 Reviews for Dog Emotion and Cognition

By Rosanna L

May 28, 2017

Interesting course, some of the videos were a little long for the information provided, but was good to hear about comparisons in dogs, wolves and apes and the experiments conducted.

By Kelly S

May 11, 2017

Wasn't my favorite but I enjoyed some of it.

By Antoinette S

Nov 18, 2016

I may have gotten more out of this course if I hadn't already read "The Genius of Dogs".

I would like to suggest that the slides be subjected to more rigorous proofreading, as I came across several typographical errors. It doesn't look professional.

On quizzes, when a student is asked to select the one FALSE answer, please remove any "all of the above are TRUE" statements. A mentor replied to another student who pointed out this conumdrum on the Week 7 Forum with: "I understand where you are coming from Phil, but only one of the answers as an individual answer is incorrect. The answer "all of the above are correct" is neither true nor false, as only one of the answers in the 'all' is the exception." And I say that if I have a bouquet of roses, 11 red ones and 1 yellow and I were to say that "all of the roses in my bouquet are red" you would correct me, as one is not, and "all" demands 12 out of 12, otherwise, it is not all. Should you still feel a quibble, let me suggest that you contact the Department of Philosophy, ask for someone expert in symbolic logic and run it by him/her.

By Emilee G

Sep 19, 2017

Too much info about evolution and apes etc, not enough with dogs. Good teacher, but not as helpful as I'd hoped.

By kelly g

May 28, 2018

I expect the course to concentrate on dog cognition and have a lot more information on dog behaviours and emotions. Although it did cover these areas i felt some weeks i didn't learn anything new about dogs

By sayna p

Oct 20, 2018

The instructor advertised his book and website so much that it took away from the content.

By Sandra O

Oct 29, 2019

I hadn't heard about ecological approach to cognition, and having someone explain the different ways in which different animals can be "smart" felt helpful even if a bit oversimplified.

That said, it felt a lot like an advertisement (worked on me, I think the product is cool) and a bit rushed in places (typos, some lectures with very little substance).

By Elisabeth M

Oct 01, 2015

Videos kept cutting out either entirely or the sound would cut out. Made it very difficult to follow.

By Jonathan G

Jan 17, 2018

I find this course redundant and useless. You can simply learn how to train your dog without having to take a course. You simply feed and training a dog not to bark, obey commands and obey verbal commands with some authority as dogs have a pack mentality. You do not need a course to learn this!

By Yuxi X

Mar 22, 2016

The professor talks too much about the website and his book! That doesn't make any sense!

By Judi M H

Nov 06, 2018

videos are terribly boring.... lectures are very uneven in information and interest. Reading material is worthless. The idea of the course is good, but this one needs a lot more work for me to spend my valuable time on it.

This is basically an as for the instructor's book and a website called dognition. And it's a bad ad...

By Sidney S

Feb 23, 2019

Not a lot of information if you have even minimal interest in the subject.

Seems more like advertising to go to his somewhat bogus site and spend money for ego and add to his "research."

By Judith M

Feb 22, 2016

This was a giant advertisement and got tiresome very quickly.

By William A K

Oct 23, 2015

Not much here

By Dean M

Jun 12, 2017

Too much emphasis on a misguided belief in the religion of Darwinism. Focus more on real scientific evidence of dog behavior, and the course will be much better.

By Monika M

Jan 04, 2016

I have fallen asleep during 3/4th week, and it have never happened to my during any of the Coursera courses... I'm sorry, but it completely failed my expectations. 3 weeks out of 7 gone, and I have learnt absolutely nothing about dogs. Yes, I got some psychological basis, but that's not what I looked for/ The lecturer politely suggests to buy his book ... well if it is the same quality as the presented course, than it's useless...

By Kari S

Sep 07, 2015

Mostly just an ad for the instructor's startup. Very annoying.

By Annika G

Feb 05, 2016

The lecturer was an annoying speaker and very repetitive. I just couldn't listen to him... I'm sorry. There was also so much about human development etc that I started to wonder when the info about dogs would start....I found the formatting so different from other courses I've taken, that it was hard to get started and figure things out. Adding to that, was the constant interruption of the "paid certificate" page. If I answer "no" once, please leave me alone! I also think it's a bit suspect for a prof to be plugging his own book for one of these courses.

By Michelle M C

Jan 02, 2016

I just do not feel a connection with this professor - he is constantly plugging his book and the website. The content is just not engaging.

By Janet A

Jan 31, 2017

A waste of time. One long advertisement for the instructor's book.

By silbi s

Apr 15, 2016

The guy is full of shit. He's just trying to sell you his book and his online game product. He was also obsessed with bragging about all of his accomplishments. I was quite disgusted by him at the end. I paid for the certification, but now I want my money back.

By Sara K

Aug 27, 2015

This is basically just one giant commercial for the web site. A whole lot of talk, but not a lot of information. I was going to finish the course anyway, to pick up what is in there, but I just cannot stand any more plugs. Very disappointed.

By Ashley

Oct 22, 2015

A waste of money. Only $50, but it was so terrible I did not even want to finish it. And apparently I waited too long to get a refund as well. Never again.

By Adam P

Sep 30, 2016

If you didn't like the first few lectures, you won't like the rest. It won't get better. More repetition, clichés, and advertisement that anything else.

By Grainne M

Mar 06, 2016

Not learning much and constantly being bombarded with sales tactics. Not impressed.